Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning or Leaf Video

CR91

You know, you watch a video like that comparing the biggest boom & bust of all time in the modern QB era & it's still a gamble any way you slice it. There is no Rosetta Stone NFL test to tell front offices who will succeed & who will fall flat on their face. Some guys just can't handle enormous expectations & being drafted by a club that is miserable.

Peyton's biggest asset was his father Archie who knew exactly what kind of situation his son had been dropped into. Archie understood what being drafted by a lousy Saints team meant & how lean & harsh going to a bad team really was. If anything, Archie was a good sounding board for #18, even if all he did was just listen when Manning needed him too.

It is kind of alarming how far Leaf fell from a top draft prospect to prison. Talk about stepping off a cliff. I hope Leaf is better now with health & a good head on his shoulders now.

I do feel bad for Chargers fans because of Drew Brees too. Ryan was addicted to pain killers, Drew messed up his shoulder, & Phillip Rivers, an elite QB has never made a SB appearance. And the 1 SB they played in, Steve Young kicked their caboose. Sorry Bolt fans that's gotta hurt.

I do wonder how glaring the warning signs on Ryan Leaf really were at the time. I mean was it like if the wheels fall off this dude will explode? Or was it simply, this was the first time Ryan had been manhandled in a football game? I only ask because sometimes top tier athletes get protected & coddled growing & then all of a sudden, their team gets humiliated & they are at a loss because they have never experienced such an epic defeat before.

BTW, I need to say this: I have tremendous respect for both Brees & Rivers. I consider them both elite field generals that are both tough hombres who scare the crap out of me with 45 seconds left & only need a TD to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat. The Chargers are going to win their division this yr. I just didn't want Charger fans thinking I was cruel pouring salt in their wounds. My bad.

The other thing in that video that made me laugh was this: No test whatever the hades you call it, is going to predict a guy's intelligence, aptitude, or future success. I suck at standardized tests, but if you give me situations & allow me to answer in essay form, I do perfectly fine.

Life is not answered in fill in the dot exercises or mathematical equations. Intelligence comes in many forms: Book smarts, street smarts, the ability to work a room, the ability to detect someone is a con man or full of hot air; a problem solver/unite people under one common goal; & knowing what your weaknesses are & hiring competent experts or accountants to protect your money & investments etc.

These Wonderlic Tests prove absolutely nothing. They are just a weed out system & another hoop to jump through.

If I was a player about to be drafted, I would refuse to take it because any questions you have about my judgement can usually be answered in interviews or scout visit to my school or college university. Plus, you're hiring me for my ability to score TDs & game tape will show how well or not I dissect secondaries not a dumb Wonderlic Test or personality exam.