Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Defense Sliding

EastStreet

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2020 at 4:32 AM, chickenMan said:

To be fair the games where our defense has been sliding have been against the Packers, Titans, Deshaun Watson, and the Raiders, all very good offensive teams/person. We certainly need to do better, but we’re still a top 5 D

So what u r saying is that the Colts play lights out against inferior offences and crap the bed against good offences? So that makes thrm top 5?

On 12/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, EastStreet said:

W's and Ls are the "sausage". On a forum board a lot of folks talk about how the sausage is made, if the sausage is good, if the sausage is better than other sausage, and is the sausage good enough to be the best sausage. Some fans aren't interested in what goes into the sausage, are just proud of their sausage, and don't care if their sausage has what it takes to win the sausage award. And that's OK. Those folks however should realize however that some folks take their sausage more seriously.

As with the above analogy, parts of the sausage were very good in Jax. The problem was, the sausage maker screwed up the recipe that week. He used too much sage when the recipe called for more kosher salt. It was a bad day for the sausage maker. 

Yup, yup, and yup.

More yups

We'll make it so long as the ingredients are fresh, and the sausage maker has the proper recipe.

IMO, our DL is "capable" of more, but we're simply vanilla, and opposing teams don't have to worry about unexpected stunts or blitzes. They know we rarely blitz, so their front 5 can settle in vs our front 4. And if needed, they'll keep the RB or TE back. 

Yup, Minshew was Mahomes/Brees/etc. that game. And he's back under center by the looks of things. I expect more rush attempts the next match, and hopefully the D playing with less cushion.

I'd blitz LBs and DBs more. Not a ton, just enough to be less predictable, and keep the opposing O guessing. We're easily one of the most conservative Ds in the league as far as blitzes and soft zone are concerned. Any accurate QB with a good OL or one that's mobile will move the ball effectively if we're playing soft, especially short.

This entire post regarding sausage was awesome!  Thank you!  It made me laugh and made my day.  Let's get to 12-4 and see if we can host a playoff game.  That would be sweet!

On 12/16/2020 at 5:20 PM, EastStreet said:

Doesn't work like that lol. 

We've been top 5 vs bad teams, and average to below average vs good.

The average is top 10ish for now, with two good Os yet to play.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:51 PM, shasta519 said:

Those are the type of teams (and actual teams) that they have to beat in January though. No more cupcakes. 

The defense is good...but the offense will define their playoff run.

I would like to point out that we played airtight defense for the most part in the second half of these games...clearly our issues on D stem from not being prepared at the start of games, which is an issue that needs to be fixed.

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So what u r saying is that the Colts play lights out against inferior offences and crap the bed against good offences? So that makes thrm top 5?

Right now the Colts defense is rated 6th in the league according to ESPN. 

If that is something you want to nit pick on may I suggest you find something else to whine about? 

8 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I would like to point out that we played airtight defense for the most part in the second half of these games...clearly our issues on D stem from not being prepared at the start of games, which is an issue that needs to be fixed.

I wouldn't say air tight in the sense they were shut down vs normal O. IMO, some of the teams went conservative ball control in the 2nd H. I do agree game prep, and lack of real time adjustments are the biggest issue though. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So we're now

8th in total yards

10th in points allowed

20th in passing D

2nd in rushing D

What a big drop in passing D.... That's more than bending... 

Not worried about 20th in passing  d as long as we keep them out of endzone

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not worried about 20th in passing  d as long as we keep them out of endzone

We're very average in doing that (15th). And the more yards you give up, the more chances they have. And Buffalo is the best in the NFL at keeping the chains moving (3rd down conversion rate).

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We're very average in doing that (15th). And the more yards you give up, the more chances they have. And Buffalo is the best in the NFL at keeping the chains moving (3rd down conversion rate).

Maybe their receivers  will get the drops

16 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Could our defense be more of a result from selling out to stop the run thus allowing teams to pass on us?  If so, if we didn’t and just ran a balanced defense I wonder if things would be different?

It's a product of being Charmin Soft....  We give more cushion that Sealy and Serta combined.

16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Maybe their receivers  will get the drops

Maybe we give the WRs a little 

this time... 

Archived