Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Value Pick @ 26

On 4/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, WarGhost21 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but late First Round WRs rarely pan out either. Here's a list 20 of the top WRs in the NFL and where they were drafted, based on The Draft Networks list, https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/the-top-20-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl:

Deandre Hopkins - Round 1, Pick 27

Julio Jones - Round 1, Pick 6

Michael Thomas - Round 2, Pick 47

Antonio Brown - Round 6, Pick 195

Adam Thielen - Undrafted

Odell Beckham Jr - Round 1, Pick 12

Tyreek Hill - Round 5, Pick 165

Mike Evans - Round 1, Pick 7

Juju Smith-Schuster - Round 2, Pick 62

Davante Adams - Round 2, Pick 53

Keenan Allen - Round 3, Pick 76

Stefon Diggs - Round 5, Pick 146

AJ Green - Round 1, Pick 4

TY Hilton - Round 3, Pick 92

Brandin Cooks - Round 1, Pick 20

Robert Woods - Round 2, Pick 41

Amari Cooper - Round 1, Pick 4

Kenny Golladay - Round 3, Pick 96

Tyler Lockett - Round 3, Pick 69

Emanuel Sanders - Round 3, Pick 82

I would take any of the bolded at their draft position.....  Those 6 guys kinda take the wind out of this argument

20 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Conflicting reports on that to say the least. I'm sure Bill Walsh told his boss Jerry Rice ran a 4.5. 

There is no report showing Rice ran a 4.7, it's a myth.  here is a quote from Brandt

“We timed Jerry in the 40 nine times,” said former Dallas Cowboys general manager Gil Brandt, “and he never got under 4.55.”

Now, one could say, 4.7 is not under a 4.55.  But there is a reason Brandt picked 4.55, if he was a 4.7 guy he would have picked 4.65 or some other number, you know, closer to 4.7

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

I would take any of the bolded at their draft position.....  Those 6 guys kinda take the wind out of this argument

It seems you misunderstand what I’m saying. These players were all drafted later in the draft. I’m arguing that talent can be found later in the draft, that we shouldn’t waste our first round pick on a WR. If you mean something else, please let me know, but I really don’t understand what you mean by it taking the wind out of my argument

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:43 AM, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO........ 2 cents from Deano

First off..... you may ultimately be right...... Draft science is not EXACT

But.....

If Jeffery Simmons is sitting there.... he is a 3 down player, a difference maker, and possible Pro Bowl player

Dexter Lawrence is a monster....... he takes the double team, (and still gets TFL) The REST of the DL, gets one-on-ones..........  Give him a rotation, and he will be an AWESOME pickup

I would LOVE Simmons at 26, Lawrence at 34....  (But if Abram is sitting there at 34, the staff would probably go that way)

MOST WRs take 1 to 2 years to develop (Reggie Wayne is a PERFECT example)

Jeffery Simmons needs a year as well (For a different reason, of course)

There will be at least one or two excellent WRs still on the board at 59

KNeal..... MIGHT still be there......

Isabella will PROBABLY be there

Boyken will PROBABLY be there

Butler is sliding, and will PROBABLY be there (16% Drops????)

K'neal is talented, but the guy did not get separation from college DBs.  That concerns me.

I think at 26, Kneal is 20 spots earlier than what he is going to be drafted at which isnt a value to me

Again.... 2 cents

Some wrs hit the ground running like Calvin Ridley,Randy moss, Odell Beckham, Keenan Allen. Even marvin Harrison and hilton did decent their rookie years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Now, one could say, 4.7 is not under a 4.55.  But there is a reason Brandt picked 4.55, if he was a 4.7 guy he would have picked 4.65 or some other number, you know, closer to 4.7

Sounds like he picked 4.55 because that's the best time of the nine times. What was the worst of the nine? 

26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Some wrs hit the ground running like Calvin Ridley,Randy moss, Odell Beckham, Keenan Allen. Even marvin Harrison and hilton did decent their rookie years.

Harrison and TY had 800+ yards their first years. That's rock star rookie territory. Wayne was slow played (probably too slow) because we had Marvin, but he still had a good rookie year. 2001 for Peyton reminded me of Luck's year in 2018. Way too many WRs in the mix and musical chair starters. Lots of passing yards, but worked way too hard to get them across way too many WRs.