Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions Coach Patricia

King Colt

There seems to be a large part of the Lions fan base that want Jim Caldwell brought back. 

He was fired after being the only head coach in their history with a winning record since 1972 and had the best winning percentage since Buddy Parker back in the 1950s. 

IMO Caldwell got a raw deal here in Indy has has been getting a raw deal with every team he has been with ever since. 

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There seems to be a large part of the Lions fan base that want Jim Caldwell brought back. 

He was fired after being the only head coach in their history with a winning record since 1972 and had the best winning percentage since Buddy Parker back in the 1950s. 

IMO Caldwell got a raw deal here in Indy has has been getting a raw deal with every team he has been with ever since. 

I think the regime change had more to do with Caldwell being let go here when Grigson came in after Polian and his son were sent packing. In Detroit however, I don't think there was a GM change when he was let go, was there? Anyone remember?

53 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think the regime change had more to do with Caldwell being let go here when Grigson came in after Polian and his son were sent packing. In Detroit however, I don't think there was a GM change when he was let go, was there? Anyone remember?

Letting any head coach go after a super bowl appearance was a bad beat IMO. Caldwell deserved better treatment. That was one of the few times I didn't agree with Irsay.

As far as the Lions GMs were concerned there was two changes ( 3 with the interim) during the time Jim was there.

Martin Mayhew-2008-2015

Shelton White- interim in 2015.

Bob Quinn-2016- present. 

Jim was 64-36 with 2 playoffs from 2014-2017

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lions fans did not really give him a chance. I recall people calling for his firing in the middle of his first season. He had two 11-5 seasons with a team that never makes the playoffs. They should have won that playoff game against the Cowboys. The refs gave the game to the Cowboys. 

Colts fans seemed very harsh against him, even after he had been gone a few years. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Lions fans did not really give him a chance. I recall people calling for his firing in the middle of his first season. He had two 11-5 seasons with a team that never makes the playoffs. They should have won that playoff game against the Cowboys. The refs gave the game to the Cowboys. 

Colts fans seemed very harsh against him, even after he had been gone a few years. 

Oh, he lost a super bowl. That's enough to tar and feather him for a few in this forum. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree Jim Caldwell, got a raw deal with the Lions the guy did well with the Lions and the one problem was never getting a backup for Peyton in Indy. Honestly we were probably better off keeping Caldwell with luck then getting Pagano, but whenever you make a GM change you have to also fire the coach because they will want to bring in their own.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh, he lost a super bowl. That's enough to tar and feather him for a few in this forum. 

Wrong. My issue with Caldwell wasn’t the Super Bowl loss, it’s the pulling the starters when we’re 14-0 and throwing the last two games. Jim Irsay was later on record as to the saying that was a mistake and one that never should have happened and combined with the Polians striking out in both the draft and the failure to have a suitable back plan for Manning, add to the entire thing elbowing burned to the ground. 

25 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I agree Jim Caldwell, got a raw deal with the Lions the guy did well with the Lions and the one problem was never getting a backup for Peyton in Indy. Honestly we were probably better off keeping Caldwell with luck then getting Pagano, but whenever you make a GM change you have to also fire the coach because they will want to bring in their own.

Grigson fired Caldwell after he was hired. Yet another Grigson mistake if you ask me 

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wrong. My issue with Caldwell wasn’t the Super Bowl loss, it’s the pulling the starters when we’re 14-0 and throwing the last two games. Jim Irsay was later on record as to the saying that was a mistake and one that never should have happened and combined with the Polians striking out in both the draft and the failure to have a suitable back plan for Manning, add to the entire thing elbowing burned to the ground. 

Grigson fired Caldwell after he was hired. Yet another Grigson mistake if you ask me 

It was actually Bill Polian's decision to pull the players not Jim's. Polian called down to the sideline and told Caldwell to pull them. I know this to be fact because I listed to JMV and the Bill Polian show the next day and everyone was talking about it. Polian ended up not taking calls after about 20 minutes.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was actually Bill Polian's decision to pull the players not Jim's. Polian called down to the sideline and told Caldwell to pull them. I know this to be fact because I listed to JMV and the Bill Polian show the next day and everyone was talking about it. Polian ended up not taking calls after about 20 minutes.

I remember that. I don't think a GM should be making those calls, as it undermines the head coach who then loses respect in the eyes of players, coaches, reporters, and fans. This was Caldwell's first head coaching job. Was that his first year? 

