Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard on the fan tonight

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, Superman said:

When you weigh those two things out, there's an obvious logic to kicking it deep. I understand that if you try the onside, you at least have a chance to get the ball back. But realistically, you're just costing yourself 15-20 yards in field position if you manage to get a stop. 

The charts that are out there on this thing are kind of varied,” Reich said, via Kevin Bowen of 107.5 The Fan. “When that situation came up in the game, my first instinct was to kick it deep with all three timeouts. That was my gut instinct. The charts and the decisions, it was kind of borderline, but probably more towards kick it [deep]. Then I had discussed it with some of the guys that are on the staff what I was thinking, what the charts were showing. There was kind of universal agreement and the guys know that in those conversations I’m looking for honest opinions at that point. They know I’m not afraid to the call, whatever it’s got to be. We had a consensus. It was what I felt was the right thing to do, given the fact that we needed a touchdown and the time we were going to have. But I certainly understand [the questioning]. It really was one of those things that’s not that far off either way. That was just the decision I went with.”

I would bet he doesn't go with the decision again... Just a hunch. He admits it was borderline and the last part of his quote that it is "just the decision I went with" tells me he regrets not trying.

I understand the field position. I really do. But if the decision comes down to having even a possible hail mary attempt at the end from the 40, and JB has the arm to do it, or having the opposing team kneel on it, I would hope we would want any chance we can. 

47 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The charts that are out there on this thing are kind of varied,” Reich said, via Kevin Bowen of 107.5 The Fan. “When that situation came up in the game, my first instinct was to kick it deep with all three timeouts. That was my gut instinct. The charts and the decisions, it was kind of borderline, but probably more towards kick it [deep]. Then I had discussed it with some of the guys that are on the staff what I was thinking, what the charts were showing. There was kind of universal agreement and the guys know that in those conversations I’m looking for honest opinions at that point. They know I’m not afraid to the call, whatever it’s got to be. We had a consensus. It was what I felt was the right thing to do, given the fact that we needed a touchdown and the time we were going to have. But I certainly understand [the questioning]. It really was one of those things that’s not that far off either way. That was just the decision I went with.”

I would bet he doesn't go with the decision again... Just a hunch. He admits it was borderline and the last part of his quote that it is "just the decision I went with" tells me he regrets not trying.

I understand the field position. I really do. But if the decision comes down to having even a possible hail mary attempt at the end from the 40, and JB has the arm to do it, or having the opposing team kneel on it, I would hope we would want any chance we can. 

I don't know what the charts say, but I would think the only time you're trying something that has a 7% success rate is if you don't have any other legitimate options. I know the defense was trash on Sunday, but I think we had better than a 7% chance of getting a stop.

If we didn't have three timeouts, there's no decision to make, you try the onside. 

And I listened to Reich last night, but I didn't think he regretted his choice or was suggesting that he'd try something different. I think he sounded like he knew he had one bad choice and one awful choice. He went with the bad choice, but it's defensible, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know what the charts say, but I would think the only time you're trying something that has a 7% success rate is if you don't have any other legitimate options. I know the defense was trash on Sunday, but I think we had better than a 7% chance of getting a stop.

If we didn't have three timeouts, there's no decision to make, you try the onside. 

And I listened to Reich last night, but I didn't think he regretted his choice or was suggesting that he'd try something different. I think he sounded like he knew he had one bad choice and one awful choice. He went with the bad choice, but it's defensible, IMO. 

I don't think it's indefensible, as obviously, he defended it by saying it was a tough call and it was the decision he went with. 

I am just one that wants chances. There is a chance you get the ball back on an onside kick. Not really one when you kick it deep. I understand the 7%, but it's a small sample size (low 20's I believe last season in attempts). Regardless of the percentage, you are still making your opponent field a live football and anyone that has been on the other end of an onside kick knows it happens fast, and they are difficult to secure. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think it's indefensible, as obviously, he defended it by saying it was a tough call and it was the decision he went with. 

I am just one that wants chances. There is a chance you get the ball back on an onside kick. Not really one when you kick it deep. I understand the 7%, but it's a small sample size (low 20's I believe last season in attempts). Regardless of the percentage, you are still making your opponent field a live football and anyone that has been on the other end of an onside kick knows it happens fast, and they are difficult to secure. 

The stat I saw said 53 attempts, 4 recoveries. It is a small sample size, but even historically, onsides aren't recovered at a high rate. Especially obvious onside attempts. 

Dwz6LR3W0AIVE4C.jpg

Of course, sometimes you have to go for it, and that would have been defensible as well. I just get where Reich is coming from. Obviously, when your chosen route doesn't work, you wonder what would have happened if you had chosen a different route. But I don't think Reich made an awful decision. 

On 9/30/2019 at 6:58 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah I read that. But who do you cut when funchess comes back. Michael Crabtree was released and would be a good veteran. I certainly agree we need a veteran but funchess is coming back.

If healthy enough, I believe can return from IR on Tuesday Nov. 5th.

• Like 1