Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is Your Opinion If The Colts Were To Try To Get Jonathan Stewart?

Brooklyn Colt

Is he better than the Raiders RB Bush? I don't think so, and Bush is a free agent so we wouldn't have to waste a pick. I'd like to see us get a fire cracker in the 4th round, like James from Oregon 9NO WAY is he a 2ed rounder) or a Chris Rainey from Florida. Guys that add speed and a different dimension to our offense.

Yes, he's about 600x better than Bush. Approximately.

Not to turn the conversation away from Stewart because i would love to get him, but i was just wondering since we have taken a RB in every draft (seems like) what would be the possibility of drafting say LaMicheal James from Oregon in the 2nd round?

I'd much rather use that 2nd rounder pick as trade bait for Stewart before drafting any RB (not named Trent Richardson, who will most definitely be gone) in the 2nd round.

I think Stewart could be crucial to the rebuilding process just as much if not more than any other rookie not selected with the 1st round pick..he's young enough to grow with this team and can easily be a top 5 player in his position..he can also be a valuable asset to our qb with his excellent receiving skills..while I would be hesitant about giving up a 2nd pick..a 3rd would be a no brainer for me..

But is it worth giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a position that's not really a need. In a rebuilding process, you try to eliminate all the needs and build your team from the ground up. I've said it at least 10 times, we have to build a foundation like a house and keep adding better players.

Gonna go out on a limb here, but I think ColtsLegacy has a thing for Jonathon Stewart. :)

He's excellent. I know we won't get him, but I'd certainly take him over any back in the draft (outside of Richardson) and Michael Bush is not even close to Stewart's level. I've liked Stewart over D. Williams pretty much from the get go in Carolina.

He's excellent. I know we won't get him, but I'd certainly take him over any back in the draft (outside of Richardson) and Michael Bush is not even close to Stewart's level. I've liked Stewart over D. Williams pretty much from the get go in Carolina.

He is really good, but with the situation the way it is in Carolina, there's going to be a lot of teams looking at getting him; Cinci, Cleveland, Green Bay, maybe Detroit, just to name a few. The good thing about him is the lack of mileage on his tires. He has been so underused that a team could sign him to a 5 year deal and get every bit of worth out of him. He looks like a workhorse, who's just been in a bad situation.

I like our guys...

Delone Carter

Darren Evans

Donald Brown

Chris Gronkowski (who I think'll get some real time as FB)

Ryan Mahaffey

need to keep evans, he played at warren central and broke alot of records. was prob the best RB in the state of indiana during his high school years

with the exception of Brown all those guys are unproven and just a question mark at this point

umm carter was a rookie and 3rd on the depth chart to get the playing time he did behind addai and brown he did decent. he had more yards rushing then brown did his rookie year. both him and brown could be a pretty good RB tandom. brown has the speed and carter has the power. if used right and if the line blocks better it could be another Bush/White and how they were at USC. although brown dont have the speed that bush had, he still has decent speed to make big runs. and carter has the build to run it up the gut on short yardage plays and goal line stances. Evans, wasnt he hurt? plus he prob would never have played with addai,brown and clark on the depth chart. Stewart would be nice, but i cant see the colts signing him unfortinately. i say just let the younger guys run the ball see where it goes from there. if it dont work then next year (seeing we may end up with a top 10 pick again) draft a better RB.

But is it worth giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a position that's not really a need. In a rebuilding process, you try to eliminate all the needs and build your team from the ground up. I've said it at least 10 times, we have to build a foundation like a house and keep adding better players.

