Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Draft scenario, would this make you happy if it happened?

We are heading into the 2019 draft with 9 draft picks (including two 2nd rounders and two 4th rounders). We aren't as stacked as last year, and have lower picks in each round (besides the Jets 2nd round pick). However, based on last year's class, a possible solid class is still comparable. We have to take away two picks. Nelson is one, as we have nowhere close to the 6th overall pick, and the other would be Turay, as we have an early and late 2nd rounder but no mid 2nd. That gives us the most identical look at what our draft has the potential to be based on last years class with Ballard as GM. That leaves Leonard, Braden Smith, Lewis, Hines, Fountain, Wilkins, Cain, Adams, Franklin as a realistic type draft class based on last years example and our current picks. You can mix and match the players and positions you want to your liking. If our 2019 draft class turned out to be this good after their first year (without Nelson and Turay, remember that), would you be happy? Let me know in the comments below.

• Like 1

The way I see at is Leonard and Smith are real starters from that list.  It took Smith awhile to crack the lineup.  Lewis is a partial starter the rest are depth players.  I guess I would be okay with that result.  But if you listen to Ballard he said after the elite 14 players he sees, the talent grade wise, is pretty similar through round three.  If he is starting with 9 picks I am hoping he tries to acquire more picks in those rounds or moves up in the 1st to get one of his elite players.  maybe he can accomplish both.  I am okay with going from 9 to 7 picks if we can push those picks up the ladder so to speak.  It sounds like that is where the sweet spot is.  

• Like 1

To me this is not the draft that the colts need to pick up an immediate starter. This is the draft to fill out the team with great talent in the 2nd 3rd and 4th string players.  You stay put where you are at with your first three picks and use your 5th 6th and 7th rounder to get back into the second and third rounds. 

Grab some Dlinemen receivers and some safeties and let them compete. If we are cutting 4th round picks that means the entire team's talent level is rising and that's excellent. This is the type of draft you can start a dynasty with if you play your cards right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

To me this is not the draft that the colts need to pick up an immediate starter. This is the draft to fill out the team with great talent in the 2nd 3rd and 4th string players.  You stay put where you are at with your first three picks and use your 5th 6th and 7th rounder to get back into the second and third rounds. 

Grab some Dlinemen receivers and some safeties and let them compete. If we are cutting 4th round picks that means the entire team's talent level is rising and that's excellent. This is the type of draft you can start a dynasty with if you play your cards right.

I dont know, you may end up being right, but

I think even at 26 and possibly 34, a reasonable expectation is that they will start

If Wilkins or Tillary were to go 26, he would probably start

If Chauncy Gardener or Abram were to go 34, he would probably start

You make a great point, we may cut some higher, previous draft picks to make room for better newbies

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We are heading into the 2019 draft with 9 draft picks (including two 2nd rounders and two 4th rounders). We aren't as stacked as last year, and have lower picks in each round (besides the Jets 2nd round pick). However, based on last year's class, a possible solid class is still comparable. We have to take away two picks. Nelson is one, as we have nowhere close to the 6th overall pick, and the other would be Turay, as we have an early and late 2nd rounder but no mid 2nd. That gives us the most identical look at what our draft has the potential to be based on last years class with Ballard as GM. That leaves Leonard, Braden Smith, Lewis, Hines, Fountain, Wilkins, Cain, Adams, Franklin as a realistic type draft class based on last years example and our current picks. You can mix and match the players and positions you want to your liking. If our 2019 draft class turned out to be this good after their first year (without Nelson and Turay, remember that), would you be happy? Let me know in the comments below.

I'd absolutely be happy with a draft that provides solid upgrades along with a surprise such as Leonard. :thmup:

BUT... I do think we should consider two of the assets we have to work with going into this draft and MAYBE accomplish a splash close to last year's.

The #34 pick acquired in the trade back with the Jets... and Jacoby Brissett as a package along with our #26 pick would theoretically get us in Top 10 range....and we'd still retain the 2-7 round picks we have based on our regular draft position.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ind

The #34 pick was part of Ballard's 2018 home run draft, and a part that I believe should be capitalized upon for a trade-up to get a true "difference maker" we can enjoy on a rookie contract.

Finding a trade partner, of course, is the key to it all.

But if one of the Top 5-10 teams is looking to trade down and has interest in Brissett as an affordably-priced starter/bridge QB in a mediocre QB draft year.... and in the process Ballard nets us a Devin White at MLB or one of the top EDGE prospects.... then he will have done it again and he's a Jedi master among GMs.

We've all been looking at these mocks and film evaluation.... and while a nice player can be had at #34.... it looks like the "difference makers", as Ballard would put it.... vanish after about pick #15.

I don't expect this to happen.... but I don't think this theory is implausible, either. With Brissett almost certain to be gone a year from now... and the Jets #34 in our pocket.... why not try? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What a great way of looking at it!  And yes I would be happy with that haul

• Thanks 1

Draft year three is about filling in the cracks from past draft/free agent failures. With picks 26, 34, and 59 I believe we'll draft 3 players that will be starters and/or immediate contributors - likely a DT, SS, and WR. The 3rd and 2 4th rounders will fill out depth positions likely at CB, OL, and DE. 

The 5th, 6th and 7th will be flyers on athletes with special, but unrefined traits. Like a RB or WR with dynamic return skills. Or a DE/OLB with unrefined pass rush skills but has a quick first step and speed. Probably a developmental QB as well.

