Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you guys think about Preston Smith?

I was just scrolling through DE/OLB FA Candidates and I wondered if anyone had thoughts of him being a fit in our defense.  He's 6'6" 270 which may be a little heavy, not sure.  Sheard is 6'2" and 250.  He played really solid for the Redskins, but perhaps he's a reasonably priced candidate for us.  Probably around 4 years 11 million per is his going rate.  He's 26 so the age is right.  Thoughts?  

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I was just scrolling through DE/OLB FA Candidates and I wondered if anyone had thoughts of him being a fit in our defense.  He's 6'6" 270 which may be a little heavy, not sure.  Sheard is 6'2" and 250.  He played really solid for the Redskins, but perhaps he's a reasonably priced candidate for us.  Probably around 4 years 11 million per is his going rate.  He's 26 so the age is right.  Thoughts?  

$11 M per year is a pretty good estimate.  Spotrac has his market value at $11.1 M.  I think it depends on how he would work as a 4-3 DE.  Shaq Barrett is the same age and would be around $ 7.5 M per year and is 6'1" 250 lb.  Smith has had more sacks over the last 4 seasons (24.5 to Barrett's 14) but only had one more sack than Barrett this year (4 to Barrett's 3).  Barrett also did not start any games this year and played 13 games while Smith started all 16 games.  It really depends on how Ballard's see each of them as a 4-3 DE.  Barrett is probably better suited as a 4-3 OLB, but is very close to Sheard's size so might be able to play DE. 

I love the potential of signing him. I had him in my mock off-season.

He's still young and has been improving each and every year + IMO he still has untapped potential. He's very athletic and IMO his athleticism will be unlocked even more in our scheme where pass-rushers are just told to go and be aggressive after the QB. 

And his tackle total was solid compared to other available DE's suggesting he's reliable against the run.  Shaq Barrett to me isn't reliable and has underachieved since the start.  I have a feeling he's "on the board" this offseason for possible FA targets.  Between affordability, age, solid 4 years and improving (though his 4 sacks this year were disappointing) I think there's a good chance he's part of our plans to talk to and assess further.  The overall FA market is so damn weak this year, especially in key areas for the Colts that there's not a lot of options to even consider which seem ideally suited, even at the end of a costly price tag.  We have the money, but do we have the candidates that can actually help us? Most of the really top pass rushers will be Franchise Tagged.  I doubt we'll see either of the two Steelers coming here because our GM says he doesn't role that way.  I think Preston may be one of our best candidates to sign.