Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo to return - per CB

John Hammonds

On 2/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, EastStreet said:

We really don't know the situation or terms, but it does appear from the extraneous circumstances that we may have got "took" a bit.

If you look at his snaps, he played the majority of snaps in 2 early games (two 90+%) then benched, then mid season plays the majority of snaps in two games (one 80%, on 100%), then benched, then played the majority of snaps in two games late in the season, then benched the last two games.

In short, it looks and smells fishy, and a lot like snap manipulation. He had the 4th most snaps of CBs, and only 3 snaps behind the 3rd most. So really he was at minimum a #2 on the depth chart who started 6 games. Not getting 6th for that is pretty confusing. Whatever terms were set to enact the "condition", were weak as hell, and too weak for a guy who was a starter the year before.

Intelligent, like one filled with stats and facts, instead of anecdotal stuff..  like the one above.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Iowa's  Triston Wirtz!!!

I apologize for spelling this fine young man's name wrong. Its Wirfs, not Wirtz. Plays both Tackle positions. Close to the Iowa College record for weightlifting. A Wrestler, shot-putter, and discus thrower. Fantastic Athlete.  6'5"/ 322 lbs.  A Q clone of a Road Grader.  Put him at RT, Move Braden to RG and Run, Run, Run!!!!  He plays LT best, so he can move over when AC is done.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:56 PM, EastStreet said:

It's all hypothetical right lol. Unless I missed something, we don't know if it there was a hypothetical guaranteed 7th on the table vs conditional 6th. 

IMO, whatever it was, it was bad. Call it a bad decision, bad gamble (trying to get a 6th over a 7th), or just getting taken advantage of with conditions. Either way we lost lost. This whole narrative that Ballard can do no wrong or doesn't make mistakes is pretty silly. Folks act like he's been a GM for 10+ years with an unquestionable history. I really like him, but this whole worship thing is funny.

every single thing you and Jared are saying is hypothetical...  you are both assuming there was another option...maybe there wasn't.  none of us know 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

every single thing you and Jared are saying is hypothetical...  you are both assuming there was another option...maybe there wasn't.  none of us know 

Yes, all hypothetical. But what is not hypothetical is getting nothing for someone who turned out to be a part time starter and at minimum a #2 CB on the depth chart. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:47 AM, stitches said:

:banana:

It's hard to overstate just how important this return of AC is for the Colts. He was quite possibly the most important piece of our OLine last year. I cannot find the graph I saw about a month or so ago, but it showed AC was the OT in the league with least help in pass protection in the entire league with noone being even close to him and he was still above average in pass-protection. The success of our OLine is hugely dependent on him. The whole scheme depends on AC's ability to protect the blindside on his own... this allows us to send help to the other side and improve the performance of the right side of the line through scheming and shifting protections and help to the right side. 

It would have been a disaster IMO if he'd retired. Now I want to see the contract and see if we can glean anything from it about the likelihood of him retiring next year. We probably still need to start looking for his successor soon, possibly in this draft. 

I agree, AC is very important for the team. In his recent interview with Colts.com, he mentioned two excellent things:

1. He is a Colt through and through.

"I don't think there was ever a question about coming back to the Colts. I love the Colts and I love the organization. I think they've been nothing but good to me, and I trust the head coach and I trust the general manager and I trust the owner. So that was never a question."

2. He has a lot more in the tank and feels his best football is ahead of him.

"What ultimately made me decide to come back and play was just the fact that after starting some offseason training and kind of doing some things that I had done last year at this time, realizing how far ahead of where I was last year at this time I am right now, and just really realizing how much more I have in the tank and how I think that my best football is still ahead of me. So it didn't make sense for me to hang it up at this time."

I think he'll be around for another 2-year contract after this one. Hope so!!

Archived