Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Chris Ballard's Colts are best at working the waiver wire — the NFL's second draft.

Dogg63

Joel Erickson put together a nice piece for IndyStar about the Colts' proficiency working the waiver wire. Here's a snippet of data points I wasn't aware of:

The Colts have gotten 112 starts from waiver claims over the past three seasons; the next-best team, the Chargers, has just 47. Waiver claims have played in 222 games for the Colts; the Browns come in second at 177, and according to Pro Football Reference’s Approximate Value statistic, the players the Colts found on the waiver wire have been more than twice as productive as any other team.

It's a good read - check it out: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/09/05/why-chris-ballard-and-colts-have-been-nfls-best-waiver-wire/5731220002/

29 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Joel Erickson put together a nice piece for IndyStar about the Colts' proficiency working the waiver wire. Here's a snippet of data points I wasn't aware of:

The Colts have gotten 112 starts from waiver claims over the past three seasons; the next-best team, the Chargers, has just 47. Waiver claims have played in 222 games for the Colts; the Browns come in second at 177, and according to Pro Football Reference’s Approximate Value statistic, the players the Colts found on the waiver wire have been more than twice as productive as any other team.

It's a good read - check it out: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/09/05/why-chris-ballard-and-colts-have-been-nfls-best-waiver-wire/5731220002/

Interesting 

8 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Not sure being the highest in waiver wire starts is serving I'd describe the next team below that number as "next BEST" at....lol.  is it really a good thing to have to resort to waiver wire guys to start mid year?  I'm glad we find decent enough guys there in a pinch I guess.

It's a nice factoid, and I'm very happy we've been good at working that area......

BUT

It's likely a partial product to an extent of just how bad the roster has been. What will be interesting is how that stat looks over the next couple years now that the roster is improved.

I'd love it if he pulls a rabbit out of his hat this year.

Archived