Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Walker poised for breakout season?

rockywoj

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

People need to pump the breaks on Okereke replacing Walker. I just don't see it. As I have mentioned in my previous thread, Okereke is a lot like Gary Brackett. He is a smart sound player that will do his job, but nothing that wows you. Unless he learns to shed blocks and take better angles, Brackett will be his ceiling.

I agree with MOST of your concepts

But 

Okereke has measurables that are significantly higher than Brackett

Size/Weight/Speed

At this stage, Okereke is MANY miles behind what Bracket was, in his prime

The drafting of Okereke, so early means the Colts see something that isnt evident on the Stanford tape.

He had ONE good play..... then FIVE where he was getting rolled out of the play by ANYONE that blocked him. 

A Cheerleader or Gatorade kid on the sideline could block Okereke

He ALSO, would run to the WRONG spot...... on MANY plays (Maybe more than 50%)

If Okereke can get some weight room time.... he has the POTENTIAL to be special

But........  as we have seen.......  POTENTIAL.... MEANS NOTHING

The obstacles are physical strength and I would say somewhat mental

He does have Speed/Size down (And a HUGE wingspan)

In 2020, I will be HUGELY surprised if he sees the field more so than Special Teams

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Ourlads has this on their Colts depth chart linebackers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SLB99  HOUSTON, JUSTIN 

MLB50  Walker, Anthony 

WLB53   Leonard, Darius ……...…...I have read different articles on the internet where everyone of these guys get 2019 Pro Bowl mention...….IMAGINE OUR WHOLE STARTING LINBACKER CORP GOING TO Pro bowl !

If Houston moves to SAM......  I will eat my hat........  (My old one.... not my new one for Fathers day)  :)

11 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Going to be very interesting if Okereke is what our scouts believe he should overtake Walker sometime but midseason, this isnt a bad thing but a good thing. If he is lesser or takes more time and Walker needs to start longer the sky isnt falling as he is capable BUT I dont think Id single out Walker as one of the top 5 NFL breakout players this season. For that matter not sure I'd have Drake with Kalen Ballage likely to at least share if not get more carries in Miami, nor Aaron Jones (A popular breakout candidate of many though missed 4 games each season due to injury/suspension). I concur Mike Williams of Chargers could and and should become a household name and Harold Landry whom many hoped we would draft seems set to have a great year which wouldnt be great for us with Tenn likely our biggest divisional threat.   

I have not heard the scouts say he is expected to overtake walker. 

13 hours ago, Krauses said:

Don’t know why everyone thinks walker is subpar in coverage.  Rookie year when he bilked up to around 240/245 maybe because he was slowed.  But just came in at 227 and 4% bodyfat so should be back down in the 4.5 speed range and have no issue covering 

Uh, because we watched him getting beat by a step so many times.
Pretty Simple why he lost the weight you suggest, he KNEW he had to to stay on the field on 3rd down. Very wise of him.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Walker is only 23. He definetly get better. No one is against bobby but people need to pump the breaks A little.

I don't need to pump anything. Okereke has a higher ceiling. Walker is serviceable. If Okereke takes reps it's a good thing. 

I had you muted for a couple months because of your need to respond to everything.  Just changed that yesterday or day before and here we are. 

Here is when I made the change. How did it work out? Though I guess you were right, CB didn't get a corner at 26. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's ludicrous to say that Okereke "can't" take Walkers spot. I mean he was drafted to literally do just that......in the 3rd Round.

Walker, whom I do like, was a 5th Round pick. The same as E.J. Speed.....

Value wise, the front office liked Okereke's game enough to draft him 2 rounds sooner.

Virtually every player is capable of being replaced....

I THINK that you would agree that he COULD

Will he...... this year?   I personally don't think he will

Is he someone that MAY be able to contribute at a high level..... Of course

My Crystal ball is cloudy .....  I THOUGHT that we were going DL early in the draft.......   I THOUGHT that someone would offer something of value for Briskett.......

Howd that work out ?  :(

Ballard has said time and time again it doesn’t matter where you were drafted or if you were undrafted. If you earn your spot you will play. Look at the guys that got big contracts this year. DESir, glow, Moore all waiver claims. Rigo undrafted. He beat out the guy who was supposed to have the job. It doesn’t matter where you were drafted.

• Like 1

I might be in a vast minority here but I'm not that enamored with either either Walker or Okereke from their tape so far. They both seem very run of the mill.

Either can improve from where they are but I'm not that bothered about which one take snaps, or even if someone unexpected overtakes both of them.

When scouts look at tape, they obviously look at production, but apparently Ballard and his scouts are also looking for guys with measurables who flash Desirable traits. He likes Guys that are teachable. He is counting on the fact they will learn how to play for the Colts where they may not have exhibited all of those skills in college. That’s why some doubt these defensive draft picks. They don’t see the production.