Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine measurements Thread

Henry Ruggs is getting some press based on hand measurements:

https://247sports.com/Article/Henry-Ruggs-NFL-Combine-hand-measurements-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-2020-draft-144198094/

Jake Fromm, is not wowing anyone after the hand measurements, at least based on this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-combine-jordan-love-the-big-winner-as-quarterbacks-weigh-in-and-get-measured/

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

Henry Ruggs is getting some press based on hand measurements:

https://247sports.com/Article/Henry-Ruggs-NFL-Combine-hand-measurements-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-2020-draft-144198094/

Jake Fromm, is not wowing anyone after the hand measurements, at least based on this article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-combine-jordan-love-the-big-winner-as-quarterbacks-weigh-in-and-get-measured/

I've been watching more of Ruggs last couple of days. That tape is filthy! No wonder some NFL evaluators think he might actually get drafted before Lamb or Jeudy... or both? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I've been watching more of Ruggs last couple of days. That tape is filthy! No wonder some NFL evaluators think he might actually get drafted before Lamb or Jeudy... or both? 

Ruggs is the closest to Tyreek Hill in the draft, IMO, in terms of speed based talent.

• Like 4

WOTbeQv.jpg

^the QB measurements from the above article... Damn. Fromm failed the hand size measurement. I'm not sure it matters for me, though... Burrow on the edge too... 

Love has the largest hands... we knew that from the Senior Bowl measurements... but all his measurements just scream "NFL QB"

• Like 3

Just now, stitches said:

WOTbeQv.jpg

^the QB measurements from the above article... Damn. Fromm failed the hand size measurement. I'm not sure it matters for me, though... 

His hands are just 1/8th of an inch shorter than Joe Burrow but just like 6 feet was the height taboo for QBs, now 9 inch hands are that. :) 

Just takes 1 team to fall in love with him though.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

His hands are just 1/8th of an inch shorter than Joe Burrow but just like 6 feet was the height taboo for QBs, now 9 inch hands are that. :) 

Yep... like people say - it's not a problem unless it's a problem. I haven't noticed it being a problem for either of them (ball security, etc.)... I guess... I wonder if teams are worried about the center-QB exchange. Most of those QBs have not taken many snaps under center. Although... Fromm actually did do it a bit in Georgia. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep... like people say - it's not a problem unless it's a problem. I haven't noticed it being a problem for either of them (ball security, etc.)... I guess... I wonder if teams are worried about the center-QB exchange. Most of those QBs have not done that much. Although... Fromm actually did do it a bit in Georgia. 

Some coaches that play in cold weather and outdoor condition oriented divisions tend to play it safe though. Goff's struggles in cold weather are documented but then another California QB in Aaron Rodgers seems to be at home in Green Bay. :) 

Here are some articles that talk about it:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/1/17066910/nfl-combine-hand-measurement-quarterback-draft

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/nfl-combine-kyler-murray-hand-size-doesnt-matter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are some interesting TEs.... this TE class is better than I initially thought. It doesn't have some elite talent, but you can probably get a good prospect in day 2 - early day 3 range. 

Agreed. Day 3 is where I think the Colts strike, but I could see Ballard taking someone who falls in the 3rd round. Thanks for posting the QBs too. At least the one that matter lol. Saved me the trouble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. Day 3 is where I think the Colts strike, but I could see Ballard taking someone who falls in the 3rd round. Thanks for posting the QBs too. At least the one that matter lol. Saved me the trouble.

I tried to find a site that has them all but I can't seem to find one. 

BTW here's the schedule for all position groups:

ERjFG-yWsAEb09U?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So Fromm is basically 6'2 220lbs with the same size hands as Joe Burrow (#1 pick).  Not sure why people are acting like he's failed some kind of measurement test lol   He's the same size as Tony Romo, but Romo had SMALLER hands 

Something of note - it seems like Chase Claypool is trying to make move to TE(those are the rumors - that he's open to it). He's gained 10 pounds from the Senior Bowl until the Combine and is now 238. I like this. I've been saying he's a potential TE conversion prospect for a while. 

Another one that I think is a WR to TE conversion candidate is Juwan Johnson from Oregon. He's real big... very good measurements and if he gained 20 pounds he might turn into a good TE prospect, rather than an undraftable plodding WR. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

Something of note - it seems like Chase Claypool is trying to make move to TE(those are the rumors - that he's open to it). He's gained 10 pounds from the Senior Bowl until the Combine and is now 238. I like this. I've been saying he's a potential TE conversion prospect for a while. 

Another one that I think is a WR to TE conversion candidate is Juwan Johnson from Oregon. He's real big... very good measurements and if he gained 20 pounds he might turn into a good TE prospect, rather than an undraftable plodding WR. 

What about Collin Johnson converting to TE?

This draft is deep, real deep on the WR front and to an extent on the TE front too, we could double dip for WRs and TEs, IMO.

I am placing the over/under on both WRs and TEs drafted by the Colts as 3. I feel we will draft 3 pass catchers in this draft at least, not counting RBs. What do you think?

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Possible, but I want to see how well he runs. I still harbor hopes that he might be good enough to play as a WR. 

I didn’t like how small his arms were. That’s probably why scouts say he doesn’t play up to his size and Darnay Holmes was able to lock him up. TE would be better for him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Fromm passed the height test, actually just a hair under 6.2.  Hand size is a concern.  

Maybe Fromm can grow his hands like Brandon Allen did, no I am not kidding :), Brandon Allen from Arkansas, another SEC school, underwent surgery to enlarge his hands in 2016, he plays back up QB for the Broncos now, read this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/25/nfl-combine-quarterbacks-brandon-allen-hands

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... he's a possession slot IMO. Very reliable, but somewhat limited. 

IDK about being a possession wr, he had a ton of big plays in college. I am more concerned how he will do when the best college qb is not throwing to him. Also a team isn't going to spend a high pick on a slot WR so what will happen is he will be drafted super high and a team is going to try him out wide and he is going to bust. I will be curious how fast he runs but him being2 inches shorter than listed removes the intrigue for me.