Honestly the way I see it, RB is a position of need too..for so many years we have had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league and I am tired of it..would I give up a 3rd round pick for a guy capable putting up 1500yds 500+ receiving? heck yes..i haven't seen those numbers since the days of edgerrin..a running back like that is more valuable than any young WR or TE in this draft..yes we have holes to fill but I think some people are really downplaying the value of a good rb with comments like the rbs we have already is good enough..all our rbs SUCK compared to Stewart and up until last season EVERYBODY thought Donald Brown was a certified bust..after we draft a cb with our 2nd pick, we use that 3rd to get Stewart and use the 4th and 5th to stock up on receivers..instead of drafting a NT we would be better of signing a vet instead..the only position that will be left thin would be TE and you know what I can live with that..

umm carter was a rookie and 3rd on the depth chart to get the playing time he did behind addai and brown he did decent. he had more yards rushing then brown did his rookie year. both him and brown could be a pretty good RB tandom. brown has the speed and carter has the power. if used right and if the line blocks better it could be another Bush/White and how they were at USC. although brown dont have the speed that bush had, he still has decent speed to make big runs. and carter has the build to run it up the gut on short yardage plays and goal line stances. Evans, wasnt he hurt? plus he prob would never have played with addai,brown and clark on the depth chart. Stewart would be nice, but i cant see the colts signing him unfortinately. i say just let the younger guys run the ball see where it goes from there. if it dont work then next year (seeing we may end up with a top 10 pick again) draft a better RB.

you can't even compare their rookie season because delonte had more chances to touch the ball than donald brown..all while averaging an atrocious 3.6 yards per carry so its not like he blew him out the water..as for the other guy Evans..who knows..he's not a sure thing and I don't understand why you guys are ok with that when we are bringing in a qb who needs to be surrounded with as much valuable assets as possible that he needs to be successful in this league..Stewart/Brown sounds like one of the best rb tandems in the league hands down..

Honestly the way I see it, RB is a position of need too..for so many years we have had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league and I am tired of it..would I give up a 3rd round pick for a guy capable putting up 1500yds 500+ receiving? heck yes..i haven't seen those numbers since the days of edgerrin..a running back like that is more valuable than any young WR or TE in this draft..yes we have holes to fill but I think some people are really downplaying the value of a good rb with comments like the rbs we have already is good enough..all our rbs SUCK compared to Stewart and up until last season EVERYBODY thought Donald Brown was a certified bust..after we draft a cb with our 2nd pick, we use that 3rd to get Stewart and use the 4th and 5th to stock up on receivers..instead of drafting a NT we would be better of signing a vet instead..the only position that will be left thin would be TE and you know what I can live with that..

The Colts O-line is not the greatest run blocking line, at least not as good as the Panthers. We would be losing some much needed draft picks, and we would lose some cap space. I think it would be unfair to Donald Brown to just make him a backup after having a very impressive 3rd season. I'd like to see how he does this season, with Carter, then we'll see if RB is a need or not. I can tell you now, RB was not a need in the latter part of last year. I just don't think we should invest draft picks in money on a guy who has no idea about our system, a pretty good RB who is playing behind a young pretty good run blocking line. A guy like Stewart (imo) is perfect for a 2 back system. The Giants would be a team that would love to have him, or the Seahawks. He hasn't really proven himself as a running back who can have 20+ carries.

I think Mahaffey played like two or three games. Still, looked better than gronkowski..

As for stewart, he would easily be our best back since james. People downplay the importance of our rb spot because we have three "ok" guys. Lets face it, our rbs SUCK. one pretty good year from a potential bust and people are sayin "the running back spot is fine". Just comes to show how much that spot sucked for us the last few years. With our soon to be new o-line I think trading anything other than our first and second picks for stewart would help ump start our rebuilding process. The dude just turned 25 today. Most underrated and underused back in the league. Would you guys like Luck to have a back that can produce 1500+ yards and 500+ recieving yards a season?im not saying thats whats gonna happen if hes a full time starter, but he has the potential to. And yes he could easily handle 20+ touches a game. If chris johnson can, a 222(somewhere around there) pound stewart can

The Colts O-line is not the greatest run blocking line, at least not as good as the Panthers. We would be losing some much needed draft picks, and we would lose some cap space. I think it would be unfair to Donald Brown to just make him a backup after having a very impressive 3rd season. I'd like to see how he does this season, with Carter, then we'll see if RB is a need or not. I can tell you now, RB was not a need in the latter part of last year. I just don't think we should invest draft picks in money on a guy who has no idea about our system, a pretty good RB who is playing behind a young pretty good run blocking line. A guy like Stewart (imo) is perfect for a 2 back system. The Giants would be a team that would love to have him, or the Seahawks. He hasn't really proven himself as a running back who can have 20+ carries.

