Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

State of the Franchise

Moosejawcolt

Ballard and his staff, as good as I think they are in most areas, appear to be very weak at evaluating the skill positions. 

Maybe Eason pans out. Maybe Campbell and Pittman get healthy and tear it up, but those are big maybes. 

I’m not thrilled with Reich, but look at the QB’s, WR’s, and TE’s Reich has had the past two seasons. Is it any wonder our offense is struggling. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Ballard and his staff, as good as I think they are in most areas, appear to be very weak at evaluating the skill positions. 

Maybe Eason pans out. Maybe Campbell and Pittman get healthy and tear it up, but those are big maybes. 

I’m not thrilled with Reich, but look at the QB’s, WR’s, and TE’s Reich has had the past two seasons. Is it any wonder our offense is struggling. 

It could be a case where smart people fall in love with their brains too much, have a little too much confidence in their analytical processes, and over think position evaluations.  Look for players that fit into their scheme and current roster with defined roles and play calls in mind rather than simply selecting a good football player.

Its easy to second guess, but without using any additional capital on what we already did on receivers, we could have DK Metcalf, Claypool, and TY (in the slot).   We have been in the market for receivers and actually drafted two in the same area of the draft.

I think Rivers would look a lot better then.

19 hours ago, buccolts said:

I'm concerned about the QB play, and pleased with everything else, at this time. 

Same.  I think Ballard's silence about Rivers tells me what I need to know.  I think Ballard has two plans this off-season:

1) Sign the many impending FA's this team has

2) Find and fix the QB position

That is really the most glaring need on this team, followed by another WR/TE.

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

WHat about dressing Eason and getting him a few play a game. Just to give the offense a jolt and to see what he can do.

He looks so good. 

He has as many touchdown passes in one game as Rivers has in the whole season!

33 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Same.  I think Ballard's silence about Rivers tells me what I need to know.  I think Ballard has two plans this off-season:

1) Sign the many impending FA's this team has

2) Find and fix the QB position

That is really the most glaring need on this team, followed by another WR/TE.

And don't forget LT.

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You talk to Ballard about releasing Rivers or trading him in a deal for Haskins or Darnold. If that doesn't work, trade him for a pick, and try to trade for Haskins or Darnold. If Haskins or Darnold are unattainable, then re-sign Chad Kelly (since he knows the playbook), and have two weeks of practice during the bye week as a QB competition to determine who is the starting QB for the rest of the season. Whether it's Brissett, Kelly, Eason, Haskins, or Darnold, get a starter besides Rivers, play up his strengths, and go out there with a strategy and find your starting QB for the future between those guys.

I like your idea but only Darnold on that list may be worth scrapping the season for.  Rivers is still the best chance to make the playoffs.   It’s kinda pointless bc we will get bounced by most teams anyways.  Darnold would give us hope for the future but he is probably unobtainable right now without the first pick locked up for them.  I still think Irsay told Ballard that he needs to start winning now.  That’s what all the moves this offseason point towards.  

38 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I like your idea but only Darnold on that list may be worth scrapping the season for.  Rivers is still the best chance to make the playoffs.   It’s kinda pointless bc we will get bounced by most teams anyways.  Darnold would give us hope for the future but he is probably unobtainable right now without the first pick locked up for them.  I still think Irsay told Ballard that he needs to start winning now.  That’s what all the moves this offseason point towards.  

I think even irsay understands Ballard needs a little time to find the right fit at QB.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think even irsay understands Ballard needs a little time to find the right fit at QB.

Maybe.  My statement is 100% speculation without anything to back it up.  I believe there were reports that Irsay presses Grigson to trade for Richardson.  He may have told Ballard to get a Qb in the building but left drafting or signing one up to Ballard.  The fan base was rightfully angry bc Luck left and Brissett didn’t live up to his contract.  

Archived