Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Im Not Really Convinced With Rg3...

I really dont see why we wouldnt be so sure were getting Andrew Luck. Pocket quarterbacks are alot more successful and i dont see RG3 being the type to stay in the pocket alot. He tends to swirm around alot. Sure he will be successful but when you have the Redskins looking at him, you never know because they have a history of bad decision making anyway. Redskins fans out here in DC when i was visiting werent even considering Andrew Luck at all. RG3 will be good but more like a Cam Newton type. They dont really win games very well :P

Sure Andrew Luck gets out of the pocket alot but so does any college quarterback. He is just going to get used to staying in the pocket.

I really dont see why we wouldnt be so sure were getting Andrew Luck. Pocket quarterbacks are alot more successful and i dont see RG3 being the type to stay in the pocket alot. He tends to swirm around alot. Sure he will be successful but when you have the Redskins looking at him, you never know because they have a history of bad decision making anyway. Redskins fans out here in DC when i was visiting werent even considering Andrew Luck at all. RG3 will be good but more like a Cam Newton type. They dont really win games very well :P

Sure Andrew Luck gets out of the pocket alot but so does any college quarterback. He is just going to get used to staying in the pocket.

The Redskins have made tons of bad decisions during the Snyder era but he has finally taken a back seat and is allowing Allen and Shannahan implement a 5 year plan.

I know Shanny missed on Mcnabb but overall I think he is a good judge of talent.

I get what you mean but i think Griffin will be something special. He is a higher risk but he has alot of potential. He has better accuracy and arm strength then Luck and more athletic. His intelligence also rivals Luck so i dont think you should count him out.

Luck is more pro ready and safe, while Griffin provides upside.

What else are they supposed to look at? Ryan Tannehill? If they were looking at Tannehill instead of RGIII this would be a "I'm not really convinced with Tannehill". You see RG3 "tending to swarm around a lot" because his pocket collapses faster than Luck? You know why? RG3 didn't have a line with the best guard in the draft and a top 3 tackle in the draft as part of his offensive line that's why. And of course they don't really win games because like the Redskins and Colts, the Panthers are a bad team and likely won't win many games this upcoming season

I think RGIII will be a solid QB, but will have durability problems if he doesn't bulk up. He's a little small(ish) and has already had concussions and a torn ACL in college. I really don't get the argument that RGIII has more upside than Luck. Luck has all the makings of the next big time elite NFL QB for the next 15 years, while Griffin does have some question marks. But I guess people did think that Leaf had more upside than Peyton... how'd that work out. I see Griffin more as a flashy play maker, maybe a much more accurate ATL Michael Vick, which isn't bad at all, but not a QB that can carry you to the Super Bowl by himself like a Manning (x2), Brady or Brees.

I think RGIII will be a solid QB, but will have durability problems if he doesn't bulk up. He's a little small(ish) and has already had concussions and a torn ACL in college. I really don't get the argument that RGIII has more upside than Luck. Luck has all the makings of the next big time elite NFL QB for the next 15 years, while Griffin does have some question marks. But I guess people did think that Leaf had more upside than Peyton... how'd that work out. I see Griffin more as a flashy play maker, maybe a much more accurate ATL Michael Vick, which isn't bad at all, but not a QB that can carry you to the Super Bowl by himself like a Manning (x2), Brady or Brees.

I agree both are going to be great minus some fluke injury ending career the only arguement i see in which goes 1 or 2 is what team picks first and what offense they have planned.Both should be great QBs, its the weight and irresponsible running that is going to bite RG3 in my mind.

I agree both are going to be great minus some fluke injury ending career the only arguement i see in which goes 1 or 2 is what team picks first and what offense they have planned.Both should be great QBs, its the weight and irresponsible running that is going to bite RG3 in my mind.

He is not that light. For example:

RG3 - 6'2 223

Aaron Rodgers - 6'2 225

He is not that light. For example:

RG3 - 6'2 223

Aaron Rodgers - 6'2 225

Aaron Rodgers doesn't run out of the pocket and scramble nearly as much as Griffin will in the NFL. I'm not sure his body can hold up the punishment he is bound to go through for 15 years, he is pretty skinny and should add at least another 5-10 pounds of muscle to withstand punishment. He already has had problems with getting hit in college. Nothing that he can't handle though, I think he's going to be a great QB. Probably a better fit for the Redskins' west coast offense.

The Redskins have made tons of bad decisions during the Snyder era but he has finally taken a back seat and is allowing Allen and Shannahan implement a 5 year plan.

I know Shanny missed on Mcnabb but overall I think he is a good judge of talent.

I dont think it was so much a miss on talent as it was they missused the talent he had, they finally got some wide receivers this year, But I dont think he plays for the Skins now, cant remember where he plays actually, Donavan seemed to make it good in Philly but I cant name 1 quarterback in the last 10-15 years that went to washington and went well, that says to me it was always the quarterback, sure Rex isnt a starter but didnt they have Brad Johnson at one point, he wasnt a great Quarterback but he wasnt no slouch either, Mcnabb made a comment on First Take he was misused in the system, I tend to believe him because of the lack of success the Redskins have had at that position

RGIII could do very well, I just think he will struggle more cause of the run first mentality I think he will have in the NFL which will lead to him getting beat up alot. bith will struggle cause of them being rookies I think. but Im drafting Luck

Luck is more of a pocket passer and morepro ready.Ive followed Irsay along time and Ive never seen him make many bad decisions.he will pick Luck.I dont understand why hes been set on Luck all along and would change on it.Hes just messing with the media.

