Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Walker poised for breakout season?

rockywoj

From a Bucky Brooks article I read today on NFL.com ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030537/article/breakout-nfl-players-for-2019-dak-prescott-is-a-30-million-qb ).   Coming in the 5th spot, Colts’ Anthony Walker. Thoughts?

“Here are five more young players who could break out in 2019:

1) Aaron Jones, RB, Green Bay Packers: Matt LaFleur's previous experience with the Rams and Falcons should give him a greater appreciation for the running game's impact on the play of the quarterback. Jones has teased Packer backers with a robust yards-per-carry average of 5.5 in each of his first two NFL seasons (214 total carries), but he was an underutilized RB1/RB2 in the previous system. Although LaFleur has discussed using a committee approach in Green Bay, Jones' explosiveness and versatility could make him a 1,000-yard rusher and 50-catch receiver as the team's lead back.

2) Harold Landry, OLB, Tennessee Titans: The second-year pro has already opened eyes as a pass rusher with his impressive first-step quickness and body control. Landry turns the corner like a cat chasing a mouse, and his closing burst to the quarterback from the back side makes him a threat to tally 10-plus sacks as a full-time starter. Given Cameron Wake's attention-grabbing presence, Landry could emerge as a force off the edge this season.

3) Mike Williams, WR, Los Angeles Chargers: OK, Williams did score 10 touchdowns on just 43 catches last season, but the third-year pro should break out even more now that he is officially the WR2 opposite Keenan Allen. As a big-bodied pass catcher with a huge catch radius, Williams is a dominant red-zone weapon capable of winning alley-oops against any corner. Should Philip Rivers continue to trust the young pass catcher in critical moments, the Chargerscould have a pair of 1,000-yard receivers on the perimeter.

4) Kenyan Drake, RB, Miami Dolphins: Chad O'Shea brings a playbook from New England that calls for versatile running backs in the game plan. Drake is a big-bodied hybrid back with outstanding route-running and pass-catching skills. He averaged 43 catches over the past two seasons as a rotational player, but the 25-year-old could become an 80-catch guy in an offense designed to put the ball in the hands of playmakers in space. With Drake also flashing the potential to become a 1,000-yard rusher, the Dolphins could make No. 32 their feature playmaker in a retooled offense.

5) Anthony Walker, MLB, Indianapolis ColtsIt's weird to suggest a player who just eclipsed 100 tackles is under the radar, but the Colts' middle linebacker has largely been overshadowed by his All-Pro teammate, Darius Leonard. Walker's impressive instincts and awareness, as well as his high-revving motor, make him an ideal fit for Matt Eberflus' hustle-and-flow scheme. If the Colts' defense picks up where it left off a season ago, Walker could join Leonard as a household name and one of the top linebackers in football.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I like Anthony Walker as a two down player but I fear Okereke will steal snaps from him as the season wears on - especially in passing downs.

Really hope Eberflus still finds plenty of uses for Walker. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Really hope Eberflus still finds plenty of uses for Walker. 

Walker should have room to think faster and be where he needs to be at a higher level.
That said, his ability to chase in the passing game isn't likely to improve much. He wasn't quite there against the quicker ones.
He really did show us a lot as the season went on and his tackling was very good.
 I'm am sure they believe they drafted a couple guys that should be better than Walker on passing downs.
 I could see him getting snaps as the sam in his future.

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

I really like Walker but did Ballard just draft 3 linebackers

for a reason???

The reason was we had absolutely zero depth at the position. Plus they all play a different linebacker role. How much different would the Patriots game would have been if we would have had depth behind Leonard? I doubt it was to replace Walker more so to replace najee moore and franklin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

From a Bucky Brooks article I read today on NFL.com ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030537/article/breakout-nfl-players-for-2019-dak-prescott-is-a-30-million-qb ).   Coming in the 5th spot, Colts’ Anthony Walker. Thoughts?

“Here are five more young players who could break out in 2019:

1) Aaron Jones, RB, Green Bay Packers: Matt LaFleur's previous experience with the Rams and Falcons should give him a greater appreciation for the running game's impact on the play of the quarterback. Jones has teased Packer backers with a robust yards-per-carry average of 5.5 in each of his first two NFL seasons (214 total carries), but he was an underutilized RB1/RB2 in the previous system. Although LaFleur has discussed using a committee approach in Green Bay, Jones' explosiveness and versatility could make him a 1,000-yard rusher and 50-catch receiver as the team's lead back.

2) Harold Landry, OLB, Tennessee Titans: The second-year pro has already opened eyes as a pass rusher with his impressive first-step quickness and body control. Landry turns the corner like a cat chasing a mouse, and his closing burst to the quarterback from the back side makes him a threat to tally 10-plus sacks as a full-time starter. Given Cameron Wake's attention-grabbing presence, Landry could emerge as a force off the edge this season.

