Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vegas expects Colts surge

ColtStrong2013

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I can see the Colts winning anywhere from 7 to 9 games depending on injuries and how the breaks and bounces go.

I agree. I think 8 to 8.5 will be the final betting line to start the season. I just don't see how anyone would bet on Luck having a losing season. I can't say I don't care what the record is this year, as I would love to see us win 12... but I don't care about the record as much as the progression. I want to see a more competitive, faster, more intense and physical team this season. And I want to see them getting better over the course of the season. Individually and as units. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I agree. I think 8 to 8.5 will be the final betting line to start the season. I just don't see how anyone would bet on Luck having a losing season. I can't say I don't care what the record is this year, as I would love to see us win 12... but I don't care about the record as much as the progression. I want to see a more competitive, faster, more intense and physical team this season. And I want to see them getting better over the course of the season. Individually and as units. 

Agreed...especially regarding the bolded.  Regardless of how this season goes, we know that we are still in rebuilding mode.  I don't think Ballard will make the same mistake that Grigson did if we somehow manage to exceed expectations this year. 

I'm going to put the defense and coaching and the return of Luck on the back burner for this.  I believe one of the top reason's we'll be better this year is our O-line.  There has been multiple reports throughout the football world already saying our O-line has improved.  Some say 'greatly'.

A couple Quinton Nelson rundown's of the Seahawk game:https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/13/17679546/film-room-quenton-nelson-run-blocking-vs-seattle-seahawks-preseason-week-1

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/12/17679530/film-room-quenton-nelson-pass-blocking-vs-seattle-seahawks-preseason-

This is a preview of the upcoming Baltimore game, But it has a couple looks at our O-line play from the Seattle game.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-previews%2F0ap3000000949146%2FRavens-vs-Colts-Preseason-Week-2-Preview

I've seen other stuff that have looked at our current O-line and they've been positive.  Whenever i read a current post about Indy have a poor O-line, they are referring to last year, and not put into consideration our moves this past offseason to bolster that group.

When A.C. and Good get back healthy, I fully expect a pretty dominate O-line.  Especially in the run game.  And since the run game sets the tone for an offense, and it take pressure off a QB and the passing game, this is possibly as important (or even more so) than Luck returning to form.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I'm going to put the defense and coaching and the return of Luck on the back burner for this.  I believe one of the top reason's we'll be better this year is our O-line.  There has been multiple reports throughout the football world already saying our O-line has improved.  Some say 'greatly'.

A couple Quinton Nelson rundown's of the Seahawk game:https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/13/17679546/film-room-quenton-nelson-run-blocking-vs-seattle-seahawks-preseason-week-1

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/12/17679530/film-room-quenton-nelson-pass-blocking-vs-seattle-seahawks-preseason-

This is a preview of the upcoming Baltimore game, But it has a couple looks at our O-line play from the Seattle game.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-previews%2F0ap3000000949146%2FRavens-vs-Colts-Preseason-Week-2-Preview

I've seen other stuff that have looked at our current O-line and they've been positive.  Whenever i read a current post about Indy have a poor O-line, they are referring to last year, and not put into consideration our moves this past offseason to bolster that group.

When A.C. and Good get back healthy, I fully expect a pretty dominate O-line.  Especially in the run game.  And since the run game sets the tone for an offense, and it take pressure off a QB and the passing game, this is possibly as important (or even more so) than Luck returning to form.

So you have Good at RT? Because that's the big question right now, and I'm not sure anyone can rely on Good to be and/or stay healthy for an entire season. He seems to be in the training room too often, and on the field too seldom.

It sounds like Braden Smith is getting serious consideration at RT. We'll see how that goes, but I'm not confident that he's ready right now. 

And the other question is whether Castonzo will be ready. He has a habit of starting slow every year, and now he's dealing with a nagging injury that can be difficult to shake. So if Castonzo doesn't play well, that's a problem, and if he doesn't play at all, that's a bigger problem because there is no LT2 right now. 

My burning question is 'what's wrong with Le'Raven Clark? He should be in the mix at both tackle spots, but can't seem to get it together. Joe Haeg has been bad as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Superman said:

So you have Good at RT? Because that's the big question right now, and I'm not sure anyone can rely on Good to be and/or stay healthy for an entire season. He seems to be in the training room too often, and on the field too seldom.

