Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Houston on the Luck retirement

Restinpeacesweetchloe

20 minutes ago, colts89 said:

He gave everything he had while playing and never cheated the team out of anything on the field. Thats all I'll say on Luck since everything else has been said about him several times over.

If you're still bitter/mad at Luck about what he did, I'd suggest you take a second look on how you take in your entertainment.

giphy.gif

I agree...frankly I find it kinda disgusting that anyone would expect him to put his team ahead of his personal health and family.

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Seriously? Anyone in his position would have done the same thing.  Irsay was in the driver's seat on that one.  If he wanted to, he could have filed an appeal or whatever to recoup some of the money.  He flat out said he had no interest in doing so and he was letting Irsay keep the money.  Anyone thinking Luck should have given it back is just being willfully naive.  he's a human being and his family was obviously his first priority.  why would he give back money he didn't have to that would help make sure his family was supported for as long as possible?  

oh come on...you know that's not what it was.  good lord

that's one perspective.  Another perspective is that he walked away from hundreds of millions of dollars he could have earned as well as whatever records and glory he could have gotten if he'd been able to get back to 100% and continue playing.  He did this for the good of his wife and kids.  Some would find that admirable.  

No I mean it.  He cost real people real money, especially his teammates.  For a man with generational wealth already earned, he took food out of the mouths of many of his teammates, most of which don't have generational type of wealth.  

I think Luck played his guts out on the field.  But I think he all but robbed people, especially his teammates, and especially the ones who came over here like Houston mentioned.

You can find it admirable if you want.  I do not.  He screwed people.  And to me that is not admirable. 

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

Meh, agree to disagree

Sorry, it's new news. It's the first time a departed player has given us raw thoughts.

Of course they know more than the public... That's just common sense. But they wouldn't be in the Dr's meetings and it's not their body so no matter what they see or hear, they simply don't know. 

The guys share training rooms and tubs lol... you think doctors and trainers aren't around in the training room, and others aren't able to hear each other. They don't internally treat injuries as top secret. They just try not to let it out to the media.

Sure one could definitely say that. I would disagree. 

Well if you think a franchise athlete, one that is the center of his team, should exhibit risky behavior while under contract, not sure what to tell you. His self-caused-injury impacted business, players, fans, and the overall franchise to the negative. Remove that, and a lot of his injury history/rehab is gone.

Because a lot of those folks got their feelings hurt that their favorite team was going to lose more games, because winning games is more important than a man's health. That, imo, is incredibly entitled and selfish. 

Fans admire players that overcome setbacks/injury, play for team, play though pain, put the team first. That's always been part o the game. It is a game, but it's a game players play and embrace for what it is. And injury is part of the game.

If every player folded their tent when injured or got a boo boo, the NFL wouldn't be what it is, the teams wouldn't have the fans they do, and the players wouldn't be getting the huge salaries they do. 

We have a QB now that has went through as much or more in a shorter period of time. He just had surgery to remove a bone, and is playing through that pain plus the pain of two sprained ankles. He has a different level of commitment to the game and team, and perhaps just a stronger desire to compete. I'll take that type of guy any day.

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

giphy.gif

I agree...frankly I find it kinda disgusting that anyone would expect him to put his team ahead of his personal health and family.

No not the team.  His teammates.  These are real people with real problems too.   He was under contract with the team.  People associated with the team lost money because of him.  He got paid a bunch of money even though he quit.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

No I mean it.  He cost real people real money, especially his teammates.  For a man with generational wealth already earned,

it was assumed that, even if he hadn't retired, he would have been on either PUP or IR (don't recall which, don't care enough to look it up) to start the season anyway.  so he was going to miss 6 games minimum.  what if he was on IR and missed the season anyway?  should he have still given money back?  

he took food out of the mouths of many of his teammates, most of which don't have generational type of wealth.  

even a player making vet minimum for a couple of years could be set for life if they were smart.  he didn't take food out of anyone's mouths...he may have caused some players to have to settle for a porsche instead of a ferrari but c'mon now. lol

9 minutes ago, J@son said:

Seriously? Anyone in his position would have done the same thing.  Irsay was in the driver's seat on that one.  If he wanted to, he could have filed an appeal or whatever to recoup some of the money.  He flat out said he had no interest in doing so and he was letting Irsay keep the money. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850994-colts-owner-jim-irsay-says-andrew-luck-is-giving-up-nearly-500m-by-retiring

Anyone thinking Luck should have given it back is just being willfully naive.  he's a human being and his family was obviously his first priority.  why would he give back money he didn't have to that would help make sure his family was supported for as long as possible?  

oh come on...you know that's not what it was.  good lord

that's one perspective.  Another perspective is that he walked away from hundreds of millions of dollars he could have earned as well as whatever records and glory he could have gotten if he'd been able to get back to 100% and continue playing.  He did this for the good of his wife and kids.  Some would find that admirable.  

