Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo to return - per CB

John Hammonds

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:banana:

It's hard to overstate just how important this return of AC is for the Colts. He was quite possibly the most important piece of our OLine last year. I cannot find the graph I saw about a month or so ago, but it showed AC was the OT in the league with least help in pass protection in the entire league with noone being even close to him and he was still above average in pass-protection. The success of our OLine is hugely dependent on him. The whole scheme depends on AC's ability to protect the blindside on his own... this allows us to send help to the other side and improve the performance of the right side of the line through scheming and shifting protections and help to the right side. 

It would have been a disaster IMO if he'd retired. Now I want to see the contract and see if we can glean anything from it about the likelihood of him retiring next year. We probably still need to start looking for his successor soon, possibly in this draft. 

1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

I just read that he will only not retire.... But anyways, I don't think he's going to play somewhere else. 

Good news. Made my day! :thmup:

AC said he was either playing for the Colts, or retiring.   I don’t think playing elsewhere was ever an option for him. 

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard said it’s going to be year to year with AC.

I am leaning towards seeing Ballard try for Love and an OT. Which means he will be looking for a guy like Harris in FA from Denver. Looking like that's going to be a really important signing. With AC being year to year, kinlaw is looking less and less likely. Jmo. 

1 hour ago, KB said:

Does anyone still want him to move to right tackle? Just wondering. It was a pretty popular opinion not to long ago.

Personally, I still think the weak link on the OL is Glowinski.  I also think B. Smith is a more natural fit at G than T (he's played well at T, I just think he'd be a dominant RG as opposed to an above average RT).  I think our OL would improve by moving Glow to the bench, moving AC or another very solid player to RT, moving Smith to RG and having AC or a stud at LT.  If AC's year-to-year, maybe we could draft a guy in 2-3 round and have him develop under AC for a year then try to make a move.  Not saying it'd be the best thing to do, but getting Glow off the field, IMO would improve the OL.

29 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Personally, I still think the weak link on the OL is Glowinski.  I also think B. Smith is a more natural fit at G than T (he's played well at T, I just think he'd be a dominant RG as opposed to an above average RT).  I think our OL would improve by moving Glow to the bench, moving AC or another very solid player to RT, moving Smith to RG and having AC or a stud at LT.  If AC's year-to-year, maybe we could draft a guy in 2-3 round and have him develop under AC for a year then try to make a move.  Not saying it'd be the best thing to do, but getting Glow off the field, IMO would improve the OL.

I would say that even tho Glowinski had a down year, we should leave him at right guard until someone beats him for the spot. According to PFF he was 1st in the league in penalties as a guard. That's definitely a spot to improve. He also allowed three sacks, tied for 20th. I do wonder if Smith would be a better guard than him.

Braden Smith to me is like Jack Conklin. Both were viewed as great guard but have done well at tackle despite their size. Both are 6"6'. Jack has 10 pounds on him according to google. I say leave him at RT til he shows he cant handle it or someone beats him for the spot.

AC has played LT in the nfl since 2011. For him to move to RT would be a mistake because all the muscle memory he has from the left side would have to be relearned. No need for that when he is thinking about retiring, even if its within the next couple years.

The best thing they can do for the line is start bringing in quality players that can either beat these three for their spots, or be quality depth for when the inevitable injury happens. We got lucky last year having a healthy oline. I highly doubt we get that lucky again.

The moving AC to RT was more of a joke. He has been trashed by fans for years when he was always one of our best players on the line. Dont fix what isnt broken.

47 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

be better off bringing in a new guy, a top 45 pick, one that would be good at LT, but put him at RT, slide Smith back to RG.

Very pleased AC has decided to play another year. :applause:  He's fun to watch (along with the rest of the O-line).  Last year he said he felt the best he'd felt in years going into the season.  I bet that played into his decision to stick it out, along with playing next to someone as dynamic as Q.  

55 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would prefer going DT, WR, and OT with our first 3 picks unless someone like Jordan Love were there at the 34th overall spot. 

You want to spend a Day 2 draft pick on OT even though AC is coming back?

Or did you write this before the AC announcement was made?

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You want to spend a Day 2 draft pick on OT even though AC is coming back?

Or did you write this before the AC announcement was made?

Absolutely I would. It’s the smart play given the fact that even Ballard said AC is gonna be treated as a year to year thing

Archived