Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Closer Look: Jordan Glasgow LB/S/ST (R6•P34)

EastStreet

A Closer Look: Jordan Glasgow  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Jordan Glasgow prediction for 2020?

• Cut
    • Practice Squad
    • Roster as Special Teams Player
    • Roster as LB depth + Special Teams
    • Roster as S depth + Special Teams
    • Roster as LB starter
    • Roster as S starter
  2. 2. Do the Michigan Wolverines stink like skunk bear butts?

3. 3. Do you think a player that is likely limited to Special Teams Coverage is worth a 6th round pick?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/29/2020 at 03:02 PM

I'm deep diving all the draft picks, so figured I'm add some structure to my info hunt, and publish for y'all. Might do a few UDFAs as well if I have time once I'm finished with the draft picks. If you have requests for added data, let me know and I'll incorporate. Enjoy.

Name: Jordan Glasgow
Twitter: NA
Hometown: Summit Argo, IL
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 226 lbs
School: Michigan
School2: NA

College Position (latest): WILL LB
College Position2: STs, Viper
Likely NFL Position: STs coverage, BoxS?, SAM?

Pick: Round 6 • Pick 34 (213)
40 Time: NA
Vert: NA
Draft Grade: 5.48
Draft Projection: UDFA/Priority free agent
Taken Higher Than Projeced: Yes
HS 247 Grade: No grade OLB / Walk-on

Injury Flags: NA
Attititude or Behavior Flags: No

Captain: No

School Awards:
Roger Zatkoff Award (2019) 
Blue Collar Award (2019)
Special Teams Player of the Year (2017)

Conference Awards:
Four-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree (2016-19)

National Awards: No

Family History: 
Brother of C for Broncos
Brother of DT for Bengals

Academic:
• Graduated from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business with a degree in Business Administration
• Pursuing a Real Estate Development certificate in the Rackham Graduate School

Stats:
Appeared in 52 career games with two starts at viper and 13 starts at Will linebacker
Year1: RS
Year2: SoloT 8, TotalT 23
Year3: ST 7, TOT 11, PD 1
Year4: ST 17, TOT 28, TFL 3-24, Sack 2-21, FF 1
Year5: ST 46, TOT 89, TFL 7-54, S 5-34, PD 2, BLK 1

School Bio and Stats:
https://mgoblue.com/sports/football/roster/jordan-glasgow/19018

NFL.com Bio:
Jordan's brothers played in the trenches for the Wolverines before moving on to the NFL (Ryan on defense with the Bengals and Graham on offense with the Broncos). The youngest Glasgow's role with Michigan in his first three years was primarily a special-teams ace. He played in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman (12 tackles) and as a sophomore (11 tackles), when he earned the team's Special Teams Player of the Year award. As a junior, however, the multi-time Academic All-District selection started twice at the Viper position while racking up 28 stops (three for loss, two losses) in 13 contests. Glasgow took over a permanent job in his senior season, racking up 89 tackles, seven for loss, with five sacks, two pass breakups and a blocked kick.

NFL.com Overview:
Glasgow is a fun player to watch with his boundless energy and fearless nature continuing to show up on snap after snap. He uses his hands effectively to help elude or unglue from blockers and he's a card-carrying special teams ace. However, he's too small as an NFL linebacker and doesn't run well enough to play safety in the league. He will compete like a demon wherever he lands, but below-average traits and his lack of coverage ability may sink his chances despite the special teams production.

NFL.com Strengths:

Recorded 27 career special-teams tackles, according to Pro Football Focus

Plays with the aggressiveness and toughness of a bigger player
Adequate diagnosis quickness against the run
Technique with hand usage helps him at the point of attack
Developed a variety of techniques to slip blocks
Able to get off of bigger blockers fairly effectively
Closing burst for short-area pursuit
Stays tackle-ready filling the gap and finishes at a highly efficient rate.

