Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Prediction and Opinion (part2 - post update)

EastStreet

QB Prediction and Opinion (part2 - post update)  

41 members have voted

1. 1. When will Wentz return (and play)

• 6 weeks from yesterday (Seahawks)
    • 7 weeks (Rams)
    • 8 weeks (Titans)
    • 9 weeks (Dolphins)
    • 10 weeks (Ravens)
    • 11 weeks (Texans)
    • 12 weeks (49ers) - likely past the draft pick threshold for the regular season)
    • 13 weeks (Titans)
    • 14 weeks (Jets)
    • 15 weeks (Jags) -
    • 16 weeks (Bills)
    • 17 weeks (Bucs)
    • 18 weeks (Texans)
    • 20 weeks (after the Bye for Pats)
    • 21 weeks (Cards)
    • 22 weeks (Raiders)
    • 23 weeks (Jags)
    • will not return for the regular season
  2. 2. What should the Colts do?

• Be patient, and roll with the depth (Eason, Hundley, Ehlinger, Morton) until Wentz returns
    • Trade for Foles (he basically did an advertisement for Frank today)
    • Trade for JB (haven't seen anyone suggest this)
    • Trade for Mariota (folks are starting to beat this drum on ESPN and NFL.com)
    • Try and tempt Rivers back (doubt he'd leave St Michael's after we said no thanks)
    • Try and tempt Alex Smith back (this is interesting)
    • Trade for someone else (please list)
  3. 3. How do you feel about the 1st round pick in 2022?

• I don't care about the 1st round pick in 2022. Start Wentz as soon as he can come back
    • I care about the 1st round pick. Take your time bringing Wentz back.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/2021 at 12:20 AM

ESPN just said on NFL Live that this has become all about Reich.

Dan said aside from the Wentz centric talk, Indy is a great place for a rook or backup to flourish. Good OL, good D (we'll see), good running game.... The only question is that can Reich tailor a game plan for Eason or whom ever gets the start.

I do agree to an extent that Reich can impact the situation a ton. I just hope he's not overly conservative. It's going to be awfully hard to just "RTDB" vs a lot of the teams we play early.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN just said on NFL Live that this has become all about Reich.

Dan said aside from the Wentz centric talk, Indy is a great place for a rook or backup to flourish. Good OL, good D (we'll see), good running game.... The only question is that can Reich tailor a game plan for Eason or whom ever gets the start.

I do agree to an extent that Reich can impact the situation a ton. I just hope he's not overly conservative. It's going to be awfully hard to just "RTDB" vs a lot of the teams we play early.

I agree with this. The run game is also going to take a lot of pressure off him. If defense can play lights out that will help also.

He comes back for the Rams, one week before the Titans game.

No reason to trade for anyone since he comes back in week 2.

I care about the draft pick.  But he will be ready before the 25% line is breached, so the draft pick won't come into play.  If its close, I say delay his come back since we are not going to the SB this year anyway, and if he misses that much time we won't even be in the playoffs.  We still may need that 1st for a LT.

Of course, this is all based upon not even knowing how the surgery went.

7 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I dont care about the draft pick this squad is definitely  primed for a Super Bowl run this year with talent everywhere you, dont risk missing the playoffs by a game because you dont want to sacrifice a draft pick.

I think a lot of stuff has to happen (player development) for us to be a legit SB contender. Not saying it's impossible, just saying we would need a lot of things to go our way. Especially on D.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think a lot of stuff has to happen (player development) for us to be a legit SB contender. Not saying it's impossible, just saying we would need a lot of things to go our way. Especially on D.

I disagree, last season we outplayed the Bills in playoffs, we were close to AFC title game (Bills ran over Ravens) and we are better on paper this year. RB 1-2-3 punch, Pittman and Campbell both should be better, Fisher and upgrade at LT once back and Wentz should at least be equal Rivers.

On Defense Paye should be a huge add, Blackmon in year 2 and Tell back so less Rock.

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I disagree, last season we outplayed the Bills in playoffs, we were close to AFC title game (Bills ran over Ravens) and we are better on paper this year. RB 1-2-3 punch, Pittman and Campbell both should be better, Fisher and upgrade at LT once back and Wentz should at least be equal Rivers.

