Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kudos to the Jags run defense

DalTXColtsFan

There are times when an NFL team fails to produce jack squat in the run game and you have to blame the line, the playcalling, the back yada yada yada, but I thought all day that the Jags D just came to play.  Some may question the wisdom of stopping the Colts running game and daring Andrew Luck to beat you (because he usually will), but by shutting down a running game that had beaten a good defense like the Bills, you take away the effectiveness of the Colts' play-action game, you take away the ability of the Colts to chew the clock once they have the lead, and you increase the number of times Luck has to drop back, giving your Sacksonville D that many more chances to go after him.

Another reason to load up to stop the run is if you don't believe the other team's receivers can beat your D in one-on-one coverage, and outside of Hilton, they're not necessarily wrong, they just underrated our pass-catching TEs (I thought I heard someone say that Jalen Ramsey was actually covering Ebron - was that true?  If so, for how much of the game?).

Yes, Wilkins was able to rip off that one huge run, but Hines and Mack did NOTHING running the ball all day, and I give 100% of the credit for that to the Jags D.  Some MONSTER athletes on that team.

As a side note, some may have been disappointed with the playcalling and/or execution by the Colts O in the second half *coughdropscough* but you gotta give SOME of the credit to the Jags coaches who did a good job of getting them playing better in the second half.

The bottom line is that records be darned, two darned good football teams went at it yesterday, and in the end the Colts literally just made one more play than the Jaguars did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I agree. Not a pretty second half but their defense is very good. I knew we would eventually be tested and it showed. Props to the Jacksonville defense in that regard. 

That first half entailed a lot of confusion and mistakes by the Jags. Once they settled in they really shut us down. If they had been more on point in the first half than they were this is likely an entirely different game. 

• Like 1

Good for the team that Bouye had the day off.

Draft us a Calais Campbell please. He is mighty good. And Myles Jack is looking good.

After a couple of 200 yard rushing game this was a good perspective game for the players, coaches, fans and GM. 

It don't come easy, you know it don't come easy.

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Regarding the 2nd half, how much different would it have been had there not been those 2 bad, costly drops by Hines and Cox.

On one hand, BOTH teams made mistakes - Jacksonville could easily say, "What if we came out thinking the Colts might actually throw to the tight ends in the first half?" or "What if that receiver had held on to that last pass instead of fumbling it?"

On the other hand, though, there are some mistakes that simply shouldn't happen - period.  You can't drop a ball that hits you right in the hands.  You just can't do that.  SOME of the credit has to go to the Colts D for that fumble for example, and SOME of the credit for the Jags defensive confusion in the first half has to go to the Colts O for having so many weapons it's impossible to shut them all down.  But those two drops are 100% on Hines and Cox - they HAVE to catch those balls, it's not negotiable.

Amazing that a team committed to staking the box against the Colts.  We are talking a team that averaged how many yards rushing last year...  1.  I do believe other teams will copy how the Jags played us.  2. Try to figure out how to cover the tight ends which is the strength of our passing game.   3.  When this happens the receivers not named Hilton needs to step up

12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

That first half entailed a lot of confusion and mistakes by the Jags. Once they settled in they really shut us down. If they had been more on point in the first half than they were this is likely an entirely different game. 

I agree.  Frank and Sirrionzi had'em confused as all get out in the first half.

Let's do it again next week. Fast starts are fun.