Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Waiting For The Word...

Busta

Might as well cut the high priced kicker as well. No point in paying someone that much to kick when we could have a new young talent.

2012 Base Salary 2,700,000 Signing Bonus 1,200,000

http://www.spotrac.c...adam-vinatieri/

I am going to say right off the bat I could be wrong but I think Adam is a guy who makes sense to keep. We are going to need a good kicker and while he's expensive for a kicker he's not expensive over all. I don't think Adam is going to make or break the cap but I could be wrong.

I think he would at least have trade value. Look how many kickers were franchised this year! Come time for the season he will be moved to a team that has a kicker injury or a need that is in the playoff hunt. We probably could get a 4th rounder for him.

Is this Vinny's last year? I see no harm in keeping him one more year, especially since his total salary is less than $4 mil

Yes its his last year.. But in a rebuild mode might as well trim the fat. Just like Freeney right?

I think he would at least have trade value. Look how many kickers were franchised this year! Come time for the season he will be moved to a team that has a kicker injury or a need that is in the playoff hunt. We probably could get a 4th rounder for him.

Kickers normally don't get drafted till the later rounds no way someone is going to give you a 4th rounder for a guy who is at the end of his career. Kickers get tagged because they are cheap by NFL standards.

Yes its his last year.. But in a rebuild mode might as well trim the fat. Just like Freeney right?

Freeney frees up something like 14 million. Adam frees up less than four if you don't see the difference there I don't know what to tell ya. WIth that said the Colts could cut him I just don't think it's likely.

No real reason to keep him.

We don't have a kicker if we cut him and it makes another hole if we cut him so yes there is a reason to keep him unless the Colts really want the extra four million or whatever would be saved from cutting him (and I don't think it would be four million because of his bonus's) and then by the time you add a new kicker on top of it you aren't saving very much to make it worth it.

If your going to cut the whole team you might as well cut the kicker and draft a young person with a big leg.. or heck even have our punter do kicks.

The problem with that is wearing out his leg. You have McAfee punting and booming kickoffs, then you're going to make him do all the FGs on top of that. That will wear out his leg quickly

he's been overpaid in my opinion and not all that clutch....

Go back and watch and the Ravens playoff game in 2006 and then Stover's miss in the 2009 Super Bowl or any of Vandy's shank's and come back and say that. Adam has been here since 2006 he has missed what one clutch kick during that time? 2007 vs. the Chargers in game that had some much strange stuff happen it was almost fitting he missed. It's true what people say people don't understand how valuable a clutch kicker is till you don't hae one.

But the most clutch kicker of all time! You don't think Baltimore wouldn't have wanted him for a 4th rounder....and that is a late draft pick.

No it's not. It's a middle round draft pick. 6th and 7th rounders are late picks. Players at skill poistions go for fourth round picks. No team is going to give you a fourth rounder for a kicker who is at the end of his career.

No it's not. It's a middle round draft pick. 6th and 7th rounders are late picks. Players at skill poistions go for fourth round picks. No team is going to give you a fourth rounder for a kicker who is at the end of his career.

No team is going to give us a 7th rounder for that matter.

I don't see the Colts cutting him. Just adds one more thing the Colts have to get. We already have enough players to get this offseason...

So instead of trying to save a few million on a young cheap prospect you rather just keep the not needed expensive kicker.

We don't have a kicker if we cut him and it makes another hole if we cut him so yes there is a reason to keep him unless the Colts really want the extra four million or whatever would be saved from cutting him (and I don't think it would be four million because of his bonus's) and then by the time you add a new kicker on top of it you aren't saving very much to make it worth it.

Then sign/draft a young one. He's not in the 3-5 year plan. He's better off elsewhere. Making the decisions that have been made this week, there is no reason to keep him.

You'd eat 2.4 million in space but clear up 1.5 So what is 2.4 more million going to matter when the team is hovering at 30+?

Maybe you guys don't think he is worth it...but I guarantee when teams are struggling to get 3 points...a late 4th rounder/early 5th rounder would be ok for a clutch kicker. They don't just walk up off the street. That is why these guys are around for years and years because they are the only ones that can handle the pressure and perform. I seem to remember the Raiders using a 1st rounder on a kicker. Point is your value may not be equal to what others are...especially those that think they have need for kicker that is automatic in big situations.

don't disagree with that I was just saying what a late round pick was since the previous poster said a fourth rounder was a late round pick.