On Defense Paye should be a huge add, Blackmon in year 2 and Tell back so less Rock.

Our pass D isn't great. Both our starting DEs are new. Oke and RYS both had poor years. Blackmon played poorly in the 2nd half. That's a lot to overcome, and projects a lot of things to go our way. You just can't automatically assume guys will get better.

Oke had a good 2019, but had a sophomore slump. RYS had a great 2H of 2019, then was plagued by injury. Our pass rush is very conservative and we gave up our two leading pressure guys at the position. Turay still has a lot to prove.

I agree long term Paye will be good, but it typically takes a DE a year or two to find their stride in the NFL. Aside from that, just a TON of "projection"... And our schedule, especially early, is not near as soft as last year.

And on O, I agree we're trending a lot better, but questions at LT could be huge early if not all season. And we play a lot of teams with much better run Ds, especially early. JT's success last year came vs some of the worst run Ds in the league.

And of course we're assuming everyone is healthy all year, which we know will not be the case.

Based on what I have read today I think he will be back to face the Rams week two.  I would give Eason a preseason game or two.  If he looks good and improves I would be okay with standing pat with him.   If he struggles I would trade for Foles.  I wouldn’t wait too long on making a move for Foles.  Another team could lose a QB.  And he would be a target for sure.  For me Eason has to prove he is the guy quickly.  I would feel differently if we were a rebuilding team but we are not.  We are a contending team and starting a long season with our QB1 injured out the gate.  I would feel better with Foles in the wings right now under these circumstances.  I want Eason to succeed too but not at the expense of the season.  Ballard pulled the trigger on the JB trade at the start of a season.  He could do it again this year if Eason struggles in the preseason.  I trust Ballard’s and Reich’s judgement here.  I’m looking forward to this preseason.  It’s going to be an important one.  Big decisions on the horizon for sure.

Tell is an upgrade over RYS from what we have seen from Rock. 

I'd rather have Lewis who is improving each year and Paye a physical beast who by all reports looks great already over an aging and often ineffective Houston and Autry who is solid but not a cornerstone.

Oke just has to be better then Walker for an upgrade there and I think most would be surprised if that isnt the case.

Blackmon with no camp coming off a major injury played that well, we can assume he will get better with a full off season and more time removed from injury, we cant guarantee it of course but can assume. Most all every does is assume until it happens, call it by different names like projection but everything is a type of assumption. 

There is no sure fire 2 after K.C.,  Buffalo ? Again we outplayed them last postseason. Browns ? A lot bigger assumption than Indy. Tennessee ? With that D, huge stretch. All would need a lot to go right to make AFC title game. KC is one Mahomes injury away from major trouble touching on cant assume everyone stays healthy.

We are sitting very nicely as of now......cant afford possibly losing games for sake of saving a draft pick.  Our window is open now.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Based on what I have read today I think he will be back to face the Rams week two.  I would give Eason a preseason game or two.  If he looks good and improves I would be okay with standing pat with him.   If he struggles I would trade for Foles.  I wouldn’t wait too long on making a move for Foles.  Another team could lose a QB.  And he would be a target for sure.  For me Eason has to prove he is the guy quickly.  I would feel differently if we were a rebuilding team but we are not.  We are a contending team and starting a long season with our QB1 injured out the gate.  I would feel better with Foles in the wings right now under these circumstances.  I want Eason to succeed too but not at the expense of the season.  Ballard pulled the trigger on the JB trade at the start of a season.  He could do it again this year if Eason struggles in the preseason.  I trust Ballard’s and Reich’s judgement here.  I’m looking forward to this preseason.  It’s going to be an important one.  Big decisions on the horizon for sure.

I agree. Unless they are high on Eason ( which I'm not getting that vibe) , we need to go after Foles. I would feel much better with Foles as the eventual backup and Eason as 3rd QB.

This team is ready to win now.

If Wentz is going to miss several games,do we really want to have Eason at #1 QB and God knows who as #2. Don't forget, Covid could be a factor as well.

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Or see if Uncle Phil wants to hold the fort down for a month or so. 

