Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian on Red Flags on Draft Prospects [Merge]

Playoffs2013

Going to have to take a red flag player sometimes to be good

Why? Is it worth the handful of games that he might contribute against the inevitable suspensions and embarrassment to the team? A red flag player is just that. A RED FLAG! There should be enough prospects out there that are not red flags that can contribute to the team and don’t have the potential baggage of a troubled or drug user player that may have some ability IF he can stay out of trouble. If you continue to support them despite their personal problems all you end up doing is reinforcing the attitude that they can continue on their destructive behavior because “Im to good to be let go”. If there is no reason for someone to better themselves, they won’t!! Don’t need the hassles. Don’t let them in the building.

Why? Is it worth the handful of games that he might contribute against the inevitable suspensions and embarrassment to the team? A red flag player is just that. A RED FLAG! There should be enough prospects out there that are not red flags that can contribute to the team and don’t have the potential baggage of a troubled or drug user player that may have some ability IF he can stay out of trouble. If you continue to support them despite their personal problems all you end up doing is reinforcing the attitude that they can continue on their destructive behavior because “Im to good to be let go”. If there is no reason for someone to better themselves, they won’t!! Don’t need the hassles. Don’t let them in the building.

millions of dollars is the EXACT reason to better yourself, he was a kid in college, as for "the handful of games that he might contribute", I want your crystal ball I need to know if I can win the lottery, it MAY have been 1 time NOT 2 (least thats what his former defensive Coordinator is backing him up on, young talent overrides risk. why? cause young talent is less likely set in their ways then someone thats in their 30's and a veteran causing drama, then their is that other issue as I have said, if you draft a Corner after you are looking at a project player, the colts have plenty of those at Corner we need a starter and a shutdown Corner at that

millions of dollars is the EXACT reason to better yourself, he was a kid in college, as for "the handful of games that he might contribute", I want your crystal ball I need to know if I can win the lottery, it MAY have been 1 time NOT 2 (least thats what his former defensive Coordinator is backing him up on, young talent overrides risk. why? cause young talent is less likely set in their ways then someone thats in their 30's and a veteran causing drama, then their is that other issue as I have said, if you draft a Corner after you are looking at a project player, the colts have plenty of those at Corner we need a starter and a shutdown Corner at that

Your statement was that you HAVE to take a red flag player to be good, and I want to know why. I have no crystal ball that says he will be a problem or not however the odds are that if he is trouble now he will be trouble later and my opinion is that it is NOT worth the risk. I still say that there is enough non problem players with the same amount of talent that are available. If these troublemakers see that they WONT'T get the millions of dollars to start with because they are problems, they may not become problems in the first place and THAT is bettering yourself. The attitude of “if you pay me this THEN I won’t cause problems” is a problem in itself.

You're assuming that someone can't change their ways if they've made mistakes. It needs to be done on a case by case situation after the staff has had a chance to speak with the kid. There is nothing wrong with taking someone who has been in trouble if you believe they've grown up.

If these troublemakers see that they WONT'T get the millions of dollars to start with because they are problems, they may not become problems in the first place and THAT is bettering yourself. The attitude of “if you pay me this THEN I won’t cause problems” is a problem in itself.

I agree with this 100%.

And I don't think FanFromtheWasteland is assuming someone can't change, but he is saying bad behavior shouldn't be rewarded which I agree with.

If someone is handed a "reward" for doing bad (the million dollar contracts in this case is the reward), why would they change?

Nope. Reality. He has drafted well in his time, and you can even look it up. He has/had an uncanny ability to find undrafted/late round players that could have a good impact

Well thats like your opinion man...

He has made alot of whiffs lately too, every team is gonna hit on a late round gem every now & then, it's the early first & second round picks that have suffered since 2006 or so, it's just too bad several of those later round gems you speak of don't wear a horseshoe anymore...

You're assuming that someone can't change their ways if they've made mistakes. It needs to be done on a case by case situation after the staff has had a chance to speak with the kid. There is nothing wrong with taking someone who has been in trouble if you believe they've grown up.

I am not assuming they cant change I am only saying that the odds are they won’t. My original reply was to the statement that you HAVE to take a red flag player to be good which I want to know why that is the case, and that imo it is not worth the risk. Let some other team see if certain player has changed. Just like buying a car. Let someone else take the huge depreciation hit then get the broken in product later.

I agree with this 100%.

And I don't think FanFromtheWasteland is assuming someone can't change, but he is saying bad behavior shouldn't be rewarded which I agree with.

If someone is handed a "reward" for doing bad (the million dollar contracts in this case is the reward), why would they change?

thank you for stating it better than I did.

Well thats like your opinion man...

He has made alot of whiffs lately too, every team is gonna hit on a late round gem every now & then, it's the early first & second round picks that have suffered since 2006 or so, it's just too bad several of those later round gems you speak of don't wear a horseshoe anymore...

Well, we don't know when Chris took over and when Bill was still in control. I already posted what I've heard, but that's just speculation. And we still have plenty of solid late round picks like Bethea and Mathis still on the team. Regardless, here's hoping Grigs can find us some good talent too and make a name for himself

Well, we don't know when Chris took over and when Bill was still in control. I already posted what I've heard, but that's just speculation. And we still have plenty of solid late round picks like Bethea and Mathis still on the team. Regardless, here's hoping Grigs can find us some good talent too and make a name for himself

I hope he does. I've like the pick ups we've made so far. I also like the level head he seems to have. And yes, I like that he isn't talking too much to the media and the public. He's done some talking ehre and there, but he doesn't seem to have diarrhea of the mouth like others in the past and like our fearless owner...I really wish Jim would learn when to stop, but I'll keep wishing on that one...anyways I digress. Here's to Grgison and Pagano doing a good job and caring us into our bright future (hopefully)...

Diarrhea

http://www.nfl.com/d..._headline_stack

In the wake of news that Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said Thursday that occasional marijuana use by draft prospects is not "as big a deal as it was 10 years ago."

In a conference call with reporters, Mayock added that habitual use of any drug remains a worry among teams executives.

"If it was a one-time thing and not that big a deal, then it’s not like you’re beating women or you’re a convicted felon or murdering people," Mayock said, according to the Detroit Free Press. "There’s hot-button issues now, but I don’t think one time with pot is a hot-button issue

--

There's Mayock's take on the issue

My take on Mayock's view.... I agree that people make choices sometimes when young that they later regret. But if he or anyone else believes for one minute that Adams using pot at the combine was his first time then I have some swamp land I wanna sell you. Normal "occasional" users of weed don't go to what could be one of the biggest days of their life all highed up. By doing that one could certainly argue that being high was more important to him than his future and also sheds light on where his priorities are.