Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scott's "Mock" Free Agency - No Draft Yet

First, I will start by saying that there is only 1 UFA of the Colt's that I would like to bring back - Al-Quadin Muhammed. Beyond him, I let every single player walk and sign elsewhere to get their contract they deserve or their last contract altogether - including Autry and Houston!

Starting with filling in the gaps on the defensive side - I would sign the freebie in the 26 year old Robert Nkemdiche and see if we can tap into that former 1st Round talent.

Then I would sign 1 of the next 3 choices to fill out the defensive end positions:

----- Trey Hendrickson, 27 years old, from the Saints

----- Carl Lawson, 26 years old, from the Bengals

----- Solomon Thomas, 26 years old, from the 49ers

Then I would sign 1 of the next 3 choices to fill out the cornerback positions:

----- Michael Davis, 26 years old, from the Chargers

----- Kevin King, 26 years old, from the Packers

----- Chidobe Awuzie, 26 years old from the Cowboys

Now, for the offense. I WOULD NOT TRADE for Stafford, Darnold, Wentz or any other QB linked to us. I would attempt to sign either Dak Prescott or Jameis Winston. Full Stop. If I strike out on those two then I roll the dice in the draft and have Eason and said draft pick duke it out in the Off-Season and Pre-Season games. I know, not a popular choice but I'm still banking on Eason and his number 1 ranking coming out of high school and his above average freshman year at GA and then an average year 2 years later in WA. The arm is there, he has enough mobility to slide in the pocket and roll out - just need to see him look off defenders and read defenses pre and post snap when the bullets are flying.

Then I would sign 1 of the next 3 choices to fill out the widereceiver position:

----- Allen Robinson, 28 years old, from Da Bears

----- Corey Davis, 26 years old, from the Titans

----- Chris Godwin, 25 years old, from the Bucs

And a must have target in TE Jonnu Smith, 26 years old, from the Titans! His ability would help whatever QB is under center as well as open things up for all the WR's.

After the dust settles in Free Agency I will add to this and do my mock draft based on what positions were filled.

The only problem is WRs and TEs are not going to come here to die with an unknown with uncertainty at the QB position. You get the trigger man before you get the skill position guys, period, not the other way. Otherwise, you would have to overpay to convince someone to come in here with 2 unknowns at QB, not going to happen with Ballard. That is where I fundamentally disagree. 

The window of a dominant OL is not going to last forever, I would say we have 2-3 years at the highest level with this OL as a SB contender, and a few improvements on D to make noise. It does not preclude us from drafting a QB of the future but if that draft capital had to be directed at moving up for a QB OR getting an established one, I think Irsay with his statement has made it clear that it is going to be an established one. Heck, we thought the legion of Boom is going to enjoy a run and it lasted 2-3 good years, I would have to say in its prime at the highest level.

If we were drafting at say No.10-12 after having Rivers as QB, it would be different and we might hit the re-set button for a couple of years. That is not the case here.

I wouldn't mind that (except for the QB part). I think entering the season with Eason as the presumptive starter is a no-starter for Ballard and he won't allow that to happen. Dak is tied to the Cowboys and if we want him we will have to pay for him. Jameis is... an interesting shot to take at a reclamation project, but if we are doing that I would also like for us to get a QB in the draft too. 

So here's the question you didn't address - what do you do with LT? 

I do think a Stafford trade is the SAFEST move (For a reasonable trade) to take this team forward

But.......I would agree that a VERY overlooked option is Jamies Winston

Winston needs some time in the QBs room, to fix the interceptions, but the guy threw almost 500 Yards against us in a game. AND threw for 5000 yards in the season. Only TWO other QBs have accomplished this feat in the history of the NFL.

If his head is on straight, (He has a past) he would be another excellent option

Who better to work with a QB than Sean Payton (This last year) and Frank R. 

He is actually my second best choice

He could be had for a cheap contract (Maybe a 2 year prove it deal at 6M each year)

That would leave us with our 1st, and 14M more available CAP $$ (Vs a Stafford pickup) that we could sign an OT with and maybe a (second tier)  DE FA 

We then could do a true BPA approach in the draft

6 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

You said Jameis Winston like a turn over machine is good for the team. I want a plus 14 turnover rate not negative 56

Jamies Winston was asked to be a gunslinger in Bruce Arians offense... its the same offense that got Andrew Luck beat to death.

He had 30 Interceptions to 30 TDs with 5100 yards

Thats is a crazy number of Interceptions, but its also an excellent number of TDs, and a near NFL record on yards

That offense was built around him slinging the ball first..... What if he was part of a balanced offense?

If he had a more conservative offense, and MUCH work with QBs coach, I bet you could harness the obvious skill, and temper the gunslinging approach.

As mentioned, he has been in the NO, QB friendly Sean Payton system for a year, (I am sure they have been working on him)

Give him an offseason with Frank R, and you may get a more finished product, that is MUCH more careful with the football, as well as improving his reads of a defense, that can be a missing piece.

I still want Matt Stafford, but if he costs us 2 first round picks, I would rather just go up and get our rookie of the future...