16 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Not sure we can say Tell is an upgrade. First he's still learning how to play CB (he converted from a college safety). He played sparingly in 2019 and didn't play at all last year. He was also known in college for being a bit soft. I know RYS has struggled, but we also know he played to 10 level in the second half of 2019, and he was injured off and on all year last year. The vids of him getting "burnt" this camp aren't really him getting burnt. The most recent vid (Pittman) was a perfect back shoulder to a 6-4+ guy, with RYS in good position. That's just a play that's almost indefensible. 

I like Tell's upside, but it's likely Carrie who would replace RYS. And Rogers might even be ahead of Tell at this point on the depth chart.

I'd rather have Lewis who is improving each year and Paye a physical beast who by all reports looks great already over an aging and often ineffective Houston and Autry who is solid but not a cornerstone.

I think Lewis will be a decent replacement for Autry, but I can't say he'll be better at this point. If he were, he would have supplanted Autry last year. And Paye  has great upside, but he's been going against some scrubs in camp from the vids I've seen. He also really didn't get home a lot last year. He'll be good in time, but I wouldn't have lofty expectations this year. He's raw and needs a ton of technique work.

Oke just has to be better then Walker for an upgrade there and I think most would be surprised if that isnt the case.

Not really. Oke was playing passing downs mostly. Now he'll be playing running downs. He's never really been good vs the run. So we'll likely be better vs the pass, but take a step back vs the run. 

Blackmon with no camp coming off a major injury played that well, we can assume he will get better with a full off season and more time removed from injury, we cant guarantee it of course but can assume. Most all every does is assume until it happens, call it by different names like projection but everything is a type of assumption. 

Not sure you can assume a lot here either. He's a convert too (CB to S) and was converted in college because his coverage was bad. He's always been great going downhill. So we can assume he'll be great again at what's in front of him, but we have zero reason to believe he's changed his stripes in coverage. We can "hope", but not assume.

There is no sure fire 2 after K.C.,  Buffalo ? Again we outplayed them last postseason. Browns ? A lot bigger assumption than Indy. Tennessee ? With that D, huge stretch. All would need a lot to go right to make AFC title game. KC is one Mahomes injury away from major trouble touching on cant assume everyone stays healthy.

Our O (really our passing O) outplayed Buff. Our D took it in the teeth, especially our pass D. It took Rivers playing at a very high level as our rushing/JT didn't show up like they had the 2H of the season.

We are sitting very nicely as of now......cant afford possibly losing games for sake of saving a draft pick.  Our window is open now.

There's a lot to be optimistic about, but again, there's a lot of projection.

I don't think Wentz will be back till week 3 at the earliest, if so depending how we have looked I would slow play him back into the lineup given he has only had like 2 practices with the offense. If possible I would like to get our first round pick back. I'm hoping we can go 1-2 in the first 3 weeks with Eason at QB.

We need to see what happens with Carson's rehab in a few weeks like Reich was saying. 

If that and Eason both look bad, then call up the bears about Foles.  I dont have strong feelings about our pick yet but they should not rush Carson back imo.

I think hes out until week 3 or so

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We need to see what happens with Carson's rehab in a few weeks like Reich was saying. 

If that and Eason both look bad, then call up the bears about Foles.  I dont have strong feelings about our pick yet but they should not rush Carson back imo.

Yup, this is just a snap shot of the moment for folks. I'll likely do a part 3 after the fist preseason game as well. 

We should have a lot better feel.

I do care about the pick, but overall I want them to give Wentz time to heal. Rushing him could impact a lot of stuff, not just this season.

For those worried about the pick it wouldn’t shock me if the Colts had a plan to keep Wentz below that magic number.  We saw last year they had a package for Jacoby and there was some speculation when he was drafted the Colts might adopt a Tyson Hill type role for Sam.  They would have to use that package a lot to make up the snap counts but if Wentz misses some time then that number might be reachable.  

8 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Information can move fast… 

The first week of camp, what I’m reading about Rock so far has been very encouraging.   I appreciate that it’s very early and he’s going to have to do well in both the scrimmages and the pre-season games….   But at least for now, he’s getting a thumbs up. 

Archived