He comes from wealth. The amount he parted with wasn't keeping lights on or food on the table. It was just adding to what was already incredible wealth.

And one could point out that he got paid for over a season that was lost because of his own actions (snowboarding). So both that season+ along with the late retirement, created decreased value to the fans who spent their hard earned money (who don't have generational wealth) to see a mediocre product.

37 minutes ago, colts89 said:

He gave everything he had while playing and never cheated the team out of anything on the field. Thats all I'll say on Luck since everything else has been said about him several times over.

If you're still bitter/mad at Luck about what he did, I'd suggest you take a second look on how you take in your entertainment.

He got paid for a year + for not playing due to his own snowboarding incident. 

He got paid for a year for retiring due to a calf strain. 

Those are simple facts.

Cheating is a strong word that I personally wouldn't use. But he did get enriched for doing nothing for 2+ years, with one + year due to his own actions outside of football. 

I'm neither still mad or bitter. I do find it interesting however what players have to say. I was mad when it happened, but quickly moved on. Moving on however still doesn't make the long term impacts (we're still impacted) of his decision go away. Talking about those impacts don't necessarily mean one is still mad or bitter. It's simply something that happened to impact the team, just like the many good things. And thinking he's simply soft, doesn't equate to still being mad or bitter. It just is what it is. 

17 minutes ago, J@son said:

His decision also affected everyone at home.  

For the record, what you quoted was from Houston. 

On your reply though, every player is impacted at home by their work. I'm sure Wentz's home life has been impacted by his injuries, and struggles to fight though them. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, it's new news. It's the first time a departed player has given us raw thoughts.

K.  sorry, I don't agree it's new 'news'.  but whether it is or isn't new news isn't supposed to be talked about so :P

The guys share training rooms and tubs lol... you think doctors and trainers aren't around in the training room, and others aren't able to hear each other. They don't internally treat injuries as top secret. They just try not to let it out to the media.

Again, the ONLY one that would know how severe the injuries truly felt was Andrew Luck.  Anyone else is just guessing based on what they see.  You don't honestly think that every medical consultation and examination takes place in front of the entire team, right?

Well if you think a franchise athlete, one that is the center of his team, should exhibit risky behavior while under contract, not sure what to tell you.

cool

His self-caused-injury impacted business, players, fans, and the overall franchise to the negative. Remove that, and a lot of his injury history/rehab is gone.

Hmm..it seems to me that the snowboarding thing was only a fraction of his total injury history

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/andrew-luck/5057

Fans admire players that overcome setbacks/injury, play for team, play though pain, put the team first. That's always been part o the game. It is a game, but it's a game players play and embrace for what it is. And injury is part of the game.

Of course they do.  but the admiration of fan's isn't going to keep his body in good enough health to continue living a happy, productive life and being their for his wife and kids. Fan admiration means pretty much nothing.  

If every player folded their tent when injured or got a boo boo, the NFL wouldn't be what it is, the teams wouldn't have the fans they do, and the players wouldn't be getting the huge salaries they do. 

oh dear god he did not fold his tent just because he got a boo boo.  See that's the kind of hyperbole that just makes it difficult to take you seriously.  And before you reply telling me so, I am already aware that means absolutely nothing to you. :)

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

And one could point out that he got paid for over a season that was lost because of his own actions (snowboarding). So both that season+ along with the late retirement, created decreased value to the fans who spent their hard earned money (who don't have generational wealth) to see a mediocre product.

I've already discussed the money portion.  That was irsay's decision.  Take it up with him. 

Personally, I thought Irsay SHOULD have gotten as much back...imo that would have been the right thing to do.  I say that for the benefit of the other players that were still on the team, but not because I think I'm entitled to a better product.

It would be my guess that as far as players knowing the severity of each others injuries, I highly doubt that. Locker rooms are about doing your job, and staying tough. I have a hard time picturing players going on about how tough or painful their injury is. In fact, quite the opposite....I see them keeping it all inside. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He got paid for a year + for not playing due to his own snowboarding incident. 

He got paid for a year for retiring due to a calf strain. 

Those are simple facts.

Cheating is a strong word that I personally wouldn't use. But he did get enriched for doing nothing for 2+ years, with one + year due to his own actions outside of football. 

I'm neither still mad or bitter. I do find it interesting however what players have to say. I was mad when it happened, but quickly moved on. Moving on however still doesn't make the long term impacts (we're still impacted) of his decision go away. Talking about those impacts don't necessarily mean one is still mad or bitter. It's simply something that happened to impact the team, just like the many good things. And thinking he's simply soft, doesn't equate to still being mad or bitter. It just is what it is. 

On your reply though, every player is impacted at home by their work. I'm sure Wentz's home life has been impacted by his injuries, and struggles to fight though them. 

You obviously feel some type of way if you think Andrew Luck is soft since I know you know his injury history. Have fun with that mentality.