Or keep all of our picks,  and get Winston

On 1/27/2021 at 2:23 PM, stitches said:

I wouldn't mind that (except for the QB part). I think entering the season with Eason as the presumptive starter is a no-starter for Ballard and he won't allow that to happen. Dak is tied to the Cowboys and if we want him we will have to pay for him. Jameis is... an interesting shot to take at a reclamation project, but if we are doing that I would also like for us to get a QB in the draft too. 

So here's the question you didn't address - what do you do with LT? 

Draft the best lineman we can, whether it's a Tackle or Guard. Nelson went to ND as a LT and was put at LG because that was the best alignment.....slide Nelson out, insert Pinter at LG or whomever is drafted slide into either spot.

19 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

You said Jameis Winston like a turn over machine is good for the team. I want a plus 14 turnover rate not negative 56

To be fair, a LOT of people were calling Rivers a turnover machine heading into this year. Under Reich, if I am not mistaken, Luck drastically improved in lowering his interceptions while increasing his completion percentage. Maybe magic could be done with Winston? He obviously has the talent.  Question is, is his mental side there or not?

On 1/27/2021 at 3:22 PM, chad72 said:

The only problem is WRs and TEs are not going to come here to die with an unknown with uncertainty at the QB position. You get the trigger man before you get the skill position guys, period, not the other way. Otherwise, you would have to overpay to convince someone to come in here with 2 unknowns at QB, not going to happen with Ballard. That is where I fundamentally disagree. 

The window of a dominant OL is not going to last forever, I would say we have 2-3 years at the highest level with this OL as a SB contender, and a few improvements on D to make noise. It does not preclude us from drafting a QB of the future but if that draft capital had to be directed at moving up for a QB OR getting an established one, I think Irsay with his statement has made it clear that it is going to be an established one. Heck, we thought the legion of Boom is going to enjoy a run and it lasted 2-3 good years, I would have to say in its prime at the highest level.

If we were drafting at say No.10-12 after having Rivers as QB, it would be different and we might hit the re-set button for a couple of years. That is not the case here.

Skill guys looking for big contracts don't care nearly that much in most cases.  If they're free agents in their prime, they want the big payday.  If they are unestablished and trying to build or rebuild their resume to get to a big payday, they might look for a great qb....or if they're old and ring chasing.... But 9/10 times in the nfl, FA wideouts, and tight ends, just like every other position.... Go where they get the best guaranteed contract.  It will always be that way in a business where your next play could be your last.

Been going over a lot of the teams currently in cap space problems heading into the off-season.  Here is my list of FA's that would improve the Colts.  Lot of assumptions that we are letting a lot of Colts' pending FAs go unsigned like Hilton, Autry, Houtson, Burton, etc.  Imagine not a lot will be too happy going with low prove it deal for Brissett and Eason as our QBs but this team adds strength to both our sides with these key targets.

• LDE Morgan Fox (Rams) 26 years old could probably get around $4 million for 3-4 years.  Compete to start/backup role
  • LCB Troy Hill (Rams) 29 years old playing well with a PFF grade of 74.2 in 2020 looking to earn $14 million.  Big upgrade over Rock
  • FS Marcus Williams (Saints) 24 years old.  Replaces Hooker in FA and upgrade over Blackmon.  Should get $8 million/5 yrs +
  • LT Roderick Johnson (Texans) Played well as a backup and could offer him a deal of $2 million for 4 years
  • LT Trent Williams (49ers) Easily have a good 4 if not 6 years left to play.  Williams get easily 18 mil with bonuses $23-25 mill
  • SS Deon Bush (Bears) prove-it deals for 2 years $1 to $1,5 million
  • RCB Artie Burns (Bears) prove-it deal $1-1.5 million.  Former First Rounder hasn't done anything past 2 years but had PFF grade of 70.5 in 2017

Played around with OTC and had to restructure Kelly's contract some and even resigning Brissett the Colts could have around $7-8 million available for the draft.  The DBs would be solid and so would or OL.  Need to draft a WR to replace Hilton, a TE to replace Burton and add some DE help.  With Walker gone need a MLB and a depth RB.  Next year am hoping we can go after Derek Carr as we will still  have ~$86 million to resign our big named rookies and go after a short-term QB.

5 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Been going over a lot of the teams currently in cap space problems heading into the off-season.  Here is my list of FA's that would improve the Colts.  Lot of assumptions that we are letting a lot of Colts' pending FAs go unsigned like Hilton, Autry, Houtson, Burton, etc.  Imagine not a lot will be too happy going with low prove it deal for Brissett and Eason as our QBs but this team adds strength to both our sides with these key targets.