Oh I wasn't trying to argue with you or anything. I knew what you were saying. I was just adding to it.

Maybe you guys don't think he is worth it...but I guarantee when teams are struggling to get 3 points...a late 4th rounder/early 5th rounder would be ok for a clutch kicker. They don't just walk up off the street. That is why these guys are around for years and years because they are the only ones that can handle the pressure and perform. I seem to remember the Raiders using a 1st rounder on a kicker. Point is your value may not be equal to what others are...especially those that think they have need for kicker that is automatic in big situations.

Not trying to be mean here, but no one is going to trade us anything for Adam.

Then sign/draft a young one. He's not in the 3-5 year plan. He's better off elsewhere. Making the decisions that have been made this week, there is no reason to keep him.

You'd eat 2.4 million in space but clear up 1.5 So what is 2.4 more million going to matter when the team is hovering at 30+?

That's my point you are making another hole that has to be filled this year. We already have more than enough holes to fix why make one if you don't have too? The guys we released today are going to have us big money over the life of their contracts. Cutting Adam is not and it just means you have to go get a kicker on top of everything else you have to go get. You keep Adam and in two or three years when Adam is done you go get a new kicker there. Keeping Adam isn't going to hurt the franchise going forward like keeping the other players contracts was going to. Also of that 1.5 you clear up you have to pay another kicker out of it so you would only end up saving probably less than a million dollars when it's all said and done. I don't think the reward from cutting Adam justifys it.

He's worth it on a varisty team but not this JV squad.

That's my point you are making another hole that has to be filled this year. We already have more than enough holes to fix why make one if you don't have too? The guys we released today are going to have us big money over the life of their contracts. Cutting Adam is not and it just means you have to go get a kicker on top of everything else you have to go get. You keep Adam and in two or three years when Adam is done you go get a new kicker there. Keeping Adam isn't going to hurt the franchise going forward like keeping the other players contracts was going to. Also of that 1.5 you clear up you have to pay another kicker out of it so you would only end up saving probably less than a million dollars when it's all said and done. I don't think the reward from cutting Adam justifys it.

As many holes as there are now, a cheap/young kicker isn't an issue in replacing. I doubt this is what he signed on for last summer/fall.

As many holes as there are now, a cheap/young kicker isn't an issue in replacing. I doubt this is what he signed on for last summer/fall.

I don't think anyone signed on for this but just because it's not doesn't mean they are all storming Grigson's office to demand being released either. Adam doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would.

Again, unlike Clark, Addai, Freeney, Brackett, Bullitt, or even Manning for that matter I don't think you save enough money from cutting Adam to make it worth cutting Adam and making yet another hole to go fill this off-season. By the time you add a new younger kicker your savings from cutting Adam are going to be something like less than a millon dollars. IMO that's not worth it.

Well regardless some disagree. I happen to value kickers very highly. Not saying we are going to offer Adam as he would have value to the team but it is not out of the question for teams to have interest in Adam. Yes kickers are cheap but a lot of teams franchised theirs because they didn't want to lose their quality kicker or go into a bidding war. Adam has certainly proven his value over many people taken in the 1st round much less the 4th or 5th.

Well regardless some disagree. I happen to value kickers very highly. Not saying we are going to offer Adam as he would have value to the team but it is not out of the question for teams to have interest in Adam. Yes kickers are cheap but a lot of teams franchised theirs because they didn't want to lose their quality kicker or go into a bidding war. Adam has certainly proven his value over many people taken in the 1st round much less the 4th or 5th.

Im sure kickers were franchised because they weren't losing more important players and the price for the kicker position was very low. So instead of paying the kicker to a new contract you get to keep him for 1 more year at a lower rate. Not because you value the position so much..

I don't think anyone signed on for this but just because it's not doesn't mean they are all storming Grigson's office to demand being released either. Adam doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would.

Again, unlike Clark, Addai, Freeney, Brackett, Bullitt, or even Manning for that matter I don't think you save enough money from cutting Adam to make it worth cutting Adam and making yet another hole to go fill this off-season. By the time you add a new younger kicker your savings from cutting Adam are going to be something like less than a millon dollars. IMO that's not worth it.

Of course he's not going to make a scene.

You save more money this year cutting AV than 58 & 29 combined. Future years they pass AV. I value good kicker don't get me wrong, but I don't see him being very useful these next two years.