3) Mike Williams, WR, Los Angeles Chargers: OK, Williams did score 10 touchdowns on just 43 catches last season, but the third-year pro should break out even more now that he is officially the WR2 opposite Keenan Allen. As a big-bodied pass catcher with a huge catch radius, Williams is a dominant red-zone weapon capable of winning alley-oops against any corner. Should Philip Rivers continue to trust the young pass catcher in critical moments, the Chargerscould have a pair of 1,000-yard receivers on the perimeter.

4) Kenyan Drake, RB, Miami Dolphins: Chad O'Shea brings a playbook from New England that calls for versatile running backs in the game plan. Drake is a big-bodied hybrid back with outstanding route-running and pass-catching skills. He averaged 43 catches over the past two seasons as a rotational player, but the 25-year-old could become an 80-catch guy in an offense designed to put the ball in the hands of playmakers in space. With Drake also flashing the potential to become a 1,000-yard rusher, the Dolphins could make No. 32 their feature playmaker in a retooled offense.

5) Anthony Walker, MLB, Indianapolis ColtsIt's weird to suggest a player who just eclipsed 100 tackles is under the radar, but the Colts' middle linebacker has largely been overshadowed by his All-Pro teammate, Darius Leonard. Walker's impressive instincts and awareness, as well as his high-revving motor, make him an ideal fit for Matt Eberflus' hustle-and-flow scheme. If the Colts' defense picks up where it left off a season ago, Walker could join Leonard as a household name and one of the top linebackers in football.

If he don't improve on swing routes to the running backs thought Okereke will pass him up on the depth chart. 

We often hear of competition among the various players at a position. In truth, there is probably "coopetition" (cooperative competition - Google it) that Walker exhibits. That is a healthy form of team collaboration that makes all players better.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Walker is vastly under appreciated, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he steps up and has a very quiet pro bowl Esque season.

Unfortunately with Leonard hes going to be over looked for any accolades.   

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was listening to a interview with him on the colts daily podcast. I could listen to him for hours. He is one smart cookie. I also loved how in the interview he didn’t feel threatened with all the linebackers we drafted.

I think all players who want to win above everything should always feel this way.  If you get beat out because a guy is slightly more talented, that is a good thing because it helps the team win.  I think guys like Antonio Brown get * because they care more about their self than the team winning.  Walker knows the talent the team has, and if another guys takes some snaps from him, so be it, its for the good of the team.  You just have to keep at it and be ready for when your number is called.  The coaching staff will keep guys around that have that mindset, have the other one and start sulking because your PT is diminished and that is a quick way to get the boot.

I don't see Walker as a Sam, and I don't see him losing his starting Mike job any time soon.  He is the reason the Colts were so good against the run last year.  His ability to break down film on his own, and use that for play recognition on the field, allowed him to put the defense in the right positions last year to be as good as they were.  The guy is like having a coach on the field.  He makes everyone around him better.

The drafted linebackers will be fighting for starting jobs, but the only linebacker position i see as take-able is Sam. Not saying the other two will be useless players though.  Depth is really important.  Being able to let starter's have a breather while not lessening the talent on the field too much is a huge benefit.

But no matter who wins the starting positions, our defense definitely took a step forward in this past off-season.

• Like 1

It was my impression that the Mike LBer has to drop deep in coverage, in cover 2. Maybe that’s where they saw a need to get faster. But part of getting faster is experience and instinct, so it’s not as simple as who ran the fastest 40.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the staff utilizes the new guys. If Walker, Adams, Geathers, Wilson, etc get replaced, they will be more than adequate backups. If however, they remain starters, the rookies can develop to replace them eventually.

Either way, the Special Teams should be improved as well.

Its all about setting the bar

If you KNOW that someone can take your Million dollar job

- You lift more weight

- You study more tape

- You run more windsprints

If you are in a race...... all by yourself......  you set your pace 

If you are in a race...... with someone as good as you........ You pick up the speed

You get..... better

Will Walker be the starter?  I dont know

Will Walker be better in 2019........... I think so

Will the MLB spot be better in 2019.......... I think so

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think there's a subtle transition in our defense going on. It looks kinda like a hybrid, 4-3 under with Cover 3 along with the ability to man press (flex) when needed. Walker may not be a superstar, but still shine because of the play of others in this scheme. IOW, the sum will be greater than the parts.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Ourlads has this on their Colts depth chart linebackers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SLB99  HOUSTON, JUSTIN 

MLB50  Walker, Anthony 

WLB53   Leonard, Darius ……...…...I have read different articles on the internet where everyone of these guys get 2019 Pro Bowl mention...….IMAGINE OUR WHOLE STARTING LINBACKER CORP GOING TO Pro bowl !

People need to pump the breaks on Okereke replacing Walker. I just don't see it. As I have mentioned in my previous thread, Okereke is a lot like Gary Brackett. He is a smart sound player that will do his job, but nothing that wows you. Unless he learns to shed blocks and take better angles, Brackett will be his ceiling.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

People need to pump the breaks on Okereke replacing Walker. I just don't see it. As I have mentioned in my previous thread, Okereke is a lot like Gary Brackett. He is a smart sound player that will do his job, but nothing that wows you. Unless he learns to shed blocks and take better angles, Brackett will be his ceiling.

