Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Grigson is hired by the Vikings for a senior personnel spot in the front office

2006Coltsbestever

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It has got them nowhere. I think this man has black mail some where, just joking haha . IMO he ruined Andrew's career by not building a Line. That is JMO. 

No love lost between me and Grigson, but I think Colts fans need to get over it. He had and displayed a lot of faults in his time here. I don't think that makes him unemployable. And the fact that someone who has recently worked closely with him is directly hiring him kind of testifies to that.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

No love lost between me and Grigson, but I think Colts fans need to get over it. He had and displayed a lot of faults in his time here. I don't think that makes him unemployable. And the fact that someone who has recently worked closely with him is directly hiring him kind of testifies to that.

Yeah everyone deserves a 2nd chance or maybe even a 3rd chance but he ruined a potential top 10 QB ever and set our franchise back 5 years back, that is just my opinion. I don't hate the guy but as a GM I think he sucks Homer Simpson GIF

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Grigson should not be able to get any job in the NFL without being asked about the way him and Pagano ruined Luck. I will NEVER let that one go. He should carry this around his neck for the rest of his professional life in the league. This should never be forgotten... :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

So do I. The Vikings have a GM, Grigson will be a deputy of some sort.

Yeah they hired him as a personnel scout + front office opinions. I am happy for him,  I am the type of person that would never try and block a person for different jobs. I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me. Maybe he will thrive it in his role at Minny. 

I will say this, he is the main reason why Andrew's career got ruined so that is my beef with him. We never gave Andrew a Line or running game. He and Chuck both rode Andrew's coat tails to 3 straight 11 win seasons and an AFC Title Game. Without Andrew from 2012-2014 we would've stunk.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Grigson should not be able to get any job in the NFL without being asked about the way him and Pagano ruined Luck. I will NEVER let that one go. He should carry this around his neck for the rest of his professional life in the league. This should never be forgotten... :dunno:

How do you think the Vikings feel about it?

I wouldn't hire him. I'm not shocked other people have a different opinion.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

How do you think the Vikings feel about it?

I wouldn't hire him. I'm not shocked other people have a different opinion.

I'm not shocked he still is getting jobs. The NFL is incredibly incestuous business. In a lot of cases it's much more important who you know and who you are buddies with than what your track record or skill level is. Hell even with the Colts, you can see it in all sorts of hires - DC, position coaches, etc. Those jobs are not really open for anybody to get. Those are limited to people Reich and Ballard know.

But yeah... it's probably not the end of the world for the Vikings, it's not like he is making any huge decisions for them... I don't mind him getting jobs in the league. I just want him to never forget what he did to one of the best QB talents in the history of the league. All the best QBs in the league nowadays... NONE of them were as talented as Luck was coming in the league. And him and Pagano made sure he never achieved what he seemed destined for. 

Everyone can put it all on Grigson but it wasn’t all his fault. Luck had hero syndrome which contributed to it.  The offense scheme wasn’t the best at keeping him healthy either. It all contributed to it. Grigson also has mentions he should of asked Irsay for help in having people around him to help him and guide him.

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Everyone can put it all on Grigson but it wasn’t all his fault. Luck had hero syndrome which contributed to it.  The offense scheme wasn’t the best at keeping him healthy either. It all contributed to it. Grigson also has mentions he should of asked Irsay for help in having people around him to help him and guide him.

Who were some of the best Colts offensive players when Luck was the QB?

From the Daily Norseman:

The Colts had one of the biggest turnarounds in league history in Grigson’s first season, going from 2-14 in 2011 to 11-5 in 2012. The Colts turned over about 70% of the roster that season, and the turnaround was enough to garner Executive of the Year honors for Grigson from Pro Football Weekly and The Sporting News.

Lol. 

Vikes fans don't like this move. 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Well, Irsay did take that leap of faith and hired him over other capable candidates (Nick Caserio, Eric DeCosta, Les Snead, Will Lewis etc. to name a few then). So Irsay shares some of the blame too, IMO.

https://www.nfl.com/news/opportunities-present-themselves-for-hot-gm-candidates-09000d5d825b843b

10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

While it wasn't all his fault he shares a large portion of it probably over 60%. The fact is he made terrible decisions in free agency giving big contracts to players that were over the hill, while also never finding a decent OL or a decent RB. Luck got hero syndrome because if he didn't try to be the hero every game we didn't stand a chance.

