Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we extend Hilton,

I think we see what he does this season and pay accordingly. When the wheels come off TY, its gonna look ugly. When that time will be is the question. He will be 32 near the start of his next contract, I am not sure 4 years at that price is wise. I am almost in the camp of play out the contract and then move on while the iron is still hot. Maybe a 3 year extension you can get away from with little to no cap hit after 2. IDK 

35 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I think we see what he does this season and pay accordingly. When the wheels come off TY, its gonna look ugly. When that time will be is the question. He will be 32 near the start of his next contract, I am not sure 4 years at that price is wise. I am almost in the camp of play out the contract and then move on while the iron is still hot. Maybe a 3 year extension you can get away from with little to no cap hit after 2. IDK 

I don’t see us moving on from Hilton until he starts playing like Reggie did his last year. He means too much to this franchise, I just hope TY doesn’t chase the money if we don’t offer him the number he wants 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I don’t see us moving on from Hilton until he starts playing like Reggie did his last year. He means too much to this franchise, I just hope TY doesn’t chase the money if we don’t offer him the number he wants 

Let's wait to see what shape his body is in AFTER 2 more seasons. lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

You are probably correct. What I hope will happen is both sides can reach an agreement that we will give you a fair deal but we aren’t going to cap strap the team for more years than needed if your wheels fall off. If CB can relay that message in a way that isn’t offensive to the player, they can more than likely get something fair done. The player makes market money but the team has an out for a following season if the player shows decline not equal to the market rated contract. I’d love to see TY retire a Colt but it’s got to be about team first, not nostalgic player preference. 

52 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Who cares what his #'s are to keep him? That's what the payroll is for, to pay your players, in this case your Best players what they are worth to the team. 

I think fans  pay way too much attentionon on a players salary. 

i agree somewhat, but hes already signed for two more years.  by that time he will be near the age that WRs usually start falling off but are not necessarily done

i dont think he will be looking to jump ship somewhere for a little more money either, hes a family guy and chose to stay close to home in college rather than going to the biggest school that was interested 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jdubu said:

When do the "wheels come off?" No way of knowing. If we try and time it and let him go and he produces for another team for 4 more seasons, CB will never hear the end of it. He's a pillar to this franchise, and I think he will continue to produce well after he slows down a bit. With the proper receiving core in Frank's system, he will always create headaches for defenses. 

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i agree somewhat, but hes already signed for two more years.  by that time he will be near the age that WRs usually start falling off but are not necessarily done

i dont think he will be looking to jump ship somewhere for a little more money either, hes a family guy and chose to stay close to home in college rather than going to the biggest school that was interested 

That's true. If he's not asking to be extended it doesn't need to be done 2 years ahead of time. 

My answer was actually more in general than TY and some fans obsessed with how much a player makes.

As far as if/when TY loses a step or two, I think even though his game is speed and he's smallish physique, he would still be a very good receiver IMO. 

• Like 1

TY has one more year left on his contract.    His age 30 season.

Due for a new contract in 2020 at age 31.     That's an interesting age for WR's, and don't think that Ballard doesn't know that.

Next year,  his last year, Hilton is due to get $14.5 Mill.

The reason to extend now is to try and get him to lower his contract number,  entice him with the extension and some guaranteed money up front.

So, maybe we offer to tear up the last year, and give him a new 3-year deal for, say, $40 Mill.   

3 years at $12 Mill each.    A $4 Mill signing bonus for $40 total.   As to how much guaranteed....

The $4Mill SB, of course.

The $12 Mill 2020 season salary.

And $4 Mill of his 2021 ($12 Mill) salary.

That's $20 Mill guaranteed.   

I think that would be a win-win for both sides.

Just thinking out loud....

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

He’s only signed for one more year. He is a free agent next offseason. 

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Who cares what his #'s are to keep him? That's what the payroll is for, to pay your players, in this case your Best players what they are worth to the team. 

I think fans  pay way too much attentionon on a players salary. 

Maybe and maybe not. If we have guys we start to pay and we then have to decide on paying TY a third contract with big numbers or having to let a break out Star his second contract that’s gonna be big money, CB at some point has to make choices on who he can or can’t keep. That’s how the world of capology has worked. Do you take a chance of keeping TY for 3 more years while he reaches 35-36 or lose your younger star who is at his 2nd contract? I’m going to go with the odds and take the younger guy and know I’ve built in TY’s replacement into my working 2-4 year team attrition plan. That’s what great GM’s do and they do it without cap killing your team during transitions to new players. 

This is why I think the Colts should be double-dipping at WR in this draft class...need to be developing the next group of WRs...which this team has never been able to do. 

Even if they retain Hilton...it shouldn't be at a WR1 role (or money) for very long. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Hilton is a HOFer in my eyes. Hes a colt as long as he wants to be one.

He may be close but he is certainly not a slam dunk to the HOF. There are a lot of really talented players in his playing years that’s gonna push him. Depends on what year he goes out I suspect. How many all-pro selections has he had and how many pro bowls has he been selected to without others dropping out allowing him to play? I honestly don’t know those numbers but assume someone who is diehard into these things know. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

He may be close but he is certainly not a slam dunk to the HOF. There are a lot of really talented players in his playing years that’s gonna push him. Depends on what year he goes out I suspect. How many all-pro selections has he had and how many pro bowls has he been selected to without others dropping out allowing him to play? I honestly don’t know those numbers but assume someone who is diehard into these things know. 

4 time pro bowler. Not sure hes ever been all-pro, but I think he has the 3rd most yards since 2012 and only behind desean jackson for most 50+ yard tds since 2012

• Like 1