Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaelan Phillips and Greg Rousseau

Is there anyone high on both or one of these two players out of the U? According to scouts and analysts, Rousseau is a mid to late 1st round pick and Phillips is a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Phillips in my opinion seems to be more quicker getting to the QB than Rousseau, and he seems like the most polished NFL ready DE with little to no question marks unlike Rousseau. Phillips medically retired due to injury at UCLA but came back and transferred to Miami. 

I like Phillips more than Rousseau, due to his unstoppable motor, and try-hard attitude.  But they're both risks.  Rousseau, because he didn't play in 2020, and without a combine, you don't really know what you're getting, or if he has developed at all since 2019.  Phillips, because of the injury issue, plus, if he retired once, who's to say he doesn't do that again under similar circumstances.  I would be willing to take the risk on Phillips, but make no mistake, it's a risk.

26 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I'd be more enthusiastic about Phillips if we hadn't just gone through one "medical retirement" with Luck--I'm not anxious to risk a second one

FWIW, Paye and/or Oweh might also be there at #21

Jayson Oweh is a beast. Penn State has really revamped their program after the Paterno era. They just keep developing great players. 

11 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Jayson Oweh is a beast. Penn State has really revamped their program after the Paterno era. They just keep developing great players. 

I may be out of line, but I just have a feeling Oweh might still be there at #21 (I think Paye will probably be gone before then)

40 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

I may be out of line, but I just have a feeling Oweh might still be there at #21 (I think Paye will probably be gone before then)

I could bet Oweh will be there at 21. I would be shocked if he gets drafted anywhere before the 30’s. 

The comparison I heard for Rousseau is JPP. Might not be amazing year 1, but year 2 he could explode.

Phillips worries me for two reasons. The first is that he’s already medically retired for concussions, so if he gets another injury or two early in his career will he retire again? 

The other is he doesn’t look that athletic on tape. I just wonder how he’ll test at his pro-day.

Yeah Rousseau has a lot of question marks as a DE interns of athleticism, explosiveness and flexibility. He looks stiff as a board sometimes. However he is outstanding against the run and and be a match up nightmare when rushing from the interior with he great length. But as a pure edge rusher, his tape shows an inability to win consistently on the edge, turn the corner and get to the QB. I think his is a 2nd round talent pick that will get drafted in the 1st round because of his physical tools.

Phillips is a very polished rusher, has refined a lot of his moves, particularly inside moves. I think he is the opposite of Rousseau, I think he is a 1st round talent that will slip into the second because of his injuries. But if he stays healthy he can be a quality starter in the league. 

14 hours ago, poilucelt said:

didn't he sit out last season? that may cause him to slide

The guy has potential and has great athleticism but in college he had very little production. Maybe he can come in and learn and grow quick but I’m not spending my first rounder in that. 

On 2/20/2021 at 5:46 PM, DownHillRunner said:

Is there anyone high on both or one of these two players out of the U? According to scouts and analysts, Rousseau is a mid to late 1st round pick and Phillips is a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Phillips in my opinion seems to be more quicker getting to the QB than Rousseau, and he seems like the most polished NFL ready DE with little to no question marks unlike Rousseau. Phillips medically retired due to injury at UCLA but came back and transferred to Miami. 

I like them both, I want Rousseau more though, he reminds me of a bigger version of Isiah Simmons. I keep hearing about Phillip's concussion history, and that is a big red flag.

download.png

On 2/21/2021 at 4:25 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

I like them both, I want Rousseau more though, he reminds me of a bigger version of Isiah Simmons. I keep hearing about Phillip's concussion history, and that is a big red flag.

download.png

That would be a steal if McKitty fell that far. I would say Rousseau is more likely to go in the 1st round than Phillips. 

I think the problem with Oweh is....   appearance...    Oweh played 5-6 games last year and recoded zero sacks after recording 5 the year before.  Zero.

I think it would take a very, very secure GM to introduce their new pass rushing terror, and, oh by the way, this great guy recorded zero sacks in 2020.   That’s a very hard sell.  

You have some political cover if you’re introducing him as a second round pick.  But first round is problematic.   That said, he’s said to be the fastest player on Penn State and might run sub-4.4 when tested.  

Holy crap!    :woah:

Archived