Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Diego (+4) at New England (1-13-19)

oldunclemark

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, esmort said:

ASAP was Chargers motto ... NE doesn't live up to that motto they play worse away from Gillette (especially without that first round bye).

"was" there motto is right but after yesterday when the Pats walked up to there front porch and lifted right in front of their eyes.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:48 PM, James said:

Tom Brady is the GOAT if he wins his 6th Super Bowl this year.

Will never see anyone dominate like him again.

It has reached the plateau of impossible when it comes to duplicating the records the Pats are building and of course Brady's numbers. When will it end? Who knows.  We wait and watch to see if Hoody will retire after Brady leaves if he ever does. It has been amazing how no name players come in every year and nothing seems to change while other teams have super stars only to lose to the Pats. 

5 hours ago, JimJaime said:

The Chargers are a good team.. they just ran into a very very angry Patriots team that’s been hearing how bad they are and that they would get crushed by the Chargers.

only thing I found odd was the lack of in game adjustments by the Chargers. I am pretty sure the Pats could have dropped 60 on them if they had decided to keep pressing.   

This year 3/4 of the season we did pretty darn well against the injury bug but the 4th quarter it hit us pretty hard.  

We started the year light on LBs, and then lost our best.  So there weren't really any major adjustments we could make.  The 7 swarming DBs were to cover for that lack - worked on Baltimore, wasn't ever going to work on NE because they have an experienced coach and a QB that can make the adjustment on the field and just killed us with the dink and dunk passes and an occasional pass downfield that made us play honest.  

Defensive key injuries(all starters):

11/21  Placed Corey Liuget (DT) on Reserve/Injured

11/13  Placed Denzel Perryman (LB) on Reserve/Injured. (THIS REALLY HURT)

11/03  Placed Kyzir White (LB) on Reserve/Injured.

9/15  Placed Craig Mager (CB) on Reserve/Injured.

LOST Jason Verett in camp (CB)

Our O-line degraded at the end of the season.  Joe Barksdale was cut for unrevealed issues.  Our Center Pouncey had constant injury issues from about week 14 on.  Our blocking TE Culkin the same.  Both running backs were out over the same period.  We couldn't adjust much on Offense because we couldn't get our running game going to make NE play honest.  Rivers was getting killed back there.  

Tom Telesco signed 4 or 5 UDFAs each of the past 2 years, many of whom are starting.  That increase in depth is what let us complete this year.  The only area he "failed" significantly is in O Line draft picks.  Forest Lamp didn't play much if any this second year.  His first, first round draft pick was D.J. Fluker and he was a bust.  We had 2 centers drafted that are no longer with us.  Tom has mostly been a draft genius, but O Line not so much.  MUST protect Rivers.  With a young hungry team, and him at the helm we have a 3 year window barring any injuries.  (Rivers was hurt Sunday, don't know how much, but OLine failure was the reason).

Oh well.... It was a very fun year right up until the end.  

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

I think it was a bit of a perfect storm here. Chargers had to play on the East Coast twice in two weeks while the Patriots had the bye. The weather also couldn't have helped. No matter what anyone says, I have a hard time believing that playing and practicing in the cold every day isn't an advantage for the cold-weather-climate team. (Much like the teams based in the South have an advantage early on in the season.)

Agreed.  If I were Coach Lynn, I would make arrangements with a hotel & a northern college (outside the North East) but in the cold belt, to practice the weeks of the playoffs if needed.  Have a plan in place that can be canceled if not needed.  The breathing alone in cold is enough to disrupt every other part of your body.

The last time that the Patriots played the Chargers in San Diego in a heat wave, Belicheck kept the team in Cali for the week to adjust.

We were getting beat up the final 4 weeks - a bye week would have meant a lot.  I trust that Coach Lynn is learning for future runs.  He's a very good coach. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Its about consistency he has 1 year of play and if he is terrible next year then what? I dont think he will be but unless you can see the future you dont know either 

Yes sure, of course... time will ultimately tell. 

I just don't think you can categorize him as a "flash in the pan" type of player, like an RGIII-type. QBs don't have 50-touchdown seasons because they got lucky you know? 

23 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Agreed.  If I were Coach Lynn, I would make arrangements with a hotel & a northern college (outside the North East) but in the cold belt, to practice the weeks of the playoffs if needed.  Have a plan in place that can be canceled if not needed.  The breathing alone in cold is enough to disrupt every other part of your body.

The last time that the Patriots played the Chargers in San Diego in a heat wave, Belicheck kept the team in Cali for the week to adjust.

We were getting beat up the final 4 weeks - a bye week would have meant a lot.  I trust that Coach Lynn is learning for future runs.  He's a very good coach. 

Some good young talent on that team, and I like Coach Lynn. I think you've got plenty to be excited about with the future.