Indianapolis Colts

Okay, I’ll be the first to say that I have been skeptical of Justin Herbert. But the more I watch, hear about him the more I really like him and would love him at 13. I think he would thrive in Reichs system.

I also think that it is possible that he will slip. Don’t ask me why but I think he will drop, kinda like Watson did. I think people are punching holes in his game and are doubting him.  

What do y’all think. 

3327EF28-3A9B-44E9-A2F9-43E429552358.jpeg

I think I would be ok with him. I would rather have love but if it’s Herbert that is ok. 

So here are my thoughts

1. Scout the player not the school. Many people won’t admit it but Mariota makes people 2nd guess Herbert. People see his failure and think Oregon QBs can’t succeed at the next level. But as a prospect, he’s far superior to Mariota who was hyped up by the media

2. There’s a lot that people are assuming he can’t do just because he wasn’t asked to. The Oregon offense doesn’t ask much of the QB. They mostly need them to run the ball and throw screens.  But as Cowherd mentioned on his show, when they took the training wheels off and asked him to deliver, he did. His arm is exceptional and maybe only second to Eason.

3. He fits the mold that Reich would want as a QB. Tall, athletic, big arm, and can make all the throws. I see some Wentz and Josh Allen in his game. 

Overall I like Love more because his touch is really special among other things, but Herbert is right there. Like him way better than Eason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So here are my thoughts

1. Scout the player not the school. Many people won’t admit it but Mariota makes people 2nd guess Herbert. People see his failure and think Oregon QBs can’t succeed at the next level. But as a prospect, he’s far superior to Mariota who was hyped up by the media

2. There’s a lot that people are assuming he can’t do just because he wasn’t asked to. The Oregon offense doesn’t ask much of the QB. They mostly need them to run the ball and throw screens.  But as Cowherd mentioned on his show, when they took the training wheels off and asked him to deliver, he did. His arm is exceptional and maybe only second to Eason.

3. He fits the mold that Reich would want as a QB. Tall, athletic, big arm, and can make all the throws. I see some Wentz and Josh Allen in his game. 

Overall I like Love more because his touch is really special among other things, but Herbert is right there. Like him way better than Eason.

The more I have thought about it he more I totally agree with your first point. It is also important to remember that Mariota was recruited by Chip Kelly to run that fast paced spread offense. Herbert was not. 

On your final point, I really see alot of Wentz in him. I also think he checks all the intangibles boxes like good character, leader, Senior starter, 2 year starter and captain. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So here are my thoughts

Regarding your number 1.....    NFL teams don’t do anything due to “media hype.”   That’s not why Tennessee drafted him.   That played no part in the decision.   Not sure why you play that card?    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding your number 1.....    NFL teams don’t do anything due to “media hype.”   That’s not why Tennessee drafted him.   That played no part in the decision.   Not sure why you play that card?    

I disagree. To a Point.  I would amend your statement to say "Good NFL Teams don't do anything due to "media hype".  The bad ones often do. They get caught up in the hype and make changes when the fan base starts showing up at the fences calling for people's heads.  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I also do disagree about media hype and how teams listen to it. But I will say that combine and workout hype is real. Teams tend to forget what a players production was on the field. 

Also, I think his pint about school bias is 100% correct. People are scared of Oregon QBs not only because of Mariota but look at their track record:

Akli Smith

Joey Harrington

Marcus Mariota

Even thigh are completely different systems and coaches the one connection is Oregon. 

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I also do disagree about media hype and how teams listen to it. But I will say that combine and workout hype is real. Teams tend to forget what a players production was on the field. 

Also, I think his pint about school bias is 100% correct. People are scared of Oregon QBs not only because of Mariota but look at their track record:

Akli Smith

Joey Harrington

Marcus Mariota

Even thigh are completely different systems and coaches the one connection is Oregon. 

Two excellent points by you...   hype on schools ...    and hype over the combine and pro days.   Teams will react to those.   On some cases wisely, and in other cases not so wisely.   