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

No not the team.  His teammates.  These are real people with real problems too.   He was under contract with the team.  People associated with the team lost money because of him.  He got paid a bunch of money even though he quit.  

Like I said...that was Irsay's decision.  Anyone expecting Luck to just give money back is simply being unrealistic.  

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I am aware.  I simply edited the post down to the specific portion I wanted to respond to. I figured you already knew that Houston said it, not you. :P 

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You can find it admirable if you want.  I do not.  He screwed people.  And to me that is not admirable. 

for the record, I never said that I did find it admirable....I simply said it was an alternate perspective.  I guess in terms of admiration, I'm indifferent.  I get what he did and why.  I don't necessarily admire him for it, but I don't find it 'not admirable' either.  I've never felt that he owed me anything.  I guess that's the difference between me and a lot of other fans.  Many fans believe they are entitled to things that they simply aren't, imo.

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

K.  sorry, I don't agree it's new 'news'.  but whether it is or isn't new news isn't supposed to be talked about so :P

Again, the ONLY one that would know how severe the injuries truly felt was Andrew Luck.  Anyone else is just guessing based on what they see.  You don't honestly think that every medical consultation and examination takes place in front of the entire team, right?

cool

Hmm..it seems to me that the snowboarding thing was only a fraction of his total injury history

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/andrew-luck/5057

Of course they do.  but the admiration of fan's isn't going to keep his body in good enough health to continue living a happy, productive life and being their for his wife and kids. Fan admiration means pretty much nothing.  

oh dear god he did not fold his tent just because he got a boo boo.  See that's the kind of hyperbole that just makes it difficult to take you seriously.  And before you reply telling me so, I am already aware that means absolutely nothing to you. :)

A fraction? You must be buying the whole "the snow boarding didn't impact the labrum" narrative...  Sorry, I don't. You don't go snowboarding after a season where you had labrum injury / busted ribs / spleen. 

And on the hyperbole... Yes, I don't care lol.. He had a calf injury. He wasn't rehabbing spinal surgery lol.. 

18 minutes ago, J@son said:

I've already discussed the money portion.  That was irsay's decision.  Take it up with him. 

Personally, I thought Irsay SHOULD have gotten as much back...imo that would have been the right thing to do.  I say that for the benefit of the other players that were still on the team, but not because I think I'm entitled to a better product.

Fans buy tickets assuming certain things. They bought 17 and 19 tickets assuming he'd play, and the team would be competitive.

IIRC, the first year he missed the Colts knew and kept it quiet as to not impact ticket sales. There's also enough smoke out there that Luck had been thinking about leaving earlier in the 19 season.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A fraction? You must be buying the whole "the snow boarding didn't impact the labrum" narrative...  Sorry, I don't. You don't go snowboarding after a season where you had labrum injury / busted ribs / spleen. 

And on the hyperbole... Yes, I don't care lol.. He had a calf injury. He wasn't rehabbing spinal surgery lol.. 

Because I've seen enough to know how this goes, I'm gonna end with this:

cool-story-bro-2.jpg

12 minutes ago, J@son said:

I never said that I did find it admirable....I simply said it was an alternate perspective.  I guess in terms of admiration, I'm indifferent.  I get what he did and why.  I don't necessarily admire him for it, but I don't find it 'not admirable' either.  I've never felt that he owed me anything.  I guess that's the difference between me and a lot of other fans.  Many fans believe they are entitled to things that they simply aren't, imo.

QFT

29 minutes ago, J@son said:

I am aware.  I simply edited the post down to the specific portion I wanted to respond to. I figured you already knew that Houston said it, not you. :P 

for the record, I never said that I did find it admirable....I simply said it was an alternate perspective.  I guess in terms of admiration, I'm indifferent.  I get what he did and why.  I don't necessarily admire him for it, but I don't find it 'not admirable' either.  I've never felt that he owed me anything.  I guess that's the difference between me and a lot of other fans.  Many fans believe they are entitled to things that they simply aren't, imo.

Well he was lauded in many circles for being courageous or something.  I said in here a few times, that I had no stake in it.  He saved me some money that year in a way.  I didn’t  pay to take my family to see JB.

but the other men he worked with were affected.  That’s all.  I don’t think he needs to be crucified but he received 25+ mill.  That’s not torture.

I would not use that example for my sons unless I used it to illustrate how ones actions affect others.

like I said his freedom to do what he wants doesn’t change the idea that he screwed people.

47 minutes ago, J@son said:

Like I said...that was Irsay's decision.  Anyone expecting Luck to just give money back is simply being unrealistic.  

Look man I don’t have a problem with that.   All I am saying is he screwed the men he worked with and people who bought tickets in god faith.  

sometimes a man may have occasion to say screw everyone else, I need to do for me and mine .

I just don’t think that’s above crirticism.

Archived