NFL.com Weaknesses:
Undersized as a linebacker with stubby build
Arm length falls under 31 inches
Range is a little limited on lateral tackle tries
Play can be rigid and mechanical
Doesn't have sheer size or strength to constrict his gap
Limitations create very thin margin for error
Below average stop-start acceleration
Can and will be exploited in coverage

East Street's Worthless Opinion:
Talent Grade (O or D): D
Talent Grade (STs): B
Team Need Grade: C
Round Value Grade: C
55 Man Chance: 25%
Practice Squad Chance: 50%
Floor: Cut early
Ceiling: ST's ace, maybe blitz Safety package
Year 1 Prediction: Coin flip to make 55/PS
Long Term Prediction: Bubble guy

East Street Hot Take: 
Smart and high motor former walk-on who lacks athletic ability and size. Has great family lines. While he seems to have been the runt of the litter, he still inherited the heart. Has potential to end up a special team's ace, but will be competing with kids who might have higher long term positional value and ceilings. The Colts do need to improve STs, so there is a need to fill. I could see him "officially" tagged as SAM or Box S, but can't really see him ever playing meaningful snaps at either. Good kid to cheer for even if he was a Meatchicken. I'm hesitant to count him out after reading up on him and watching vids.

Links:
NFL.com 
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-glasgow?id=3219474c-4136-0070-9c20-41c1f66d52a0

Vids:

38 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Great write up, this sort of stuff is great for people like me who doesn't have too much knowledge or access of college football. Ballard seemed quite high on his special team abilities in interview after draft didn't he?!

Thanks. Hope you enjoy.

I think Ballard seems high on some (Glasgow, Pinter), and plays down others (Eason), for different reasons. Mostly "fan control" lol

Thanks E.S.  These write ups are just what the Dr. ordered for the post draft Corona days. 

I am curious about the Canadian kid the Colts grabbed as an UDFA. Amazingly, the only OT they added. 

A deep dive on him to see if the Colts might have a hidden gem here would be appreciated.  

Just now, Hoose said:

Thanks E.S.  These write ups are just what the Dr. ordered for the post draft Corona days. 

I am curious about the Canadian kid the Colts grabbed as an UDFA. Amazingly, the only OT they added. 

A deep dive on him to see if the Colts might have a hidden gem here would be appreciated.  

You're welcome. I'm going to try and do some UDFAs when I'm done with the draft picks. 

I did these three last night and pasted/posted this AM. Will likely do 3 per day. Should get to the UDFAs by Thursday or Friday. Maybe sooner if I get in a groove.  I'm interested in the Canadian too.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks. Hope you enjoy.

I think Ballard seems high on some (Glasgow, Pinter), and plays down others (Eason), for different reasons. Mostly "fan control" lol

I agree EastStreet. Ballard is extremely smart and knows what he's doing and saying at all times. I definitely feel like he talks some players up so the fans will get on board and so the player will gain confidence in his chance on the team. Whereas others such as Eason he does the opposite to temper expectations from the fans & media while also sending out a message to the player that nothing will be handed to him and he is going to have to compete his "nuts" off. 

I see Glasgow as a Sergio Brown type of player. Brown was an Elite Special Teams player. As a gunner he could flip the field in our favor, but Brown thought too highly of himself as a Safety. He wasn't a starting Safety but he thought he should be. Hopefully, Glasgow doesn't have that mentality. If he plays well enough to be a backup or even a starter that's great, but if he is only spec. teams I hope he masters that and stays humble.

10 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I agree EastStreet. Ballard is extremely smart and knows what he's doing and saying at all times. I definitely feel like he talks some players up so the fans will get on board and so the player will gain confidence in his chance on the team. Whereas others such as Eason he does the opposite to temper expectations from the fans & media while also sending out a message to the player that nothing will be handed to him and he is going to have to compete his "nuts" off. 

I prefer simple honesty instead of fan management. All the GM spin and speak detracts from the message, at least IMO. Then you have all the fans that hang on every word they say lol, and when they do something, "it was there if you listened" lol...... I miss the years when they just said what was on their mind in the moment. 

8 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

I see Glasgow as a Sergio Brown type of player. Brown was an Elite Special Teams player. As a gunner he could flip the field in our favor, but Brown thought too highly of himself as a Safety. He wasn't a starting Safety but he thought he should be. Hopefully, Glasgow doesn't have that mentality. If he plays well enough to be a backup or even a starter that's great, but if he is only spec. teams I hope he masters that and stays humble.

Sergio at least had prototypical size, and can be used at the position (S) if needed. He even started for NE for a while. So his value was S depth + STs. Glasgow is really only STs. If Glasgow is starting for us at LB or S, I'd be petrified. 