• Like 4

On 4/13/2019 at 10:37 AM, Surge89 said:

This is kind of an oxymoron. I agree this is the draft to start stacking the roster with depth, even as we still have a few major needs that will be addressed. However, you can't fill out the team if you are trading your last 3 picks to move up. To me, that's what teams looking for starting caliber players or teams that reach for need do. We found very quality depth in rounds 6 and 7 last year, Jordan Wilkins in the 5th. Ballard, if anything, will keep acquiring picks for more chances to land a pick, regardless of position.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:45 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

This is kind of an oxymoron. I agree this is the draft to start stacking the roster with depth, even as we still have a few major needs that will be addressed. However, you can't fill out the team if you are trading your last 3 picks to move up. To me, that's what teams looking for starting caliber players or teams that reach for need do. We found very quality depth in rounds 6 and 7 last year, Jordan Wilkins in the 5th. Ballard, if anything, will keep acquiring picks for more chances to land a pick, regardless of position.

You are mistakingly treating all drafts the same. This draft has a lot of really good talent in the second and third rounds why not take advantage of the strength of the draft?  Last year the talent was much more normal and spread out which is the reason we came away with good finds. Every draft is different. 

Either way it's unrealistic to say he's going to trade all 3 latter picks to get back into the 2nd and 3rd round.  But it wouldn't surprise me if our first became an additional second and third or our fourth became an additional third in some capacity. 

No matter what we should have a good haul.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, Surge89 said:

You are mistakingly treating all drafts the same. This draft has a lot of really good talent in the second and third rounds why not take advantage of the strength of the draft?  Last year the talent was much more normal and spread out which is the reason we came away with good finds. Every draft is different. 

I am treating all drafts the same, but not mistakenly. I believe (and i believe that Ballard believes) that you can find quality players in all rounds and turns of the draft, and afterwards with undrafted players. I believe that if you truly want to fill a team out, you don't trade away picks, you look to acquire them. 

On 4/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, Surge89 said:

it wouldn't surprise me if our first became an additional second and third or our fourth became an additional third in some capacity. 

Now here you are speaking my language... I'm fine with moving in the draft. But only if we are acquiring more, not less, picks at key positions in the draft where the scouting team feels good about based on their board. To go back to the original point of discussion which is building depth and filling this roster out, I fully believe it will mostly be with drafted players. Those mid to late round guys are the guys you want on special teams and filling this roster out...

I think if Ballard can find those guys who checks his list we will be fine.

Ballard has already shown he pays no attention to outside noise such as fandom, so called draft gurus and media.

The problem we face are no different than what every team in the NFL faces.

Finding trench players.

Finding the combination of receivers and TEs

Keeping a lid on the cap

We have the QB so that is already a advantage over the majority of teams.

So let's roll.

• Like 1

Assuming CB wont trade up / down:

1st: Lawrence / Wilkins

2nd:  Abram / C Gardner-Johnson / Rapp / Darnell Savage Jr.

2 2nd:  Deebo Samuel / Andy Isabella / J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

3rd:  Benny Snell Jr. / Bryce Love

OR  depending who falls:

1st: Lawrence / Wilkins

2nd:  A.J Brown / Kelvin Harmon / Marquise Brown

2 2nd:  Abram / Rapp / Darnell Savage Jr. / Hooker

3rd:  Tytus Howard / David Edwards

Would love the haul and fills needs.  

Joseph

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, pacolts56 said:

I'd absolutely be happy with a draft that provides solid upgrades along with a surprise such as Leonard. :thmup:

BUT... I do think we should consider two of the assets we have to work with going into this draft and MAYBE accomplish a splash close to last year's.

The #34 pick acquired in the trade back with the Jets... and Jacoby Brissett as a package along with our #26 pick would theoretically get us in Top 10 range....and we'd still retain the 2-7 round picks we have based on our regular draft position.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ind

The #34 pick was part of Ballard's 2018 home run draft, and a part that I believe should be capitalized upon for a trade-up to get a true "difference maker" we can enjoy on a rookie contract.

Finding a trade partner, of course, is the key to it all.

But if one of the Top 5-10 teams is looking to trade down and has interest in Brissett as an affordably-priced starter/bridge QB in a mediocre QB draft year.... and in the process Ballard nets us a Devin White at MLB or one of the top EDGE prospects.... then he will have done it again and he's a Jedi master among GMs.

We've all been looking at these mocks and film evaluation.... and while a nice player can be had at #34.... it looks like the "difference makers", as Ballard would put it.... vanish after about pick #15.

I don't expect this to happen.... but I don't think this theory is implausible, either. With Brissett almost certain to be gone a year from now... and the Jets #34 in our pocket.... why not try? 

move in to the top 10 and draft Devin White, yes please

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know, you may end up being right, but

I think even at 26 and possibly 34, a reasonable expectation is that they will start

If Wilkins or Tillary were to go 26, he would probably start

If Chauncy Gardener or Abram were to go 34, he would probably start

You make a great point, we may cut some higher, previous draft picks to make room for better newbies

As always you comments are well thought out.

I'm not too sure about finding drafted players as immediate starters but with training camp and 4 pre season games we never know.

Other than a DL or a pass rusher (at any position) unseating the present starters may have to wait over the coarse of the season.

It would be sweet to have the depth where the talent level don't drop drastically like in the past.