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

While it wasn't all his fault he shares a large portion of it probably over 60%. The fact is he made terrible decisions in free agency giving big contracts to players that were over the hill, while also never finding a decent OL or a decent RB. Luck got hero syndrome because if he didn't try to be the hero every game we didn't stand a chance.

My point exactly. Luck was playing with RBs that were always injured (Vick Ballard ?) or just did not pan out (Trent Richardson). His best running back may have been Ahmad Bradshaw or maybe a 30 something year old Frank Gore. Who were his WRs? He had Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne in separate years and that was right before they retired.. Who did Luck have as a reliable target for several years besides TY Hilton? The best I can think of is Jack Doyle. And his OL was atrocious every year. 

On the Vikings site, fans hate this move and they blame Grigson for not doing more to protect Luck and put reliable weapons around him. I guess he tried. Who thought Trent Richardson would turn out to be a bust? He was highly thought of in college. He did not work out for the Colts and the Colts lost a first round pick, if not more, to trade for him.

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Who were some of the best Colts offensive players when Luck was the QB?

For the skill positions really just TY Hilton.  Coby Fleener started off right but then he tailed off.

Dwayne Allen pretty much the same as fleener.  Started off right but then tailed off.

Everybody else was just a mix  of free agent and CFL here today gone tommorow type guys for 

the most part.  I guess I will include Moncrief as a decent player Grigson drafted, but

he also tailed off.  TY Hilton really was his best and the rest of everything else was pretty average. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

My point exactly. Luck was playing with RBs that were always injured (Vick Ballard ?) or just did not pan out (Trent Richardson). His best running back may have been Ahmad Bradshaw or maybe a 30 something year old Frank Gore. Who were his WRs? He had Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne in separate years and that was right before they retired.. Who did Luck have as a reliable target for several years besides TY Hilton? The best I can think of is Jack Doyle. And his OL was atrocious every year. 

On the Vikings site, fans hate this move and they blame Grigson for not doing more to protect Luck and put reliable weapons around him. I guess he tried. Who thought Trent Richardson would turn out to be a bust? He was highly thought of in college. He did not work out for the Colts and the Colts lost a first round pick, if not more, to trade for him.

Unless he's drastically changed some of his philosophies I wouldnt want him to have a free controlling hand at personnel selection.  He believes in getting talent from any and everywhere.  He'll go scouring the Arena Football leagues and the CFL bringing in players like that more than he should be.  Places where it's not all that common to get good NFL talent.   I'm not sure what his role was in Cleveland but I don't think he had as much leeway as he had in Indy.  I can't think of too many areas he did well with personnel here.  And he was especially bad at getting decent players to rush the QB. 

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If I had a QB like Luck I would draft O.Lineman out the rear because he can make average WR's look great. That is what Ballard did but it was too late by 2018, Luck had already been beat up so much. Luck was awesome in 2018 but was playing injured even then. 

Grigson will go down as the guy that ruined Andrew's career and I stand by it. If Andrew would've had Ballard from the beginning we would be winning SB's right now IMO or being in the Final 4 every year.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I had a QB like Luck I would draft O.Lineman out the rear because he can make average WR's look great. That is what Ballard did but it was too late by 2018, Luck had already been beat up so much. Luck was awesome in 2018 but was playing injured even then. 

Grigson will go down as the guy that ruined Andrew's career and I stand by it. If Andrew would've had Ballard from the beginning we would be winning SB's right now IMO or being in the Final 4 every year.

I agree. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is what Homer thinks of Grigson angry homer simpson GIF- I told Homer to head butt him lmao , read what he said haha (of course joking)

I also forgot what Pat McAfee had said about Grigson. He had nothing good to say. I like Pat and respect his opinion. 

17 hours ago, NFLfan said:

From the Daily Norseman:

Lol. 

Vikes fans don't like this move. 

Please don't make me defend Ryan Grigson, lol.

I assume the Vikings are going to give him an office and computer, and he'll watch film and provide evaluations, and be a touchstone for Kwesi on player evaluations. And him being a hardcore traditional football guy, matched up with Kwesi's analytical background, provides a good balance.

Once thing Kwesi said in his intro presser is that he think the most value they get is from having one set of data married to another set of data, where there's not much overlap between the two sets, but they both relate to the same topic. So one report on QBs from one vantage point, compared to another report on QBs from another vantage point, evaluated together. He feels that gives them the most comprehensive understanding of the topic. Seems elementary. But thinking about the kind of front office he's putting together and how they'll complement each other, it makes sense he'd have someone like Grigson on his staff. 