Yeah, RG3 had one great year of college, and half of a good one, luck had a couple great years, showed improvement, showed that he cares about improving his game and his education. While Griffin wants to get the big bucks earlier and doesn't wanna polish his game before going pro, who do you think we should pick??? I quite frankly thank its a no brainer.

Luck is more of a pocket passer and morepro ready.Ive followed Irsay along time and Ive never seen him make many bad decisions.he will pick Luck.I dont understand why hes been set on Luck all along and would change on it.Hes just messing with the media.

yea i think hes messing with the media too. lol. Really dumb to think analysts are saying that we should consider RG3. I dont see him fitting in a Colts system

yea i think hes messing with the media too. lol. Really dumb to think analysts are saying that we should consider RG3. I dont see him fitting in a Colts system

Keeping in mind were rebuilding and changing a system right now so Im not even sure what system that will be yet

I dont think it was so much a miss on talent as it was they missused the talent he had, they finally got some wide receivers this year, But I dont think he plays for the Skins now, cant remember where he plays actually, Donavan seemed to make it good in Philly but I cant name 1 quarterback in the last 10-15 years that went to washington and went well, that says to me it was always the quarterback, sure Rex isnt a starter but didnt they have Brad Johnson at one point, he wasnt a great Quarterback but he wasnt no slouch either, Mcnabb made a comment on First Take he was misused in the system, I tend to believe him because of the lack of success the Redskins have had at that position

Very true. Just shows how important a franchise QB is as well as the proper mgmt in place.

Shannahan is a DUD....he never was great anyway...elway helped him out. I don't see the redskins doing any better over the next 5 years...they will stay bogey for the course.

Hey, that's what I usually am when I'm on the course!

Aaron Rodgers doesn't run out of the pocket and scramble nearly as much as Griffin will in the NFL. I'm not sure his body can hold up the punishment he is bound to go through for 15 years, he is pretty skinny and should add at least another 5-10 pounds of muscle to withstand punishment. He already has had problems with getting hit in college. Nothing that he can't handle though, I think he's going to be a great QB. Probably a better fit for the Redskins' west coast offense.

I get concerned that people on this forum seem to lump RG3 in with the Vicks, Youngs, and other fast, mobile, athletic, (and I'm almost afraid to say black) quarterbacks. From everything I've seen, RG3 deserves credit for being far more able to stand in the pocket and deliver than our forum seems to acknowledge. The dude is a stud, and if it weren't for another guy, who by all appearances seems to be even better, I'd be excited by the prospect of drafting Mr. Griffen.

From the tape I have watched it looks to me like RGIII has the bigger arm. But that is the oly thing I have seen where he beats Luck.

RGIII can get the ball deep on blown coverage - something he will see much less of in the NFL.

I see him miss receivers on shorter routes and his mechanics are raw.

I get concerned that people on this forum seem to lump RG3 in with the Vicks, Youngs, and other fast, mobile, athletic, (and I'm almost afraid to say black) quarterbacks. From everything I've seen, RG3 deserves credit for being far more able to stand in the pocket and deliver than our forum seems to acknowledge. The dude is a stud, and if it weren't for another guy, who by all appearances seems to be even better, I'd be excited by the prospect of drafting Mr. Griffen.

I don't put him in the same category as Vince Young, no one deserves that. I just said Vick because of their play making ability and speed, (Vick did have a faster 40 time). If I could compare RGIII to another QB it would have to be Steve McNair because they are both pocket passers who were extremely accurate but could also make plays with their feet, and they both have similar size. But if you don't want to me to compare him to a black QB, then MAYBE Steve Young. They are both very accurate and can scramble out of the pocket. It's hard to do that because Vick and RGIII are the only QBs we've seen this explosive with their feet, they just happen to both be black.

Hey, that's what I usually am when I'm on the course!

then you sir are indeed a better golfer than me! :)

You know the saying is in response to something "well that's par for the course"....and it's obviously referred to in "good" "average" and "bad" situations....if it's a bad response you don't want to say it's par for the course...cause I'd take par for the course any day of the week....and if it's better than good then it's birdie for the course right?

Y'all get what I'm sayin :)

I don't put him in the same category as Vince Young, no one deserves that. I just said Vick because of their play making ability and speed, (Vick did have a faster 40 time). If I could compare RGIII to another QB it would have to be Steve McNair because they are both pocket passers who were extremely accurate but could also make plays with their feet, and they both have similar size. But if you don't want to me to compare him to a black QB, then MAYBE Steve Young. They are both very accurate and can scramble out of the pocket. It's hard to do that because Vick and RGIII are the only QBs we've seen this explosive with their feet, they just happen to both be black.

I apologize if I'm incorrectly assuming some of the comparison is due to skin color. I guess I just don't like the Vick comparison for 2 reasons. First, Vick was never a pocket passer, especially not in college, and second, I've never seen any player come close to the mobility Vick had in college, unless you want to compare him to all time top tier RBs. RG3 is mobile, but he is much more the pocket passer that Vick is, even now, and not nearly as elusive... IMO.

Skins fan here - dropping in to say good luck to you guys with the rebuild. We are a bit torn here - we like the prospect of getting a mobile QB like RGIII, but we know the unbelievable intangibles that come with Luck. I have been a student of the game for sometime now - I follow the trends and try to learn about our upcoming draft picks. Although both very good QB's - we as a collective fan base are secretly hoping you guys let Luck slip to #2. I think he is as solid a QB that has been seen in a long long time / he is simply a no lose proposition.

Again, good luck to the Colts in 2012!