Jonathan Stewart is still on his rookie contract..he counts about 2.6 mil against the Panthers cap right now and I believe if we trade for him we wouldn't be paying that full amount so he will be relatively very cheap for us..and hypothetically speaking we would only be giving up one pick for him..So we would be getting him very cheap and only giving up ONE pick..also you must remember when the Colts drafted Donald brown it was never the intention of him being a feature back..they wanted him and Addai to be what Addai/Rhodes were in 06..and he hasn't proven that he can be a 20+ carry guy either..last year was the first time he played a full 16 since we drafted him..so him sharing the backfield with Stewart wouldn't necessarily be a demotion..they're both perfect for the rb by committee role but Stewart has shown that he can carry the load..remember when Williams tore up his knee? Stewart was carrying the rock about 20+ times during that stretch and putting up good numbers too

Jonathan Stewart is still on his rookie contract..he counts about 2.6 mil against the Panthers cap right now and I believe if we trade for him we wouldn't be paying that full amount so he will be relatively very cheap for us..and hypothetically speaking we would only be giving up one pick for him..So we would be getting him very cheap and only giving up ONE pick..also you must remember when the Colts drafted Donald brown it was never the intention of him being a feature back..they wanted him and Addai to be what Addai/Rhodes were in 06..and he hasn't proven that he can be a 20+ carry guy either..last year was the first time he played a full 16 since we drafted him..so him sharing the backfield with Stewart wouldn't necessarily be a demotion..they're both perfect for the rb by committee role but Stewart has shown that he can carry the load..remember when Williams tore up his knee? Stewart was carrying the rock about 20+ times during that stretch and putting up good numbers too

Another reason not to sign him because he's in his rookie contract and once that expires, he's going to ask for a big raise. It's what all those guys do once their contract runs out.

He's only carried the ball 20+ times 5 times in his career, that's not that much. Donald Brown doesn't have to be the feature back, the Colts have Delone Carter to take 5-9 carries a game. Brown should be carrying the ball 15-18 times a game, which seems to be a good amount of times for him.

There is a reason why they got rid of Addai. They were rebuilding and they believed that Brown could lead the way...why else would they release him. Brown had a great year taking the majority of the carries. Adding Jonathan Stewart would just make the RB a mess with Brown Carter and now him. I just don't think he's ready to take the number 1 role, and even then I don't want to invest that much money in him, cause he'll want a new contract when the rookie one runs out.

Another reason not to sign him because he's in his rookie contract and once that expires, he's going to ask for a big raise. It's what all those guys do once their contract runs out.

He's only carried the ball 20+ times 5 times in his career, that's not that much. Donald Brown doesn't have to be the feature back, the Colts have Delone Carter to take 5-9 carries a game. Brown should be carrying the ball 15-18 times a game, which seems to be a good amount of times for him.

There is a reason why they got rid of Addai. They were rebuilding and they believed that Brown could lead the way...why else would they release him. Brown had a great year taking the majority of the carries. Adding Jonathan Stewart would just make the RB a mess with Brown Carter and now him. I just don't think he's ready to take the number 1 role, and even then I don't want to invest that much money in him, cause he'll want a new contract when the rookie one runs out.

and we will have more than enough to retain him next year..we also let go of joe addai because he is an aging injury prone rb lets make that clear..he just got a new contract and if he was able to stay on the field that would not be the case..let me ask you something..what if Brown gets injured? with him handling that much carries next year its bound to happen..he hasn't proven to be very durable..can you imagine what our rb depth will look like?..the thought of Carter and his 3.6 rushing avg and some guy named Evans who i'm assuming is an Indiana favorite (which I would know nothing of) doesn't sound appealing and I would hope Luck/Griffin would be able to hold up..having stewart/brown as the lead backs and carter as the 3rd rb sounds like a VERY solid rb lineup right there..ALL rbs with some experience under their belt..

