Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Pittman video

CR91

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I hope Patmon makes the team.  MJP will be heartbroken if he doesn’t.  He (DP) looks bigger this year.  

Huh?

“Makes the team”…?

He’s had a good off-season.   Unless something completely unexpected happens,  I think DP will make the team.  The only question for Patmon is….    Is he WR4 or WR5?

I think the only WR question mark as we head into training camp is Strachan.   And that’s because of a hamstring.   But ultimately, I think MS makes the final roster. 

That’s my view from 1800 miles away…. 

1 hour ago, TheShadow said:

who was throwing them the ball?  Ryan? Ryan talked about small groups.  He has done this in SoCal before.

Pitt mentioned they were working with a high school kid so maybe he was throwing them passes

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

“Makes the team”…?

He’s had a good off-season.   Unless something completely unexpected happens,  I think DP will make the team.  The only question for Patmon is….    Is he WR4 or WR5?

I think the only WR question mark as we head into training camp is Strachan.   And that’s because of a hamstring.   But ultimately, I think MS makes the final roster. 

That’s my view from 1800 miles away…. 

Most likely only Patmon or Strachan make it. Right now Patmon has the leg up because he was able to participate in OTA. Then if that was Ryan throwing the ball to him it gives him a even bigger leg up. But if Strachan looks better in TC who knows. 

All I know is Patmon has been working like crazy this offseason with Pittman. When I see a Strachan IG story it looks like he is always vacationing. Now I don’t know if that is true but right now  I think Patmon has the upper hand.

i don’t think both make the team. And if TY doesn’t come back most likely couteee makes it because of having a different body type.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Most likely only Patmon or Strachan make it. Right now Patmon has the leg up because he was able to participate in OTA. Then if that was Ryan throwing the ball to him it gives him a even bigger leg up. But if Strachan looks better in TC who knows. 

All I know is Patmon has been working like crazy this offseason with Pittman. When I see a Strachan IG story it looks like he is always vacationing. Now I don’t know if that is true but right now  I think Patmon has the upper hand.

You and I see this 180 degrees differently.   You may be right.   But I think the only way you’re right is if we only go with 5 wide receivers and not 6.   I don’t think Strachan loses his job to someone else like Coutee.  But he could lose it to a numbers crunch. 

I just don’t see the Colts risking losing Strachan to a claim from another team.   So we won’t know until cutdown. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You and I see this 180 degrees differently.   You may be right.   But I think the only way you’re right is if we only go with 5 wide receivers and not 6.   I don’t think Strachan loses his job to someone else like Coutee.  But he could lose it to a numbers crunch. 

I just don’t see the Colts risking losing Strachan to a claim from another team.   So we won’t know until cutdown. 

I was thinking about this the other day, I could see the Colts only keeping 5 WR's, especially since the plan is to use Hines more in the passing game.

5 minutes ago, LiveAndLetAddai said:

I was thinking about this the other day, I could see the Colts only keeping 5 WR's, especially since the plan is to use Hines more in the passing game.

And if that happens (which it might) then I’ll be holding my breath for 24 hours hoping Strachan isn’t claimed and can go to the Practice Squad. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And if that happens (which it might) then I’ll be holding my breath for 24 hours hoping Strachan isn’t claimed and can go to the Practice Squad. 

Me too, should be interesting to see how it all shakes out.  I feel the same in regards to TE, keep 4?, and OL, keep 10?  For fear of losing Ogletree or Van Demark via waivers?

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I doubt teams will be lining up to claim

a 25 year-old WR with very little NFL experience.

So many WRs coming in each year, so most teams have a project they like.

But I keep they keep 6 anyways.

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, it seems like there isn’t really room for Patmon and Strachan.  Those two are both pure X-WRs, as is Pittman.  If ya figure that Dulin and Pierce are both flankers, who could work a little in the slot or at the X, and Campbell is in the slot but could play a little flanker…bottom line seems to me that Harris or Coutee would be a better choice than a 3rd X-WR if we kept 6 WRs.  We’d be way better off keeping a pure slot guy, given Campbell’s injury history.

