Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions Coach Patricia

King Colt

What I don't get is Matt Patricia was supposed to be a defense-oriented coach, yet in the last several games, he's been with them, the scores have been:

L 0-20

W 30-27

L 20-34

L 21-41

https://www.detroitlions.com/schedule/

They've given up 20 or more points to every team he coached against this season except Jacksonville (34-16), which isn't saying much. Clearly Belichick made Matt Patricia look better than he actually was.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, Dingus McGirt said:

I was at that game.  Still can't believe he did that.

Peyton Manning can't believe he did it either. The look on Peyton's face and Peyton looking at Caldwell probably thinking, "What are you doing?" said it all. Even the announcers were puzzled, saying, "Don't give that young Mark Sanchez time."

4 hours ago, J@son said:

He was a terrible coach the entire time he was here. 

Really? 

1st season-14-2

2nd season-10-6

3rd season 2-14 without Manning  

He then went to be the offensive coordinator for the Ravens and won a super bowl. 

He then went on to the Lions and become the winningest head coach since the 50s. 

Sorry, those numbers do not say a terrible coach. 

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really? 

1st season-14-2

2nd season-10-6

3rd season 2-14 without Manning  

yeah it's easy to go 10-6 or better WITH Manning.  But when you run Curtis Painter out onto the field trying to have him run the offense the same way Peyton did, THAT'S a terrible coach.  He and Christiansen both.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He then went to be the offensive coordinator for the Ravens and won a super bowl. 

He then went on to the Lions and become the winningest head coach since the 50s. 

Sorry, those numbers do not say a terrible coach. 

all of this is irrelevant because I clearly said 'WHILE HE WAS HERE'.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

yeah it's easy to go 10-6 or better WITH Manning.  But when you run Curtis Painter out onto the field trying to have him run the offense the same way Peyton did, THAT'S a terrible coach.  He and Christiansen both.

all of this is irrelevant because I clearly said 'WHILE HE WAS HERE'.

SO because he couldn't make Curtis Painter a winner that makes him a bad coach? 

Sorry, I don't see the reality of that. 

2 hours ago, J@son said:

14 minutes ago, J@son said:

Yes I did and I stand by that.  I did not, however, say he was a bad coach because 'he couldn't make Curtis Painter a winner'.

Well you are pretty much standing by yourself being he went on and made a super bowl winner out of Joe Flacco

He then went on to make a winner out of the Lions. 

He just didn't all of a sudden become a good coach when he was fired from Indy. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well you are pretty much standing by yourself being he went on and made a super bowl winner out of Joe Flacco

He then went on to make a winner out of the Lions. 

He just didn't all of a sudden become a good coach when he was fired from Indy. 

Um, it wouldn't be the first time a HC got fired from one job where he was bad, learned from his mistakes and then went on to have success with other teams.

Also, just because Flacco won a SB ring doesn't mean Caldwell turned him into a SB winner.  Flacco caught fire THAT offseason and was also drastically helped by Anquan Boldin's insane catching ability.

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

Um, it wouldn't be the first time a HC got fired from one job where he was bad, learned from his mistakes and then went on to have success with other teams.

Also, just because Flacco won a SB ring doesn't mean Caldwell turned him into a SB winner.  Flacco caught fire THAT offseason and was also drastically helped by Anquan Boldin's insane catching ability.

You are also forgetting the fact that Caldwell was the assistant head coach for the Colts for 7 years before becoming the head coach. 

Had we won the super bowl against the Saints he would be a great head coach in the Colts fans eyes.  But we didn't so it's over reaction time as always. 10 years of his work come down being judged on one game. 

What did Flacco do after Caldwell left Baltimore?

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are also forgetting the fact that Caldwell was the assistant head coach for the Colts for 7 years before becoming the head coach. 

Had we won the super bowl against the Saints he would be a great head coach in the Colts fans eyes.  But we didn't so it's over reaction time as always. 10 years of his work come down being judged on one game. 

What did Flacco do after Caldwell left Baltimore?

The 2009 SB barely factors into my evaluation of him while he was here so do not include me in that gross generalization. :)

Also whether I forgot about Caldwell being assistant HC or not really is irrelevant because we're talking about him as a HC...not an asst HC

On one final thought, if the Colts had won the 2009 SB, my opinion of him during his time here would still be the same.

Stafford is the poster child for underachiever. Bunch of empty numbers (I imagine mostly late in games against prevent defenses) with no team success to show for it.  Funny, that some in this thread are bashing Caldwell while others are clamoring for Stafford.  Ironically, Stafford’s best success came under Caldwell.  I’d rather give Eason a shot rather than paying big money for the short term, way too expensive mediocrity of Matthew Stafford. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, aaron11 said:

he lost a lot of fans here when he called time out in a playoff game that gave the other team time to win it at the end.  im not sure this fan base ever really embraced him in the first place though, he just kind of took over after dungy and it felt like peyton was carrying the whole team 

This is correct.  The fan base felt like Caldwell didn't really contribute anything to the team.  His emotionless personality didn't help, in that he could have been doing absolutely nothing and you couldn't tell.

Archived