Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats Patrick Chung charged with felony cocaine possession

Lucky Colts Fan

The comment from the Pats should be a model comment for every team as well as the NFL in general.  To paraphrase what they said:

"We are aware of the charges against Mr. Chung.  The team will have no further comment on the issue as long as legal preceedings are occurring"

Such an uncomplicated and fair position.

I assume his PT and maybe ultimately roster spot will be determined by whether or not BB thinks he is devoting enough time to practice and game prep.  Perhaps his legal entanglements will either distract him from his job duties or will simply not provide him the time he normally needs to prepare. 

The common pattern of a team following and judging what those particular facts are about a players personal life, then opining upon whether or not those facts are moral or not, seem to go a step beyond fairness and beyond the duties of an employer, IMO.

• Like 1

On the surface, this looks bad. However, there's always much more that we do not know.  A tiny tidbit of that is this--

He wasn't at home, but the home burglar alarm was supposedly tripped.  Police enter (probable cause stated) the residence and while looking for burglars find some powder somehow/somewhere they want to test? Does / was said item have to be in plain sight through a window for them to enter? Or can they claim they went in and were looking for bad guys when they 'stumbled upon the contraband?

Has he ever failed any NFL drug test?  Who else has access to that home besides Chung?  Chung will get a good lawyer to challenge this and there are likely multiple other issues we have no clue about.  It's cloudy enough I doubt the NFL does anything, at least for the near future.

Another grey area, this matter seems to be under the NFL substance abuse policy and not the personal conduct policy.   If so, this is an excerpt from a connected article covering it-

"First, nothing can be done until the charges are resolved. The league can’t, and won’t, conduct its own investigation and take action independent of the criminal process.

Second, Chung can’t be suspended with pay pending resolution of the charges. It’s simply not available under the substance-abuse policy. The Commissioner-Exempt list applies only to potential Personal Conduct Policy violations involving alleged crimes of violence.

Third, Chung will be subject to NFL discipline only if he ultimately is found responsible for a drug-related offense. This requires a conviction, a guilty plea, a no-contest plea, or entry into a diversion program. If Chung fights the charges and wins exoneration, the league can do nothing."

Chung might play all 2019 while the legal battle ensues. We'll just have to let the justice system play out here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patrick-chung-will-face-no-league-punishment-likely-for-a-while/ar-AAGbAoZ

• Like 2

As far as I know he's never had a substance abuse.

Not surprised NH police would look for something other than the B&E call.

They are particularly strict.

Of course leading the nation (or were) in  opioids doesn't help. 

On 8/24/2019 at 1:22 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

On the surface, this looks bad. However, there's always much more that we do not know.  A tiny tidbit of that is this--

He wasn't at home, but the home burglar alarm was supposedly tripped.  Police enter (probable cause stated) the residence and while looking for burglars find some powder somehow/somewhere they want to test? Does / was said item have to be in plain sight through a window for them to enter? Or can they claim they went in and were looking for bad guys when they 'stumbled upon the contraband?

Has he ever failed any NFL drug test?  Who else has access to that home besides Chung?  Chung will get a good lawyer to challenge this and there are likely multiple other issues we have no clue about.  It's cloudy enough I doubt the NFL does anything, at least for the near future.

Another grey area, this matter seems to be under the NFL substance abuse policy and not the personal conduct policy.   If so, this is an excerpt from a connected article covering it-

"First, nothing can be done until the charges are resolved. The league can’t, and won’t, conduct its own investigation and take action independent of the criminal process.

Second, Chung can’t be suspended with pay pending resolution of the charges. It’s simply not available under the substance-abuse policy. The Commissioner-Exempt list applies only to potential Personal Conduct Policy violations involving alleged crimes of violence.

Third, Chung will be subject to NFL discipline only if he ultimately is found responsible for a drug-related offense. This requires a conviction, a guilty plea, a no-contest plea, or entry into a diversion program. If Chung fights the charges and wins exoneration, the league can do nothing."

Chung might play all 2019 while the legal battle ensues. We'll just have to let the justice system play out here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patrick-chung-will-face-no-league-punishment-likely-for-a-while/ar-AAGbAoZ

Similar thing happened with Damon Staudamire when he was with the trailblazers.  Neighbors called cops because his front door was wide open, and they found coke all over the place. Turned out it was one of the many members of his entourage that had a key.  Could be something like that, but not sure how he’d get indicted in those circumstances...

20 minutes ago, Archer said:

Similar thing happened with Damon Staudamire when he was with the trailblazers.  Neighbors called cops because his front door was wide open, and they found coke all over the place. Turned out it was one of the many members of his entourage that had a key.  Could be something like that, but not sure how he’d get indicted in those circumstances...

interesting, do you know how that turned out for Damon?  i did a quick search, but the articles i found were all written before the case was resolved 

I don’t think he ever got charged with anything, because he could prove he wasn’t anywhere near the house in the few days leading up to the incident...

42 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

interesting, do you know how that turned out for Damon?  i did a quick search, but the articles i found were all written before the case was resolved