Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Combine measurements Thread

14 minutes ago, twfish said:

IDK about being a possession wr, he had a ton of big plays in college. I am more concerned how he will do when the best college qb is not throwing to him. Also a team isn't going to spend a high pick on a slot WR so what will happen is he will be drafted super high and a team is going to try him out wide and he is going to bust. I will be curious how fast he runs but him being2 inches shorter than listed removes the intrigue for me.

No idea... he has some burst, but he almost never gets the opportunity to run away from defenders. Do you think he gets in the 4.4s?

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

No idea... he has some burst, but he almost never gets the opportunity to run away from defenders. Do you think he gets in the 4.4s?

I think so but the 40 yard dash is such a dumb thing to go off of. Some guys play quicker than their 40 times while other guys player slower than 40 times. Like I still don't believe during a game D.K is hitting 4.3's on a go route.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

I think so but the 40 yard dash is such a dumb thing to go off of. Some guys play quicker than their 40 times while other guys player slower than 40 times. Like I still don't believe during a game D.K is hitting 4.3's on a go route.

It's probably because of his big frame that he looks like he's not running super fast to you. 

He always looked to me like he has that speed :dunno:

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep... like people say - it's not a problem unless it's a problem. I haven't noticed it being a problem for either of them (ball security, etc.)... I guess... I wonder if teams are worried about the center-QB exchange. Most of those QBs have not taken many snaps under center. Although... Fromm actually did do it a bit in Georgia. 

It can also play into throwing accuracy some, particularly in wet weather.  But it's not anything that you can't just see whether it's a problem with your own eyes.  

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Skipping QBs since Stitches gave us the numbers on the important ones. Time for receivers 

Crazy wingspan for a shorter guy.

I know he’s a board favorite and his weigh in did not disappoint. He’s long everywhere.

Chase Claypool's weight is bothersome to me.  That's like a 6'4" running back.  He should be closer to 225.  I mean you look into WR body mass index and you start getting below 26.5 or above 28 (or maybe it's 28.5...) and you have a WR that has the odds against him as far as producing much more than than a WR 3 or 4.  I know this isn't fantasy, but it ought to give you an idea of what kind of contributor he'd end up being.  I don't remember the percentages, but it's very low (less than 10%).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's probably because of his big frame that he looks like he's not running super fast to you. 

He always looked to me like he has that speed :dunno:

It always seemed like a DB was right there with him but was able to make the catch because of the frame and wingspan.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It can also play into throwing accuracy some, particularly in wet weather.  But it's not anything that you can't just see whether it's a problem with your own eyes.  

Chase Claypool's weight is bothersome to me.  That's like a 6'4" running back.  He should be closer to 225.  I mean you look into WR body mass index and you start getting below 26.5 or above 28 (or maybe it's 28.5...) and you have a WR that has the odds against him as far as producing much more than than a WR 3 or 4.  I know this isn't fantasy, but it ought to give you an idea of what kind of contributor he'd end up being.  I don't remember the percentages, but it's very low (less than 10%).

Rumors are he's moving to TE. That's why he's gained about 10 pounds since the Senior Bowl. Teams probably suggested that to him at the Senior Bowl and it seems like he's open to it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Rumors are he's moving to TE. That's why he's gained about 10 pounds since the Senior Bowl. Teams probably suggested that to him at the Senior Bowl and it seems like he's open to it. 

Ah, that makes more sense, didn't know that.  I feel like WR to TE conversions aren't very successful.  Maybe I don't know of a successful one or its not coming to mind.  But I feel like you've got a better shot if you played basketball and tried out in the NFL as a TE than you would being a WR and becoming a TE.  Not sure why that is.  Has to be blocking, but it's not like all the successful NFL TEs with little to no collegiate football experience would pick up all the nuances of blocking playing basketball or playing wideout.  That is, they have a similar learning curve, IMO.  

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

And that’s a good move for him. I ate to categorize people based on school, but I thought if he stayed at WR he’d be EQ St. Brown. Almost identical build and playing style.

Lance Zerlein comped him to another teammate: Myles Boykin. Also in the same mold of a crazy athletic receiver with good size, but he struggled to make an impact in Baltimore (granted some of that is due to speed).

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Ah, that makes more sense, didn't know that.  I feel like WR to TE conversions aren't very successful.  Maybe I don't know of a successful one or its not coming to mind.  But I feel like you've got a better shot if you played basketball and tried out in the NFL as a TE than you would being a WR and becoming a TE.  Not sure why that is.  Has to be blocking, but it's not like all the successful NFL TEs with little to no collegiate football experience would pick up all the nuances of blocking playing basketball or playing wideout.  That is, they have a similar learning curve, IMO.  