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Please don't make me defend Ryan Grigson, lol.

I assume the Vikings are going to give him an office and computer, and he'll watch film and provide evaluations, and be a touchstone for Kwesi on player evaluations. And him being a hardcore traditional football guy, matched up with Kwesi's analytical background, provides a good balance.

Once thing Kwesi said in his intro presser is that he think the most value they get is from having one set of data married to another set of data, where there's not much overlap between the two sets, but they both relate to the same topic. So one report on QBs from one vantage point, compared to another report on QBs from another vantage point, evaluated together. He feels that gives them the most comprehensive understanding of the topic. Seems elementary. But thinking about the kind of front office he's putting together and how they'll complement each other, it makes sense he'd have someone like Grigson on his staff. 

That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Grigson will be involved only in player evaluation. 

I do appreciate that Kwesi values everyone's opinions and uses a melange of viewpoints to make decisions. I just wondered "Why Grigson?"  What you wrote helps me to better accept the move. 

I was listening to Pat McAfee and Robert Mathis. They described how Grigson came in and said he had to change the culture, bringing in a lot of free agents and ridding the team of leaders like Antoine Bethea who went on to many successful years afterwards. It affected the team in ways that fans could not appreciate. I hope Kwesi values building through the draft. As McAfee pointed out, when you build through the draft, players grow together and value playing for that team. Free agents sign mostly for the money (I am saying this, not McAfee). Mathis and McAfee believe the Colts are back on the right track with a GM who wants to build through the draft, not through free agency.

I hope Kwesi does not rid the team of guys like Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter. 

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Grigson will be involved only in player evaluation. 

I do appreciate that Kwesi values everyone's opinions and uses a melange of viewpoints to make decisions. I just wondered "Why Grigson?"  What you wrote helps me to better accept the move. 

I was listening to Pat McAfee and Robert Mathis. They described how Grigson came in and said he had to change the culture, bringing in a lot of free agents and ridding the team of leaders like Antoine Bethea who went on to many successful years afterwards. It affected the team in ways that fans could not appreciate. I hope Kwesi values building through the draft. As McAfee pointed out, when you build through the draft, players grow together and value playing for that team. Free agents sign mostly for the money (I am saying this, not McAfee). Mathis and McAfee believe the Colts are back on the right track with a GM who wants to build through the draft, not through free agency.

I hope Kwesi does not rid the team of guys like Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter. 

"Melange" is an awesome word, thanks for that.

I think his connection with Grigson from the Browns explains it. I'm obviously not a fan of Grigson, but Kwesi knows what he's getting. He's a really thoughtful dude.

And I doubt he comes in and just uproots the entire foundation.

26 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am for everyone getting 2nd chances but Reggie Wayne is even on record saying he couldn't stand the guy. Reggie almost loves everyone so that says a lot. He won't be the GM for you guys but he will still have some pull at his position. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

And I doubt he comes in and just uproots the entire foundation.

I hope not. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

think his connection with Grigson from the Browns explains it. I'm obviously not a fan of Grigson, but Kwesi knows what he's getting. He's a really thoughtful dude.

I figure that is it. 

Btw, if I recall correctly, you defended Grigson's selection of Dorsett based on Dorsett being the highest rated player on Grigson's board. If you had to redo it, who would you have selected? The players that other fans wanted turned out not to be too much more successful (Landon Collins, Mack Brown).  I recall Dustin wanting Grady Jarett who was drafted late but he has turned out among the best picks in that draft. 

That was a fun draft.

I don’t want Grigson banned forever from working in the NFL, but he should simply never be considered for a GM job ever again. Period. 

That said, since we’re listing some of Grigson’s greatest hits, I’m surprised no one has mentioned this one…..

In the last year or so of their time working together, Grigson and Pagano HATED each other so much that Irsay had to bring in a marriage counselor to see if they could help them work together.  Literally, a marriage counselor.   Seems they were barely on speaking terms.   In more than 55 years of following football I have NEVER heard of that happening anywhere before.  To me, this might be the biggest Red Flag with Grigson.  I recognize Grigson wanted to fire Pagano and Irsay wouldn’t let him, but Grigson was in on the hiring of Pags.  He signed off.   Not working with your own guy and letting it get that bad is not something I think can be explained away if he ever tries for another GM job. 

Just wanted this on the record.   

Archived