The Oregon thing is a bit misleading.  Smith, Harrington, Marriott and now Herbert.   Think we probably had 3 or maybe 4 different head coaches and  offensive systems.   So the school shouldn’t matter. 

But teams have tons more info and insight on a player.  So it, it may look like they’re reacting to media hype, but they’re not.   They have reasons why they make the pick they do.  But QB is a position with a high fail rate.  So fans think the player sucked and the reason why the team took such a terrible player is due to media hype.   

Wrong conclusion based on faulty reasoning. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I disagree. To a Point.  I would amend your statement to say "Good NFL Teams don't do anything due to "media hype".  The bad ones often do. They get caught up in the hype and make changes when the fan base starts showing up at the fences calling for people's heads.  

I think you’d be hard pressed to offer concrete examples.   With hard facts.

Now....   I’m happy to amend my comment to say the vast majority of teams don’t.   But perhaps a small number of teams have done it.   But not on a regular basis.   

Sorry...   I violated one of my own Rules.   Don’t deal in 100 percent absolutes.   That’s my mistake.   My bad. 

I will say if Herbert and Love where sitting right there i would have a hard time deciding. Loves ceiling is higher than Herberts, but Herberts floor is much higher than Loves. Is Herberts floor so much higher than Loves that it possibly negates Loves ceiling? If it came down to both players on the clock it would show a lot of what Ballard thinks of our coaching staff.

The thing with Herbert is he could probably start day 1.  Love probably need time to sit. Whether that is a year or 1/2 the year.

52 minutes ago, twfish said:

I will say if Herbert and Love where sitting right there i would have a hard time deciding. Loves ceiling is higher than Herberts, but Herberts floor is much higher than Loves. Is Herberts floor so much higher than Loves that it possibly negates Loves ceiling? If it came down to both players on the clock it would show a lot of what Ballard thinks of our coaching staff.

Here’s another good post by you.  I’m always interested in floors and ceilings.

If I was going to say something damning about Brissett this year it would be this....   I thought Reich and Sirianni coached him like he was a high floor and low ceiling QB.   They didn’t ask him to win games until the 4th quarter.  They simply asked him not to lose games for the first three quarters.    They didn’t ask him to make big plays,  but tried to make sure he didn’t make bad plays.  I was hoping it would get better over the season, but it only got worse.    

Can JB overcome that?   I have no idea? But it was a big red flag for me all season long.   

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s another good post by you.  I’m always interested in floors and ceilings.

If I was going to say something damning about Brissett this year it would be this....   I thought Reich and Sirianni coached him like he was a high floor and low ceiling QB.   They didn’t ask him to win games until the 4th quarter.  They simply asked him not to lose games for the first three quarters.    They didn’t ask him to make big plays,  but tried to make sure he didn’t make bad plays.  I was hoping it would get better over the season, but it only got worse.    

Can JB overcome that?   I have no idea? But it was a big red flag for me all season long.   

Thank you. 

It could be Jacoby regressed as the season went on and the coaching staff realized it. Once teams started stopping the run and he started to throw the ball more and that showed his shortcomings in the pass game. He really had difficulty with his deep ball per eye test, there for the defense could play closer to the line and eliminate the short game as a whole. I think Reich and co tried to play to his strengths but ultimately teams were able to figure it out and then they had trouble diversifying play calls to suite Jacoby.

I don't think Jacoby is going to overcome it. He had an entire offseason taking reps as a starter working with everyone first team. While we are to throw out Jacoby's 2017 season it was still a full season of him getting in work and learning so there is still value to that season in his training and should have helped his progression. So he's had the privilege of sitting behind Tom Brady and being coached by Bill, then he got starting experience for a whole season. Then he sat behind Luck for a year while still being a leader and gaining knowledge from him and reich and then had a full offseason and a full season. I think what we saw this year is what we get, We have seen his ceiling IMO. 

• Like 1