I think they will keep six because Dulin and special teams. I think it shakes out like this. If they sign TY before camp then scrap Coutee off.

Pittman 

Campbell 

Pierce 

patmon 

Dulin 

Coutee 

Patmon and Coutee will have to really show up to not be a healthy scrap each week.

I won’t cry if Strachan is cut and gets claimed. He is a 7th round draft pick so I don’t care.

It is kind of scary how young we are at WR. Pittman and Campbell need to step up and be a leader and stay healthy. They are the vets now. It’s unproven but I don’t go as far as saying we will be bad. Because they need to play to see what we have. Not sure I would of taken this chance with a aging Ryan but we will see how it works. If Campbell can just stay healthy I think we will be fine. 

Some of the vet WR around the league who are still out there will sign probably a few days before nfl camps open. 

25 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I doubt teams will be lining up to claim

a 25 year-old WR with very little NFL experience.

So many WRs coming in each year, so most teams have a project they like.

But I keep they keep 6 anyways.

I doubt anyone will be lining up for Kiki Coutee either.    But if I’m going to lose one, I’d rather lose Coutee than Strachan.   

11 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yeah, it seems like there isn’t really room for Patmon and Strachan.  Those two are both pure X-WRs, as is Pittman.  If ya figure that Dulin and Pierce are both flankers, who could work a little in the slot or at the X, and Campbell is in the slot but could play a little flanker…bottom line seems to me that Harris or Coutee would be a better choice than a 3rd X-WR if we kept 6 WRs.  We’d be way better off keeping a pure slot guy, given Campbell’s injury history.

I don’t share this view at all.   I think this organization doesn’t seem to play close attention to X, Y, Z, Flanker, you name it.  

Patmon was already on the roster when we drafted Strachan.   I don’t think the Colts see a conflict.   I think they see raw talent that they hope to develop and they don’t appear to get caught up kn who does what.    I think they expect most every receiver to be able to do most everything.  

Im sure my view won’t be popular, but that’s ok. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I doubt anyone will be lining up for Kiki Coutee either.    But if I’m going to lose one, I’d rather lose Coutee than Strachan.   

Coutee does give us a guy with experience at least. But you do have a point that both would probably be a healthy scratch on game day so which one has the chance to be claimed. I would have to look it up but Coutee might be in the league enough years now where he doesn’t have to hit the transaction wire. But if he goes I bet he would be claimed before Strachan because of experience. He fits the body mold of TY more.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Coutee does give us a guy with experience at least. But you do have a point that both would probably be a healthy scratch on game day so which one has the chance to be claimed. I would have to look it up but Coutee might be in the league enough years now where he doesn’t have to hit the transaction wire. But if he goes I bet he would be claimed before Strachan because of experience.

I believe the Colts are now viewed as a franchise that knows how to spot real talent.  

So I’d hate to invest in Strachan…. Then cut him and hope he clears waivers, only to lose him to a team like Philly with Sirianni, or the LAC with Telesco, or Cleve with Berry,  or Chic with Eberflus,  or whichever team is currently employing John Dorsey these days.    Way too many teams with connections to Ballard and/or Reich. 

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe the Colts are now viewed as a franchise that knows how to spot real talent.  

So I’d hate to invest in Strachan…. Then cut him and hope he clears waivers, only to lose him to a team like Philly with Sirianni, or the LAC with Telesco, or Cleve with Berry,  or Chic with Eberflus,  or whichever team is currently employing John Dorsey these days.    Way too many teams with connections to Ballard and/or Reich. 

We haven’t really invested in Strachan. I really don’t care if he makes it or not. I am not that invested in a 7th round draft pick. If he beats out Patmon that’s fine. May the best one win. But either way I just don’t care.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

We haven’t really invested in Strachan. I really don’t care if he makes it or not. I am not that invested in a 7th round draft pick. If he beats put admin fine. May the best one win. But either way I just don’t care.

