Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis exchange about Dungy

GoColts8818

On 2/6/2021 at 8:54 PM, rock8591 said:

Best motivation is humiliation.

Hot headed coach or not.

With that said, I'd rather have a Bob Knight who wins than a Jim Caldwell who doesn't.

You’re talking truth but it’s to a forum that told me they’d have rather had Jonathon Martin than Ritchie Incognito...might ad we’ll talk to a wall

On 2/5/2021 at 8:17 AM, DougDew said:

What that really means is that the people who complain about the volume decibel level actually have no intention of listening to you in the first place, they just want to use it as an excuse to try to have everybody believe that the its the yeller's fault.  If you yell, those people will simply use it to validate the intention that they are going to be insubordinate anyway.  Those complainers need to be shown the door ASAP.

Content matters.  Not decibels.

That is a really dumb and innacurate generalization. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Caldwell is a winner. What rock have you been living under? 

Humiliation is not motivation, it is form of abuse. 

Your subjective evaluation.

I attended a school with corporal punishment as a kid. One time, I said to a teacher when I was 8 years old "What's up, Smith?" He promptly came up and shoved me to the ground, and said "DON'T YOU TALK TO ME IN THAT TONE OF VOICE EVER AGAIN. YOU NEED TO SHOW SOME RESPECT."

Another time, I won in spelling bee against a kid Lance, which people did not expect. The teacher pulled Lance aside afterwards and said "how can you lose a spelling bee to a foreigner, like that?"

Keep in mind this was during the late 1990s. To me, there's nothing particularly wrong about either scenario above. My folks would regularly hit my behind and back with a belt as well.

Tough Love >>>>> Nurturing Love.

55 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Your subjective evaluation.

I attended a school with corporal punishment as a kid. One time, I said to a teacher when I was 8 years old "What's up, Smith?" He promptly came up and shoved me to the ground, and said "DON'T YOU TALK TO ME IN THAT TONE OF VOICE EVER AGAIN. YOU NEED TO SHOW SOME RESPECT."

Another time, I won in spelling bee against a kid Lance, which people did not expect. The teacher pulled Lance aside afterwards and said "how can you lose a spelling bee to a foreigner, like that?"

Keep in mind this was during the late 1990s. To me, there's nothing particularly wrong about either scenario above. My folks would regularly hit my behind and back with a belt as well.

Tough Love >>>>> Nurturing Love.

You are confusing a parents job with a coaches job. 

There is a huge difference between parents punishment and a coach humiliating a player. 

If that has to be explained I would more than likely be wasting my effort. 

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are confusing a parents job with a coaches job. 

There is a huge difference between parents punishment and a coach humiliating a player. 

If that has to be explained I would more than likely be wasting my effort. 

Yep when I was 8 years old and if someone other than my parents disciplined me/put their hands on me (shoving me down), they would've be in hot water. My dad would've took care of the situation. If I had a kid and that happened, trust me, he would never do it again, I would make sure of that. Personally when it comes to coaching I liked Bob Knight because 99% of his kids graduated and he won 3 Championships. Having said that I don't think I could've played for him and if I had a kid and Knight put his hands on him, I would tell my boy to transfer. 

Bill Cowher for example is one of the most overrated coaches of all-time, some love him because he gets in people's faces, yells, spits, grabs his players, etc.. He only won 1 SB and even then had the REFS in his back pocket (SB 40). Dungy won 1 SB and had a better winning % without his saliva glands working OT lmao 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep when I was 8 years old and if someone other than my parents disciplined me/put their hands on me (shoving me down), they would've be in hot water. My dad would've took care of the situation. If I had a kid and that happened, trust me, he would never do it again, I would make sure of that. Personally when it comes to coaching I liked Bob Knight because 99% of his kids graduated and he won 3 Championships. Having said that I don't think I could've played for him and if I had a kid and knight put his hands on him, I would tell my boy to transfer. 

Bill Cowher for example is one of the most overrated coaches of all-time, some love him because he gets in people's faces, yells, spits, grabs his players, etc.. He only won 1 SB and even then had the REFS in his back pocket (SB 40). Dungy won 1 SB and had a better winning % without his saliva glands working OT lmao 

I think the notion of being a hard nosed coach is old.   Same thing in any industry.    It's an out dated philosophy.   

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I think the notion of being a hard nosed coach is old.   Same thing in any industry.    It's an out dated philosophy.   

On any job I have ever done, I have done much better and been super productive when I have a boss that trust's me and my judgement. Bosses that look over your shoulder and constantly criticizing you over the littlest things screws up of one's confidence and it is very uncomfortable. I couldn't work for a boss like that.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, Behle said:

Funny how the only place in society that screaming and yelling at people on a daily basis is accepted would be the military and in sports.  If that was a method used by your boss people would move onto another job.

Having watched many youth coaches in many sports employ this method I cringe thinking people think this is acceptable.

I understand there is a perception that you're using regarding the military....probably watched a bunch of movies containing a view of boot camp....

While their may be some yelling that goes on, by and large the military is far more professional with their interpersonal skills than most civilians would think. 

And if you are prior service then I'm sorry that is the lifelong impression you left with!

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I understand there is a perception that you're using regarding the military....probably watched a bunch of movies containing a view of boot camp....

While their may be some yelling that goes on, by and large the military is far more professional with their interpersonal skills than most civilians would think. 

And if you are prior service then I'm sorry that is the lifelong impression you left with!

There was a difference in boot camp training during war time and the draft than what it evolved in to. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Personally when it comes to coaching I liked Bob Knight because 99% of his kids graduated and he won 3 Championships. Having said that I don't think I could've played for him and if I had a kid and Knight put his hands on him, I would tell my boy to transfer. 

Had IU not won 3 championships would you have liked him less? 

To me his antics were overlooked because he won and fandom turns a blind eye. 

That and the invention of video recording. 

I am not doubting his knowledge of college basketball, just his bullying tactics. He also had those same tactics away from the court.  It is well documented. He had an abusive personality that went unchecked because he won basketball games. 

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not doubting his knowledge of college basketball, just his bullying tactics. He also had those same tactics away from the court.  It is well documented. He had an abusive personality that went unchecked because he won basketball games. 

I was only a kid when Bob coached so I only cared about wins and watching the team. I loved Steve Alford and Keith Smart. In 1987 when IU won the Championship I was only 16 going on 17. As an adult I look back on it now and will admit his ways of treating players are not mine. 

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There was a difference in boot camp training during war time and the draft than what it evolved in to. 

Yessir. Draftees versus Volunteers turned it into a more professional environment. I did serve with quite a few Vietnam era Senior NCO's as a lower enlisted and there was certainly a difference in their leadership "styles"! Ha!

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was only a kid when Bob coached so I only cared about wins and watching the team. I loved Steve Alford and Keith Smart. In 1987 when IU won the Championship I was only 16 going on 17. As an adult I look back on it now and will admit his ways of treating players are not mine. 

I'd point out that 1) it was a different time, and 2) a lot of his players and x-staff love him dearly. 

Too many folks want to judge the past through today's lens. Did he do some things wrong, of course he did. He also did a lot of things right. Just like most people. 

And yelling isn't an issue for me. It's how you yell, and what you are trying to get across to the person/group you are yelling at. Yelling is simply and amplification of voice. 

If we ever have to fight a true based war on our own soil, I wouldn't like our chances lol. Compared to most of the world out there, we're getting softer and softer. Much much softer than our pass D.... 

On 2/22/2021 at 1:06 AM, crazycolt1 said:

His players and coaches loved him

Archived