He's only had a handful of 20 carry games because of the team he's played on. The guy is still young, 235 lbs with hands, speed, and doesn't have a history of injuries. Whoever he goes to I'm confident is going to be very happy. It's not a position of need, but it's a big step up in talent and may be available for a good price.

and we will have more than enough to retain him next year..we also let go of joe addai because he is an aging injury prone rb lets make that clear..he just got a new contract and if he was able to stay on the field that would not be the case..let me ask you something..what if Brown gets injured? with him handling that much carries next year its bound to happen..he hasn't proven to be very durable..can you imagine what our rb depth will look like?..the thought of Carter and his 3.6 rushing avg and some guy named Evans who i'm assuming is an Indiana favorite (which I would know nothing of) doesn't sound appealing and I would hope Luck/Griffin would be able to hold up..having stewart/brown as the lead backs and carter as the 3rd rb sounds like a VERY solid rb lineup right there..ALL rbs with some experience under their belt..

Thinking about it now, he may not even know that he's the one being traded. It could be Williams.

Either way, I'm just wondering is it really worth it spending a 2nd round pick on him? I really don't think so because we have so many other needs that even if he pans out, it wont make a difference due to those needs. I think he has great potential, but I just don't see him doing well behind our O-line because it's not as good as theirs and we may not go run heavy, which means that we'll have 2 or 3 running backs fighting it out for some limited playing time. I just see too many things against trying to get this guy.

If Brown gets injured, then Carter and Evans comes in. Evans is a running back who has a good mix of speed and power. He really impressed me in the preseason and I think he would have made the team had Addai not been there. We have good depth at the RB spot, but not a great starter (yet). I'm not saying Brown will be great, but I'd give him a year before we all say let's dump him. He really improved last year with a mediocre (at best) line. The line has gotten better in run blocking, so let's see how that turns out.

So bottomline, Stewart would require a high draft pick which is not worth it, if you ask me, because your making the case that he would split time with Brown. I'm not trading a 2nd round pick for a split-back. The Colts have space, but they'll need to use it to sign a bunch of FAs next year plus their draft picks. Stewart will ask for a raise.

Let me get this straight, I like Jonathan Stewart, he's a good underrated tough running back, but in a rebuilding mode, we have to worry about the needs first, not upgrading already pretty solid positions. If he's avaiable in a couple of years, then I'll say yes, but right now is not the best time to be going after big RBs when we have 2 good ones.

He's only had a handful of 20 carry games because of the team he's played on. The guy is still young, 235 lbs with hands, speed, and doesn't have a history of injuries. Whoever he goes to I'm confident is going to be very happy. It's not a position of need, but it's a big step up in talent and may be available for a good price.

In this state that we're in, worry about the needs first then start upgrading at each spot. That's how you build a team, just look at the Falcons, or the Texans, they did it properly and you'll be hard pressed to find many holes/needs on their teams. I really like Stewart, but now is not the right time.

In this state that we're in, worry about the needs first then start upgrading at each spot. That's how you build a team, just look at the Falcons, or the Texans, they did it properly and you'll be hard pressed to find many holes/needs on their teams. I really like Stewart, but now is not the right time.

I agree, and that's why I included for the right price. Not sure what that is, I would normally say a third, but if we don't get an NT in free agency, it would be tough to spend the third. A fourth is unlikely, but a no-brainer if possible.

Thinking about it now, he may not even know that he's the one being traded. It could be Williams.

Either way, I'm just wondering is it really worth it spending a 2nd round pick on him? I really don't think so because we have so many other needs that even if he pans out, it wont make a difference due to those needs. I think he has great potential, but I just don't see him doing well behind our O-line because it's not as good as theirs and we may not go run heavy, which means that we'll have 2 or 3 running backs fighting it out for some limited playing time. I just see too many things against trying to get this guy.

If Brown gets injured, then Carter and Evans comes in. Evans is a running back who has a good mix of speed and power. He really impressed me in the preseason and I think he would have made the team had Addai not been there. We have good depth at the RB spot, but not a great starter (yet). I'm not saying Brown will be great, but I'd give him a year before we all say let's dump him. He really improved last year with a mediocre (at best) line. The line has gotten better in run blocking, so let's see how that turns out.

