Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson is hired by the Vikings for a senior personnel spot in the front office

2006Coltsbestever

On 2/12/2022 at 10:33 AM, Superman said:

Please don't make me defend Ryan Grigson, lol.

I assume the Vikings are going to give him an office and computer, and he'll watch film and provide evaluations, and be a touchstone for Kwesi on player evaluations. And him being a hardcore traditional football guy, matched up with Kwesi's analytical background, provides a good balance.

Once thing Kwesi said in his intro presser is that he think the most value they get is from having one set of data married to another set of data, where there's not much overlap between the two sets, but they both relate to the same topic. So one report on QBs from one vantage point, compared to another report on QBs from another vantage point, evaluated together. He feels that gives them the most comprehensive understanding of the topic. Seems elementary. But thinking about the kind of front office he's putting together and how they'll complement each other, it makes sense he'd have someone like Grigson on his staff. 

Agree.  Grigson didn't become a GM because he was terrible at everything.  If Grigson was completely incompetent at his previous positions when Irsay hired him as GM then Irsay is as much to blame as Grigson for the demise of Andrew Luck.

I don't actually know the guy and don't want to speculate about him.  But from a purely performance standpoint I do remember seeing a video where he had a saying on the wall and I think it said "Protect number 12" or something like that.  I think he was trying to assemble a good O-line because he knew how important it was and he failed at it.  

And Luck does shoulder some blame since he was willing to do almost anything to win.  He never tried to protect himself and it cost him.

So - hopefully Grigson learned from this experience and can provide value in the role he has now.  

On 2/12/2022 at 4:42 PM, NFLfan said:

I hope not. 

I figure that is it. 

Btw, if I recall correctly, you defended Grigson's selection of Dorsett based on Dorsett being the highest rated player on Grigson's board. If you had to redo it, who would you have selected? The players that other fans wanted turned out not to be too much more successful (Landon Collins, Mack Brown).  I recall Dustin wanting Grady Jarett who was drafted late but he has turned out among the best picks in that draft. 

That was a fun draft.

Your guy Eric Kendricks wound up being really good. I always thought it should have been a trade back. The guys that might have been good picks at the time are basically Donovan Smith, Preston Smith, and Eric Kendricks. 

Dustin had a nice pull with Grady Jarrett, but he wound up being a fifth rounder, which seemed crazy when he had 3 sacks in the Super Bowl. 

On 2/13/2022 at 11:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Seems they were barely on speaking terms.   In more than 55 years of following football I have NEVER heard of that happening anywhere before.

Not defending Grigson on this, but Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh couldn't stand each other. AJ Smith and Marty Schottenheimer literally didn't speak to each other for months during the season. I don't think any of those teams hired counselors to try to rehab those relationships. But there have definitely been other GM/coach relationships that were completely broken beyond repair.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Not defending Grigson on this, but Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh couldn't stand each other. AJ Smith and Marty Schottenheimer literally didn't speak to each other for months during the season. I don't think any of those teams hired counselors to try to rehab those relationships. But there have definitely been other GM/coach relationships that were completely broken beyond repair.

Understood.   Wasn’t trying to imply this was the only GM/HC situation that was bad.  I’m sure there are others to be named.   Only that this was the only one I have ever heard of where a counselor was brought in.  

7 hours ago, Superman said:

I read that Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer did not speak with each other for months last season. By all reports, they seemed to have a great working relationship before last year. I'm not quite sure what changed it. Rumor is that Spielman wanted Zimmer to play the young guys but he refused. Zimmer played Sean Mannion in a meaningless game when he could have played the rookie QB Kellen Mond to see how he performed.

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I read that Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer did not speak with each other for months last season. By all reports, they seemed to have a great working relationship before last year. I'm not quite sure what changed it. Rumor is that Spielman wanted Zimmer to play the young guys but he refused. Zimmer played Sean Mannion in a meaningless game when he could have played the rookie QB Kellen Mond to see how he performed.

Yeah, the whole 'I see enough of Kellen Mond in practice thing. Nice job, Coach. Zimmer has always been kinda salty, but that was uncalled for and pointless.

Archived