That sounds just like Walker, but to get there he needs to improve in coverage we were abused by TEs and RBs in the pass game last season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

That sounds just like Walker, but to get there he needs to improve in coverage we were abused by TEs and RBs in the pass game last season.

You dont make 100 tackles by getting washed out of the play.

Walker is indeed very underappreciated. He was injured off and on all of 2017 and even to start 2018. He was in a first year defense due to Eberflus coming in and changing things. So more or less, he was in the same position as the rookies to start 2018, but hobbled through preseason.  

Even with all that, he was second on the team in tackles. He'll be better in year 2 of the D. Things will slow down even more for him, and the upgrades around him will help. His tackle/snap ration was very good. 

And like was said above, folks thinking Okereke will jump in and win MLB need to pump the brakes. Not going to happen. Okereke might come in on obvious passing downs, but that's about it. Walker is much better vs the run than Okereke, and is "less bad" against the pass, than Okereke is "less bad" bad against the run. All of Okereke's time in OTAs and minicamp have been spent at WILL anyway with Leonard out. We needed a serious depth upgrade at LB in general, and that's what the draft was about.

Walker should have a very nice year.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, ProblChld32 said:

Walker is vastly under appreciated, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he steps up and has a very quiet pro bowl Esque season.

Drafting 2.5 linebackers in the draft should get any veteran linebacker

enough motivation to pick it up a notch.

• Like 1

Don’t know why everyone thinks walker is subpar in coverage.  Rookie year when he bilked up to around 240/245 maybe because he was slowed.  But just came in at 227 and 4% bodyfat so should be back down in the 4.5 speed range and have no issue covering 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Krauses said:

Don’t know why everyone thinks walker is subpar in coverage.  Rookie year when he bilked up to around 240/245 maybe because he was slowed.  But just came in at 227 and 4% bodyfat so should be back down in the 4.5 speed range and have no issue covering 

The underneath coverage over the middle was awful. In your mind, who or what was to blame?  Being in nickel so much it comes down to Moore, Leonard, Walker and sometimes the SS. 

People are so against Okereke taking snaps. If he does that's a very good thing. Walker has a low ceiling. We know what he is. Okereke could be elite based on traits. 

On 5/14/2019 at 6:29 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Its all about setting the bar

If you KNOW that someone can take your Million dollar job

- You lift more weight

- You study more tape

- You run more windsprints

If you are in a race...... all by yourself......  you set your pace 

If you are in a race...... with someone as good as you........ You pick up the speed

You get..... better

Will Walker be the starter?  I dont know

Will Walker be better in 2019........... I think so

Will the MLB spot be better in 2019.......... I think so

Exactly, I know Pagano used the term but iron literally does sharpen iron, so does one man sharpen another. Either you rise to the challenge or get left by the wayside.  Competition makes everyone better. 

18 minutes ago, wig said:

The underneath coverage over the middle was awful. In your mind, who or what was to blame?  Being in nickel so much it comes down to Moore, Leonard, Walker and sometimes the SS. 

People are so against Okereke taking snaps. If he does that's a very good thing. Walker has a low ceiling. We know what he is. Okereke could be elite based on traits. 

Walker is only 23. He definetly get better. No one is against bobby but people need to pump the breaks A little.

It's ludicrous to say that Okereke "can't" take Walkers spot. I mean he was drafted to literally do just that......in the 3rd Round.

Walker, whom I do like, was a 5th Round pick. The same as E.J. Speed.....

Value wise, the front office liked Okereke's game enough to draft him 2 rounds sooner.

Virtually every player is capable of being replaced....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It's ludicrous to say that Okereke "can't" take Walkers spot. I mean he was drafted to literally do just that......in the 3rd Round.

Walker, whom I do like, was a 5th Round pick. The same as E.J. Speed.....

Value wise, the front office liked Okereke's game enough to draft him 2 rounds sooner.

Virtually every player is capable of being replaced....

Not so sure he was drafted to replace him completely as much as to just replace him on obvious pass plays and to provide depth.  We saw what happened when Walker was out for a game.  We need depth and Ok should be able to fill in adequately.

Everyone can speculate all they want, but we'll be able to tell more in camp.  Ok could completely ball out or be a total disapointment for all we know.

Going to be very interesting if Okereke is what our scouts believe he should overtake Walker sometime but midseason, this isnt a bad thing but a good thing. If he is lesser or takes more time and Walker needs to start longer the sky isnt falling as he is capable BUT I dont think Id single out Walker as one of the top 5 NFL breakout players this season. For that matter not sure I'd have Drake with Kalen Ballage likely to at least share if not get more carries in Miami, nor Aaron Jones (A popular breakout candidate of many though missed 4 games each season due to injury/suspension). I concur Mike Williams of Chargers could and and should become a household name and Harold Landry whom many hoped we would draft seems set to have a great year which wouldnt be great for us with Tenn likely our biggest divisional threat.