He was kept on the 53 man roster last season, which is an investment in itself. 

Both Strachan and Coutee would get snatched up quick. Patmon probably not so quick. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It is kind of scary how young we are at WR. Pittman and Campbell need to step up and be a leader and stay healthy. They are the vets now. It’s unproven but I don’t go as far as saying we will be bad. Because they need to play to see what we have. Not sure I would of taken this chance with a aging Ryan but we will see how it works. If Campbell can just stay healthy I think we will be fine. 

Some of the vet WR around the league who are still out there will sign probably a few days before nfl camps open. 

I think you're forgetting Wayne in this. The Colts seem to have confidence in him being able to make up for lacking a vet WR... because he is one.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He was kept on the 53 man roster last season, which is an investment in itself. 

Both Strachan and Coutee would get snatched up quick. Patmon probably not so quick. 

Well Coutee was on the PS most of the season last year. He didn’t go anywhere. I think everyone here is over valuing Strachan worth. Anyway only two of the three is still my guess as to who makes it. Will be interesting to see who it is. I really don’t care which two. I just say Coutee because he gives us some experience and the best replacement for TY body type. I just want to win. 

I see Dulin as our new pascal. I think he could end up be a steady hand like Zach when needed.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think you're forgetting Wayne in this. The Colts seem to have confidence in him being able to make up for lacking a vet WR... because he is one.

Yes I know. But nothing beats the steady experience of a guy playing on the field.

We haven’t really invested in Strachan. I really don’t care if he makes it or not. I am not that invested in a 7th round draft pick. If he beats out Patmon that’s fine. May the best one win. But either way I just don’t care.

Its not that Strachan was only a 7th round pick, so who cares?    Ballard and the scouts think they’ve uncovered a Diamond in the rough.   He’s 6’5” and 225 and runs 4.5.   And he played zero high level football until he came to the Colts. 

Think of all of our draft video’s over the years where Ballard says we want traits, high level traits.   Those are things you can’t coach up.   And you can’t coach up 6’5” 225 and 4.5.   But we can coach up his ability to read defenses and the routes that he runs, and even his hands.   Those you can make better. 

If you’re hung up on the round we drafted him in, think of it this way….  Had he gone to a Big Boy school like Georgia,  or Notre Dame, or USC, he likely would’ve been drafted higher.  
The kid has raw talent.   We’ve given Patmon two years of polishing, odds are we’d like to give Strachan the same. 

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its not that Strachan was only a 7th round pick, so who cares?    Ballard and the scouts think they’ve uncovered a Diamond in the rough.   He’s 6’5” and 225 and runs 4.5.   And he played zero high level football until he came to the Colts. 

Think of all of our draft video’s over the years where Ballard says we want traits, high level traits.   Those are things you can’t coach up.   And you can’t coach up 6’5” 225 and 4.5.   But we can coach up his ability to read defenses and the routes that he runs, and even his hands.   Those you can make better. 

If you’re hung up on the round we drafted him in, think of it this way….  Had he gone to a Big Boy school like Georgia,  or Notre Dame, or USC, he likely would’ve been drafted higher.  
The kid has raw talent.   We’ve given Patmon two years of polishing, odds are we’d like to give Strachan the same. 

This happens every year with a late round pick. Fans go crazy and they wind up doing nothing. I just don’t get invested in that late of a draft pick because chances are slim they contribute.

Well Coutee was on the PS most of the season last year. He didn’t go anywhere. I think everyone here is over valuing Strachan worth. Anyway only two of the three is still my guess as to who makes it. Will be interesting to see who it is. I really don’t care which two. I just say Coutee because he gives us some experience and the best replacement for TY body type. I just want to win. 

