Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL First Round Mock Draft w/ Surprise Picks (4/5/12)

The names in bold are the "surprise" picks.

1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

- Shocker. No one expected the Colts to draft Andrew Luck until Adam Schefter reported it recently. *sarcasm*

2. Washington Redskins (Trade From Rams) - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

- Another shocker (*sarcasm*). Redskins need a quarterback badly if they want to stay competitive in the NFC East.

3. Minnesota Vikings - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

- Adam Schefter made a interesting tweet earlier today.

RT @CLynch_: Trent or Claiborne at 4 for CLE? ... My guess today, Saturday, and I reserve right to change my mind, is Claiborne will be gone

It would make sense. Vikings gave up so many touchdowns and their secondary is getting older and slower.

4. Cleveland Browns - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

- Even with Matt Kalil on the board, Richardson is a elite talent and too hard to pass up. The Browns can get Weeden at 22 and Mohamed Sanu in the second. All three problems fixed.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Luke Kuechly, MLB, Boston College

- The Bucs middle linebacker is in huge question right now. Quincy Black and Mason Foster are competing for a starting role and I believe they both aren't starting material. Since Claiborne is off the board, I see them taking Kuechly over Kalil.

6. St. Louis Rams - Matt Kalil, OT, USC

- The Rams get a blindside protector in Matt Kalil. Bradford will be happy and the Rams will start the season in the right track.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

- Over Justin Blackmon? Yes over Justin Blackmon. Recent reports say Gilmore is ranked higher than Claiborne on their big board. Their secondary is in mess right now and could be improved.

8. Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

- Dolphins need a QB badly and the Dolphins OC is Mike Sherman (Former Texas A&M Head Coach) so he is familiar with Tannehill.

9. Carolina Panthers - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

- Panthers need to shore up the defensive line. Cox is the best pass rusher tackle in the class.

10. Buffalo Bills - Cordy Glenn, OT/OG, Georgia

- Reports coming in that Bills are high on Glenn over Iowa tackle Riley Reiff. Glenn can play both the guard and the right tackle position. Bills are going to need someone to replace Demetress Bell.

11. Kansas City Chiefs - Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis

- The Chiefs need a instant impact at the nosetackle position. Poe is either a boom or bust prospect because he had a mediocre college career but has great intangibles.

12. Seattle Seahawks - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

- Do I like this pick? No. But Pete Carrol does for some odd reason. If this happens, Kam Chancellor moves to outside linebacker.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

- Protecting the quarterback is the number one concern for this team.

14. Dallas Cowboys - Quinton Coples, OLB, UNC

- Since Cowboys are a 3-4 defense. Coples will be used as a linebacker in the 3-4 instead of defensive end (which he claims he can play in a 3-4 defense). If he gives in full effort, this kid will be a monster.

15. Philadelphia Eagles - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

- Eagles will draft a raw prospect with tons of potential. He told ESPN that he worked with a coach from the Eagles so they know a lot about him.

16. New York Jets - Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina

- The Jets get a elite pass rusher in Melvin Ingram. He can play both linebacker and defensive end and perform well. This is a Rex Ryan type of player.

17. Cincinnati Bengals - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

- The Bengals have a need in the offensive guard position since Bobbie Williams is gone. DeCastro is the safest pick at guard since Steve Hutchison.

18. San Diego Chargers - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

- The Chargers get the pass rusher they have been trying to look for.

19. Chicago Bears - Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

- The Bears dont really need a wide receiver with the addition of Brandon Marshall so they need a pass rusher. Jones has been going higher in draft boards recently and wouldn't surprise me if he is drafted here.

20. Tennessee Titans - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

- Cortland Finnegan is gone so the Titans cornerback depth is very slim. Kirkpatrick is the best cornerback available.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

- The Bengals dont really care about there behavior issues and cornerback is a need for them so Jenkins is a perfect fit.

22. Cleveland Browns - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State

- The Browns dont sound confident in Colt McCoy as their starter. Weeden would be picked much higher if it weren't for his age (28 years old). He is going to have a great offensive line, a great runningback (Richardson), and possibly a good receiver in the second round.

23. Detroit Lions - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State

- Lions need offensive line help. Mike Adams is a solid player but he has off the field issues. The Lions can deal with troubled prospects though (Mikel Leshoure, Nick Fairley, etc..).

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dont'a Hightower, MLB, Alabama

- With the release of James Farrior. The Steelers look to replace him with a underrated prospect.

25. Denver Broncos - Peter Konz, OC, Wisconsin

- The Broncos tried to sign Jeff Saturday but failed. Protecting Peyton Manning is the number one key. Konz can play both center and guard and should fit quite nicely.

26. Houston Texans - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

- No, its not a surprise pick. But most people dont see Floyd falling this far in the first round. Andre Johnson and Michael Floyd should be a sick duo.

27. New England Patriots - Nick Perry, DE, USC

- Patritos need a pass rusher with the loss of Mark Anderson.

28. Green Bay Packers - Shea McClellin, DE/OLB, Boise State

- Him along with Clay Matthews is scary.

29. Baltimore Ravens - Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illionois

- A very underrated prospect to help Ray Lewis and company.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

- 49ers get a raw prospect with tons of potential. He had an amazing combine which led to his increase on draft boards. Alex Smith gets another weapon for him to use.

31. New England Patriots - Devon Still, DT, Penn State

- Patriots can need a improvement at the defense tackle position.

32. New York Giants - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

- Kareem McKenzie was awful last season protecting the quarterback. Martin is a instant upgrade.

*PS I have the Colts taking Coby Fleener at 34.

Totally forgot about him. I guess he would go to the Texans instead of Floyd.

St. Louis would literally crap themselves if Blackmon fell to them at the top of the 2nd, considering they would have probably taken him #2 overall.

Floyd at #26 ???? way too low.

Besides your blatant disregard for w/o's, I like some of the new wrinkles early in your mock (Claiborne#3&Kuechly#5).

I dont see the browns taking a QB before Floyd. They need weapons on that team and a Richardson and Floyd to go with Little and Watson is a solid offensive core. Plus they have a pretty solid Oline. Taking a QB would set that team back for another 5 years.

why not? They need more weapons. They brought in Moss but he is a short term answer, Crabtree hasnt lived up to expectations. There only main weapons are Gore and Davis.

And Manningham is a long term answer. They would be smart to do BPA. Doubt that that would be a WR.