So bottomline, Stewart would require a high draft pick which is not worth it, if you ask me, because your making the case that he would split time with Brown. I'm not trading a 2nd round pick for a split-back. The Colts have space, but they'll need to use it to sign a bunch of FAs next year plus their draft picks. Stewart will ask for a raise.

Let me get this straight, I like Jonathan Stewart, he's a good underrated tough running back, but in a rebuilding mode, we have to worry about the needs first, not upgrading already pretty solid positions. If he's avaiable in a couple of years, then I'll say yes, but right now is not the best time to be going after big RBs when we have 2 good ones.

na Williams would be the harder one to move because that contract they signed him to..they got Tolbert who can essentially do everything Stewart can so he's pretty expendable at this point..but i agree with you that we shouldn't give up a 2nd round pick for him..3rd? yes..especially if we can sign a veteran nose tackle..

na Williams would be the harder one to move because that contract they signed him to..they got Tolbert who can essentially do everything Stewart can so he's pretty expendable at this point..but i agree with you that we shouldn't give up a 2nd round pick for him..3rd? yes..especially if we can sign a veteran nose tackle..

I think a 3rd is too much, even if they sign a NT. A 4th I would say yes, but anything higher, no. Tolbert can do everything including FB, so maybe they keep Stewart and Williams and make Tolbert the FB. He played it before in SD.

It is well documented that running backs are a dime a dozen. Last year Demarco Murray was a 3rd round pick and Roy Helu was a 4th round pick, so in essence I prefer getting a younger back if I am going to spend a high draft pick on any rb.

To be honest DBrown is not an every down back, but he could become a great change of pace back (8-14 carries). Delone Carter was unimpressive last year. Darren Evans on the other hand was impressive last preseason, and I suspect after a year of experience he is ready to contribute.

His measurables are stupendous, and his game speed is faster than Delone's. One other thing, Darren was highly touted after his freshman campaign at VTech, then he got injured. He came back to outplay Ryan Williams (projected 1st last season) his junior year before turning pro. Just because he is from Indy means nothing. I think he is the top back on this roster, unless he proves a health risk.

I'd rather sign a cheap veteran, than to trade a draft pick for JStew.

The Panthers just recently signed Tolbert to a 4 year deal which now means they have 3 Rbs with Williams, Stewart and Tolbert. All 3 are good Rbs who can be starters for most teams in the league..with the contract that the Panthers gave Williams last year this obviously leaves Stewart as the odd man out.

Me personally I would love if we could get him as I think he is a great running back who didnt get much touches last year playing behind Williams and a running qb like Cam Newton. With the signing of Tolbert he will have to compete with 3 guys just to get some touches. I dont think the idea of getting him is farfechted..what do you guys think if they were to try to get him?

I'd say sign Michael Bush... more reliable and just as productive....

It is well documented that running backs are a dime a dozen. Last year Demarco Murray was a 3rd round pick and Roy Helu was a 4th round pick, so in essence I prefer getting a younger back if I am going to spend a high draft pick on any rb.

To be honest DBrown is not an every down back, but he could become a great change of pace back (8-14 carries). Delone Carter was unimpressive last year. Darren Evans on the other hand was impressive last preseason, and I suspect after a year of experience he is ready to contribute.

His measurables are stupendous, and his game speed is faster than Delone's. One other thing, Darren was highly touted after his freshman campaign at VTech, then he got injured. He came back to outplay Ryan Williams (projected 1st last season) his junior year before turning pro. Just because he is from Indy means nothing. I think he is the top back on this roster, unless he proves a health risk.

I'd rather sign a cheap veteran, than to trade a draft pick for JStew.

backs are not a dime a dozen... getting good ones IS rather easy tho...

The Colt backfield is fine, they just need ONE more BIG man.

If we could get him I would be all for it. The guy is a young RB who has proven to be a very effective running back since he was drafted. That is definitely not something we can say about DB. Stewart is a multi purpose back who can block, carry the ball, and catch on a very consistent basis. He would be an immediate upgrade to our running back position.

Though I think we would have to go give up to much for him though.