Coutee was a late waive (last cut day) by Houston that surprised a lot of folks, and we jumped on him quickly (I think it was around the time we knew TY would miss time). I don't mean necessarily that someone will grab him for a starter roll, but he'll get grabbed by someone (PS or 53). He's been in the league 4 seasons, but not sure he's met the accrued 4 year stipulation (weeks on 53). Strachan and Patmon both have a little film out there which will interest teams. Patmon has a bit of a rep for not being a my-ball guy, so that likely hurts him. Strachan is seen as raw with a high ceiling so teams are more likely to romanticize lol. All three would at least make it to a team, 53 or PS. But I think Strachan is the most likely claimed for a 53 spot. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Coutee was a late waive (last cut day) by Houston that surprised a lot of folks, and we jumped on him quickly (I think it was around the time we knew TY would miss time). I don't mean necessarily that someone will grab him for a starter roll, but he'll get grabbed by someone (PS or 53). He's been in the league 4 seasons, but not sure he's met the accrued 4 year stipulation (weeks on 53). Strachan and Patmon both have a little film out there which will interest teams. Patmon has a bit of a rep for not being a my-ball guy, so that likely hurts him. Strachan is seen as raw with a high ceiling so teams are more likely to romanticize lol. All three would at least make it to a team, 53 or PS. But I think Strachan is the most likely claimed for a 53 spot. 

I think Coutee has one more year to accrue.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think Coutee has one more year to accrue.

Yup, after I posted, I looked it up. Looks like Coutee only had 2 weeks on the 53 last year, which he needs 6 min for an accrued season. 

If TY isn't resigned, I think Coutee stands a decent chance of sticking on the 53. We're over stocked on bigs, not so much on Z/slot types. That is, unless they start running 6-3+ guys from Z... 

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This happens every year with a late round pick. Fans go crazy and they wind up doing nothing. I just don’t get invested in that late of a draft pick because chances are slim they contribute.

I can’t/won’t promise you he will turn into something special….  But I think the organization thinks he will contribute someday.    If he plays much this year I think he’d have a Granson-like season.   But perhaps next year us where you’d see the jump to being a more steady contributor.   I’m simply saying, if we’re all patient, we will be rewarded with Strachan becoming a decent player. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can’t/won’t promise you he will turn into something special….  But I think the organization thinks he will contribute someday.    If he plays much this year I think he’d have a Granson-like season.   But perhaps next year us where you’d see the jump to being a more steady contributor.   I’m simply saying, if we’re all patient, we will be rewarded with Strachan becoming a decent player. 

They thought Deon cain was special too. Ballard praised him like crazy.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ok….  I’ll put it another way….    Isiah Rogers and Dez Patmon were drafted toward the bottom of the 6th round.   I think it’s picks 212 and 213.    Strachan was drafted a year later near the top of the 7th round.   About 13-15 picks later in a different draft.   What I’m saying is it looks like we’ve hit on Rogers.   Patmon had a good camp here in his third year.   So another possible success story.   If we’re patient with Strachan, we may see similar results.   

We also hit on 7th rounders like Franklin and Adams.    We’ve got an eye for talent.   No team is perfect.   But we have a very high batting average. 

19 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sometimes these guys hit; sometimes they don’t. We’ll see. But I like taking a chance on a guy with Stachan’s traits. If he makes it, it’s a great job by Ballard and team. If not, he was only a 7th round pick, as you say. 

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Sometimes these guys hit; sometimes they don’t. We’ll see. But I like taking a chance on a guy with Stachan’s traits. If he makes it, it’s a great job by Ballard and team. If not, he was only a 7th round pick, as you say. 

Thanks for putting it that way.   

Low risk, but high reward if he pays off.    :thmup:

57 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Cain is battling with Pascal for a depth spot on the Eagles roster.

Cain looked great in year one in camp. They had him running Z type separation routes, 9s, slants, etc.. Then when he healed the next season, they tried to turn him into a possession receiver (which he's never been). 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Cain is battling with Pascal for a depth spot on the Eagles roster.

Cain looked great in year one in camp. They had him running Z type separation routes, 9s, slants, etc.. Then when he healed the next season, they tried to turn him into a possession receiver (which he's never been). 

Well he has failed everywhere he has gone. So what’s that say.

Archived