Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mayock fired

John Hammonds

And thus ends the Great Television Celebrity Experiment.

After the head coach sent naked pictures of cheerleaders to their own general manager, resulting in his dismissal.

After trading a 3 and a 5 for Antonio Brown, only to release him after he pitched a fit.

After drafting Henry Ruggs 12th overall, only to have him drive 156 mph under the influence, resulting in a fatal accident.

After drafting Damon Arnette 19th overall, only to have him brandish a weapon in social media while making threats.

Geez.  And I thought bringing in Vontaez Burfect was a bad move.  They were like, hold my beer.

How do you detect red flags in players who have not been in trouble before in college? That is really hard. Was it being in Vegas that messed it up for the Raiders players?

Makes sense. If they want to clean house, might as well send the GM packing along with head coach. Jim Harbaugh will be courted soon. 

20 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Wonder what happens to Carr?    He could demand a trade depending on the coach hire 

I doubt he'll do that, he's always been a loyal warrior. Dennis Allen was the HC when he was drafted, and he made it through the lean years with him, and then Jack Del Rio who led the Raiders back to semi-prominence, followed by Gruden and for most of this season, Bisaccia. 

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

He wasted alot of money on bad contracts and/or unproductive players, and the Raiders were 1 game over .500 in his 3 years at the helm.

What is really disappointing is that they were building a pretty good team before Gruden got there and fired everyone. I cannot recall everyone but the previous administration drafted Amari Cooper, Carr, Karl Joseph. They had built a pretty good OL. Gruden and Mayock got rid of nearly everyone that the previous GM brought it. They finally had some stability. Gruden ruined it. Why are people so enamored with Gruden?

I hope they keep the interim guy. He did a great job.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What is really disappointing is that they were building a pretty good team before Gruden got there and fired everyone. I cannot recall everyone but the previous administration drafted Amari Cooper, Carr, Karl Joseph. They had built a pretty good OL. Gruden and Mayock got rid of nearly everyone that the previous GM brought it. They finally had some stability. Gruden ruined it. Why are people so enamored with Gruden?

Don't forget they traded Mack which was mindboggling.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Not to mention Khalil Mack! That's  a generational talent you build around, not ship off to Chicago!

Like Bill Cowher, "Chucky" gets alot of mileage out of 1 Superbowl win but unlike the newly minted Hall of Fame coach, Gruden didn't build the team he rode to a championship, Tony Dungy did.

I also agree that Rich Bisaccia deserves the Raiders coaching job, he had quite an audition for it by steadying that ship in some pretty rough waters, and fighting their way into the postseason with wins over a few teams with more talented rosters.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't forget they traded Mack which was mindboggling.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

Not to mention Khalil Mack! That's  a generational talent you build around, not ship off to Chicago!

Like Bill Cowher, "Chucky" gets alot of mileage out of 1 Superbowl win but unlike the newly minted Hall of Fame coach, Gruden didn't build the team he rode to a championship, Tony Dungy did.

I also agree that Rich Bisaccia deserves the Raiders coaching job, he had quite an audition for it by steadying that ship in some pretty rough waters, and fighting their way into the postseason with wins over a few teams with more talented rosters.

Yes, Mack of course! (I am half asleep. Lol.) That Mack trade made no sense. It seemed like Gruden wanted to rid the team of all the key players the previous regime had brought in. 

8 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

They also traded Amari Cooper to the Cowboys.

9 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Yep, he deserves at least a 3 year stint instead of Mike Davis looking elsewhere, IMO. This year's year end Raiders team played like a "team", which couldn't be said for lots of previous teams. 

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, he deserves at least a 3 year stint instead of Mike Davis looking elsewhere, IMO. This year's year end Raiders team played like a "team", which couldn't be said for lots of previous teams. 

Nor a number of other teams.

Somehow, if history prevails, they'll hire someone else and go back to being disjointed.

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, Mack of course! (I am half asleep. Lol.) That Mack trade made no sense. It seemed like Gruden wanted to rid the team of all the key players the previous regime had brought in. 

I didn't think the Mack trade was that bad.

They got two first-round picks and third-round and sixth-round pick.  Not saying it was a good trade to make.

16 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I had not realized that last year Gruden/Mayock also traded Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson, two parts of what was a more than solid offensive line. 

I wonder who they will bring in as GM. It should be the GM's decision who to have as coach and the incoming GM may want to make a big splash. I think they should give the job to Bisaccia to maintain some stability and continuity. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

They got two first-round picks and third-round and sixth-round pick.  Not saying it was a good trade to make.

I think the trade is only good if the players they bring back are top players. Mack was a great player for them.  If you look at the first round of a draft, you find so many busts. Mack was the real thing. 

18 hours ago, Myles said:

The Vikings had traded Stefon Diggs to Buffalo and got a first round draft pick. I did not like the trade, as Diggs was such a valuable part of our offense. However, we drafted Justin Jefferson with that pick (2020); so, it worked out. We did not lose out. Diggs had been a 5th Round draft choice that was great.

Now, we had another 1st round draft pick in 2020. We selected Jeff Gladney. He is not in the league anymore after an off-the-field incident. Had he been drafted with the pick that we received for Diggs, that would have been an even bigger disaster than it already is. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings had traded Stefon Diggs to Buffalo and got a first round draft pick. I did not like the trade, as Diggs was such a valuable part of our offense. However, we drafted Justin Jefferson with that pick (2020); so, it worked out. We did not lose out. Diggs had been a 5th Round draft choice that was great.

Now, we had another 1st round draft pick in 2020. We selected Jeff Gladney. He is not in the league anymore after an off-the-field incident. Had he been drafted with the pick that we received for Diggs, that would have been an even bigger disaster than it already is. 

Yeah, there are lots of differences that can factor into trades.  Diggs for a first rounder doesn't seem like a great trade.  However if there was a feeling of Diggs not signing with the Vikings when his contract is up, it could be a better trade.  

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah, there are lots of differences that can factor into trades.  Diggs for a first rounder doesn't seem like a great trade.  However if there was a feeling of Diggs not signing with the Vikings when his contract is up, it could be a better trade.  

I hear you. In this case, Diggs had just signed an extension the season before he was traded. But the team had cap issues after the season. That is one reason he was traded and others like Xavier Rhodes were cut. 

Archived