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I remember that. I don't think a GM should be making those calls, as it undermines the head coach who then loses respect in the eyes of players, coaches, reporters, and fans. This was Caldwell's first head coaching job. Was that his first year? 

Yes, the 2009 season was his first. I was at the game when they decided to pull the starters. It was pretty ugly in the stands.

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes, the 2009 season was his first. I was at the game when they decided to pull the starters. It was pretty ugly in the stands.

What was happening in the stands? 

I recall that it was rumored that they might pull players from the game but I never understood why. Was Polian trying to avoid injury to players? I think the Colts players wanted an undefeated season. 

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I recall that it was rumored that they might pull players from the game but I never understood why. Was Polian trying to avoid injury to players? I think the Colts players wanted an undefeated season. 

I wasn't at that game but I know the day after many people calling the Bill Polian show were really peev'd. He stop taking calls after about the 4th or 5th person just bashed him. 

Nothing Jim could do when you have your GM telling you what to do on the spot. Peyton wasn't happy either.

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lots of cursing, swearing, drunken rants. Never got so bad where they were throwing things, but people were quite, eh, vocal about their displeasure lol. Polian was not a popular man that day. 

He believed that resting the starters and not risking injury was more important than an undefeated season. 

It was also our first look at how horrible Curtis Painter was. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Lots of cursing, swearing, drunken rants. Never got so bad where they were throwing things, but people were quite, eh, vocal about their displeasure lol. Polian was not a popular man that day. 

He believed that resting the starters and not risking injury was more important than an undefeated season. 

It was also our first look at how horrible Curtis Painter was. 

I would probably say that moment ranks in my all-time 5 as worst moments in my Colts fandom. I can't remember a worse feeling other than losing to Pitt in the 1995 AFC Title Game, losing again to Pitt again in the Divisional round in 2005, losing to the Saints in the 2009 SB, and Luck retiring. 

Re: the decision to pull the starters in the second half when the team was 14-0........

Recall that this was a magical run the Colts had. They believed they were never out of it, and they came from behind numerous times to get that record. That team was unstoppable.

For Polian to pull the starting players at that point was an insult to the players, who deserved to keep that run going.

For Polian to order Caldwell to do that was an insult to Caldwell. 

You would hope that Caldwell would tell Polian to go pound sand, that its "my job to coach this team and play the players as I deem appropriate". A stronger coach might have done that, but Caldwell was a rookie head coach, and Polian was the arrogant, overbearing, but very experienced and hugely successful GM. 

I honestly believe Polian's decision cost the team its mojo, and derailed their run to immortality. 

Polian did many great things as the GM of the Colts, but he also cost the Colts with his arrogant decision making, and here was the worst example of that. 

On 11/23/2020 at 10:52 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Decision probably came from above Polian.  The league seems to frown on Shula's perfect season being matched. Though it seemed fine if the Pat's went perfect,  but senator Specter voiced his displeasure of the Pat's cheating and then Foles played lights out.

18 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

If I'm the Lions I'm trading Stafford after the season and starting over. Might as well start from the bottom up, like the Dolphins did. The Lions will yet again pick in the top 10, like the Jags do..

Interesting idea but who do you think trades for Stafford 

If you're into re-build mode for the 10th time it's time to break down and build up. Sometimes that doesn't work, the Jags have done it many times, as have the Browns. But sometimes it does, like the Browns today or the Cardinals. Who would be interested? How about the Bears?

Haha! Can’t say anyone is surprised. GM did a horrible job retaining talent and signing players over the hill and signing ex Patriot players thinking it’s going to work out to be the next Patriots team. Lions deserve better. But I see them starting fresh again next year. 

29 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Nick Saban

I was referring to NFL head coaches. Saban is a heck of a college coach, arguably the best ever but got his butt kicked in his two seasons at the NFL level. Besides, most people don’t consider Saban to be from the Hooded tree, but from Don James

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Not if we have a shot at stafford.  Dude has a serious arm and 5-8 more years left 

Stafford is intriguing I’ll give ya that but he’s been beat up pretty good 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:49 PM, NFLfan said:

he lost a lot of fans here when he called time out in a playoff game that gave the other team time to win it at the end.  im not sure this fan base ever really embraced him in the first place though, he just kind of took over after dungy and it felt like peyton was carrying the whole team 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he lost a lot of fans here when he called time out in a playoff game that gave the other team time to win it at the end.  im not sure this fan base ever really embraced him in the first place though, he just kind of took over after dungy and it felt like peyton was carrying the whole team 

I was at that game.  Still can't believe he did that.

Archived