3 hours ago, ThePowerslave said:

Nice way to take a pot shot at UM with your "poll".  I like your polls, but try to keep your questions relevant.  

Meatchicken stinking is always relevant. 

why so serious?

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Our special teams suffered last year. Why put him on the practice squad when we need him playing?

I think we've added several folks that can play STs (draft and FA). I'm rooting for the kid, but I think we'll have several additions/changes in STs, so he'll absolutely have more competition. 

Went PS, No, and No.

Want to like the pick because I like what little I know about the person (former walk-on, NFL bloodline) but I’m just struggling with it right now LOL.

ST’s is important and being a stud on teams has earned people around the league consistent roster spots but I just wanted a player who offered more as a piece on the defense I guess.

28 minutes ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:

Went PS, No, and No.

Want to like the pick because I like what little I know about the person (former walk-on, NFL bloodline) but I’m just struggling with it right now LOL.

ST’s is important and being a stud on teams has earned people around the league consistent roster spots but I just wanted a player who offered more as a piece on the defense I guess.

100%

1 hour ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:

Went PS, No, and No.

50 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

100%

There is always a spot for a great player. Those are the ones who end up with that crucial play that impacts a game. 

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is always a spot for a great player. Those are the ones who end up with that crucial play that impacts a game. 

Sure there's always a spot for a great player. Question is, is he great? And there's just so many guys you can keep for ST-only ability. I don't know the answer. 

I believe both his brothers were also walk-ons at Michigan.

I am very curious as to how the roster expansion will impact the last couple spots on this team.  I have read through it some and think I understand it, but am sure I forget some nuances.  Anyway, it could be really beneficial for a guy like Glasgow who I think would normally be cut or sent to PS -- but maybe it affords us to keep a ST ace.  

I voted practice squad, no, yes... though I'm not sure on that last one -- if there was a 'maybe' I would've went there.  

I mean there are plenty of teams who like having a ST ace and plenty of players who made their career out of doing so.  A good friend of mine played at Lafayette w/ Blake Costanzo who made it 8 years in the NFL as a ST guy -- I don't know that he ever got a snap at LB, but he was very solid on ST.  

Chris Prosinski (Univ. of Wyoming) made it 7-8 years in the league.  Only one of those years did he see any time as a S, but he was a stud STer.

Then you've got guys like Steve Tasker who was a 7x all-pro and more recently voted as the 9th best player not to be in the HOF.  He had 51 receptions over a 12-13 year career, but was an exceptional special teams guy.  He had the ability to really impact games with his ST play and was a big part of the Bills run at losing all those Superbowls in the early 1990's.  From 1985-1989 he had 2 catches (both in '85)... from '90-'93 he had a total of 8 catches (2 per year)... '94 no catches.. 95-96 he had 20 and 21 catches (and 8 and 9 attempts running the ball) and 97 he had no catches.  He seldom returned kicks and late in his career he had a couple years where he was a situational punt returner.  Long story short, the guy was a 'gunner' and a ST ace.  

So it's hard to say -- but if Glasgow winds up being 80% the STer Tasker was, I'd say he's well worth the late 6th round pick.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sure there's always a spot for a great player. Question is, is he great? And there's just so many guys you can keep for ST-only ability. I don't know the answer. 

With the play or should I say the lack of special teams s play last season I believe he will make the roster. I know he is undersize but I think Ballard drafted him for that specific reason. 

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With the play or should I say the lack of special teams s play last season I believe he will make the roster. I know he is undersize but I think Ballard drafted him for that specific reason. 

That’s what I think. 

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It'll be interesting. I don't see us keeping more than 6 LBs (that's how many we carried last year), given we only average about 2.3 on the field at any given time. If we used SAM more, or we were in a 3-4, than I'd say we might carry more. Pretty sure most 4-3s carry 6. The extra CBA non-OL slot might change things.  I highly doubt we keep more than 7 though. I could also see them counting Glasgow as a box S. We have less of log jam at SS/Box. At the end of the day, there's only so many spots.

Out of the LBs you have to think,

Locks

Leonard

Walker

Okereke

Leg up

Speed (played a fair amount of ST)

Adams (played a ton of ST)

Likely competing for 6-7

Moore

Franklin (played a ton of ST)

Glasgow