The Oakland guy is one. Darren Waller

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twfish said:

IDK about being a possession wr, he had a ton of big plays in college. I am more concerned how he will do when the best college qb is not throwing to him. Also a team isn't going to spend a high pick on a slot WR so what will happen is he will be drafted super high and a team is going to try him out wide and he is going to bust. I will be curious how fast he runs but him being2 inches shorter than listed removes the intrigue for me.

There was a reason, before the college football playoffs, why he was ranked Rounds 2 or 3 material. I doubt that is going to change. 

3 hours ago, Shive said:

haha

Some people will just ask him to stay out of the limelight, but I am not the kind who takes offense to the swagger of these "Johnny come lately, new kid in town" guys, as long as they can walk the talk. Not everyone can be like the Dungy led Colts or Belichick led Patriots in all their buttoned up suits giving cliched speeches that amount to boring coach speak. No one ever mocks Muhammad Ali (RIP) for his brash attitude he always had, do they (maybe they do, they just know it was good entertainment now)? 

You know who Joe Burrow reminds me of, Joe Namath and a little bit of Baker Mayfield too. He will take his lumps but eventually, I feel he will walk his talk. Some entertainment in the boring part of the off season.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

True - Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Ron Howard all played basketball before becoming a successful TE at the NFL level.

The new TE, however is getting lighter, which might help usher in bigger college WRs in becoming TEs, especially those that I call big slots because they are more used to LB and safety contact in both the run and pass game, IMO. However, history so far shows us that the conversion is best done between high school and college than between college and the NFL. Larger TEs become Offensive tackles, our own Joe Reitz played basketball at Western Michigan, then was groomed as an OL by the Ravens and it took his 3rd team, the Colts for him to finally mature as an above average OT with the ability to be good at times.

Here is an interesting read that highlights it:

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-tight-end-analysis-133017842/

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True - Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Ron Howard all played basketball before becoming a successful TE at the NFL level.

The new TE, however is getting lighter, which might help usher in bigger college WRs in becoming TEs, especially those that I call big slots because they are more used to LB and safety contact in both the run and pass game, IMO. However, history so far shows us that the conversion is best done between high school and college than between college and the NFL. Larger TEs become Offensive tackles, our own Joe Reitz played basketball at Western Michigan, then was groomed as an OL by the Ravens and it took his 3rd team, the Colts for him to finally mature as an above average OT with the ability to be good at times.

Here is an interesting read that highlights it:

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-tight-end-analysis-133017842/

I always felt Opie was too short to play basketball. 

Darn auto complete, huh?

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Time for the OL

Guy is huge. Medical are what he needs to win though.

Yep... we might have inside track on info about him because of the Chris Strausser to Washington connection. 

Don’t understand why he didn’t try to drop wait. At least get to 240

That seems to be part of his selling point. He's huge and he supposedly moves like he's not huge. 

Charles is interesting, but he supposedly is a bit of a nutcase/attitude issues/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Arms a little shorter than you’d like.

I don't mind it. They actually got longer than they were at the Senior Bowl(33 5/8)

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Got a live one here folks. 86” wing span is out of this world. His stock will rise for sure.

Yeah, just wait for Alex Taylor's measurements, they are even more freaky. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

@twfish Here's 88" wingspan...

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He can definitely play tackle in the NFL.

IMO he's the best LT in the draft. I wouldn't draft any of the other LTs before him. If he's there at 13 I wouldn't even be mad if we took him with AC talking about retirement. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Alex Taylor is a big individual. Went to Darius Leonard’s school too so I wonder if the team has advanced info on him.

Might be good to sign Castonzo on a 2 year deal and get a developmental guy like Taylor or Matt Peart.

This is a loaded OT class. 

I’d be happy if Ballard chose to double up on both WR and tackle this year.

Actually skimmed down some. Was listed at 315. I like him for our scheme though.

I know 1-tech isn’t really a need but wow. Would love to look at this guy late. He’s supposed to run good too

Good height for him. Thought he’d be shorter

Might have put some weight on since the Senior Bowl.

• Like 1

Edge rushers kick off with the top guy.

That’s a good weigh in for a guy who always gets projected as a 3-4 OLB.

Last two seasons were disappointing but that length gets you excited all over again.

I think he’s going to surprise with his testing. Measureables are great though