• LDE Morgan Fox (Rams) 26 years old could probably get around $4 million for 3-4 years.  Compete to start/backup role
  • LCB Troy Hill (Rams) 29 years old playing well with a PFF grade of 74.2 in 2020 looking to earn $14 million.  Big upgrade over Rock
  • FS Marcus Williams (Saints) 24 years old.  Replaces Hooker in FA and upgrade over Blackmon.  Should get $8 million/5 yrs +
  • LT Roderick Johnson (Texans) Played well as a backup and could offer him a deal of $2 million for 4 years
  • LT Trent Williams (49ers) Easily have a good 4 if not 6 years left to play.  Williams get easily 18 mil with bonuses $23-25 mill
  • SS Deon Bush (Bears) prove-it deals for 2 years $1 to $1,5 million
  • RCB Artie Burns (Bears) prove-it deal $1-1.5 million.  Former First Rounder hasn't done anything past 2 years but had PFF grade of 70.5 in 2017

Played around with OTC and had to restructure Kelly's contract some and even resigning Brissett the Colts could have around $7-8 million available for the draft.  The DBs would be solid and so would or OL.  Need to draft a WR to replace Hilton, a TE to replace Burton and add some DE help.  With Walker gone need a MLB and a depth RB.  Next year am hoping we can go after Derek Carr as we will still  have ~$86 million to resign our big named rookies and go after a short-term QB.

Hey....  O-H       :)

(Im from Ohio too)

I agree with a few of your points, but I think you are giving up on Blackmon a little early.

He started off with a bang , but then tailed of, but he is not long off of injury.   I think he will get better and better.

I do agree that we need a CB.  We need at least one that can play either a man to man or zone scheme and not get flagged every play.  Im starting to think Rock will never be CB1.   We need at least one on this team.  I think Lattimore (Go Bucks, could be had for a cheap trade price as NO is 100M over the Cap)..... Unfortunately he would eat up a bunch of the cap.

Trent Williams is older, so I dont think he has that many more years, but I would LOVE for him to come in and be the LT for us, while we develop

I dont know about Brissett......  he is a great locker room guy, but myself personally, I would rather have my backup as someone that is developing to be a QB starter of the future.   I believe the Colts have already come out and said that he wont be resigned.

For me, I would love to have 2-3 FAs brought in (Maybe 1, first tier FA, and 2 2nd tier FAs,) that would allow us to draft a true BPA.  The FAs could start day one, and we could bring along the rookies until they are ready to play.

The QB thing is a blaring hole though.

39 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Hey....  O-H       :)

(Im from Ohio too)

I agree with a few of your points, but I think you are giving up on Blackmon a little early.

He started off with a bang , but then tailed of, but he is not long off of injury.   I think he will get better and better.

I do agree that we need a CB.  We need at least one that can play either a man to man or zone scheme and not get flagged every play.  Im starting to think Rock will never be CB1.   We need at least one on this team.  I think Lattimore (Go Bucks, could be had for a cheap trade price as NO is 100M over the Cap)..... Unfortunately he would eat up a bunch of the cap.

Trent Williams is older, so I dont think he has that many more years, but I would LOVE for him to come in and be the LT for us, while we develop

I dont know about Brissett......  he is a great locker room guy, but myself personally, I would rather have my backup as someone that is developing to be a QB starter of the future.   I believe the Colts have already come out and said that he wont be resigned.

For me, I would love to have 2-3 FAs brought in (Maybe 1, first tier FA, and 2 2nd tier FAs,) that would allow us to draft a true BPA.  The FAs could start day one, and we could bring along the rookies until they are ready to play.

The QB thing is a blaring hole though.

Do the Colts sign a QB in their 30s go all in on one player or be the wiser with so many teams having cap space issues this year getting at least 3 positional studs?

Clearly I prefer to secure  top talented skilled players and improve our defense and let our defense keep us in games. This year is unique with the reduction in cap space but plays well into the Colts hands.  

I would take a Marcus Williams over Blackmon any day but glad to have him as a solid backup just in case.

Artie Burns is a long shot but when healthy has a chance to replace Rhodes.  Also intrigued by rookie CB Nahshon Wright would might be a solid RCB addition.

With these FA additions the Colts can focus on QB Mac Jones or TE Pat Freiermuth in Round 1.  We know our TEs will need 2 players replaced and right now with this game plan wasn’t planning on resigning Burton.

If Jones falls and is available when the Colts pick then no brained pick imo.  If no QB than like to see the Colts pursue Derek Carr next offseason. My thinking is this secure key positions this off-season and draft needs next year we lessen what is left which is the QB and can make a big offer of draft picks knowing we are already set for the long-term.  In 2022 the only thing can see us needing to draft another or acquire in FA is TE, WR and DE outside of the QB.

I may live in Ohio but am not a big Ohio State fan...I O

6 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

If Jones falls and is available when the Colts pick then no brained pick imo.  If no QB than like to see the Colts pursue Derek Carr next offseason. My thinking is this secure key positions this off-season and draft needs next year we lessen what is left which is the QB and can make a big offer of draft picks knowing we are already set for the long-term.  In 2022 the only thing can see us needing to draft another or acquire in FA is TE, WR and DE outside of the QB.

I may live in Ohio but am not a big Ohio State fan...I O

I dont know what to think about Jones.  Some people think he is ready to start day one.

He is surrounded by amazing talent and throwing to WIDE open players on every play.

I need to watch some more tape

Maybe he is an option

You broke my heart with your last line LOL   :)

Archived