It sounds like Braden Smith is getting serious consideration at RT. We'll see how that goes, but I'm not confident that he's ready right now. 

And the other question is whether Castonzo will be ready. He has a habit of starting slow every year, and now he's dealing with a nagging injury that can be difficult to shake. So if Castonzo doesn't play well, that's a problem, and if he doesn't play at all, that's a bigger problem because there is no LT2 right now. 

My burning question is 'what's wrong with Le'Raven Clark? He should be in the mix at both tackle spots, but can't seem to get it together. Joe Haeg has been bad as well.

I have Good just being available helping. His being prone to injuries does not bode well for him being a starter, but when healthy he seems to have been quite solid as of late.  Just being available means if someone else goes down for a couple weeks, you have a solid back-up in place.  

On 8/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will be 8.5 before opening day IMO. I have said that for a while. People that I work with and most of my friends and even my step-dad think the Colts can win 9 games. If it stays at 7.5 that is money to make because I don't see us worse than 8-8 if Luck plays all 16 games.

That is the key.  

I put as between 6-10 wins.   If Luck is healthy, he can get us the 10 wins.   The problem is that if he feels he has to do so much to help us win, he may not stay healthy.   When he took off and ran during that 1st preseason game, I was screaming NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!      But that is his way.    

It will be 8.5 before opening day IMO. I have said that for a while. People that I work with and most of my friends and even my step-dad think the Colts can win 9 games. If it stays at 7.5 that is money to make because I don't see us worse than 8-8 if Luck plays all 16 games.

That is the key.  

I put as between 6-10 wins.   If Luck is healthy, he can get us the 10 wins.   The problem is that if he feels he has to do so much to help us win, he may not stay healthy.   When he took off and ran during that 1st preseason game, I was screaming NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!      But that is his way.    

• Like 1

Sorry about the multiple post.   Not sure what happened.   I blame Monday.

This team can get to 10 wins and compete for the division.

-The offense will be significantly improved for a number of reasons but the obvious one being the return of Luck. Add in Reich/Sirianni for the offensive game planning and play calling and you have the recipe for an offense poised for success. There remains some question marks with WR depth and the right side of the offensive line. The RB situation isn't exactly fluid either with Mack's injury and Turbin's suspension along with two rookies looking at having to play a significant role early on. But, the offensive line is significantly improved on the left side with Castanzo (if he's fully healthy), Nelson and Kelly and the addition of Ebron could prove to be an X factor.

-The defense will see its fair share of struggles, especially early on as younger players are looking to gain experience and some veteran players return from injury. However, the type of defense the Colts will be implementing is similar to what was seen in the Manning years. Meaning that if the Colts offense is able to build up a lead and dictate what the opposing offense is forced to do, the defense will be in a better position to compete and make plays.

Another factor at play is how the AFC South will play out. If Houston is able to keep its marque players healthy all season, they will be a significant force. Jacksonville's defense will likely continue to be formidable but the x factor for them will be Bortles and his growth as a passer. Titans have a fair defense but the team is operating with a new coaching staff and the offense has been slow to come around thus far in training camp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I have Good just being available helping. His being prone to injuries does not bode well for him being a starter, but when healthy he seems to have been quite solid as of late.  Just being available means if someone else goes down for a couple weeks, you have a solid back-up in place.  

So who plays RT? That's still the big question. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Braden Smith should play RT right now. It's not his best position, but it will put him on the field, he's still good at it, and he can be a good fit until we get a proper RT and we can move Braden to RG next year at his natural position after Slauson leaves. About the best we can do right now IMO.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

This team can get to 10 wins and compete for the division.

-The offense will be significantly improved for a number of reasons but the obvious one being the return of Luck. Add in Reich/Sirianni for the offensive game planning and play calling and you have the recipe for an offense poised for success. There remains some question marks with WR depth and the right side of the offensive line. The RB situation isn't exactly fluid either with Mack's injury and Turbin's suspension along with two rookies looking at having to play a significant role early on. But, the offensive line is significantly improved on the left side with Castanzo (if he's fully healthy), Nelson and Kelly and the addition of Ebron could prove to be an X factor.

-The defense will see its fair share of struggles, especially early on as younger players are looking to gain experience and some veteran players return from injury. However, the type of defense the Colts will be implementing is similar to what was seen in the Manning years. Meaning that if the Colts offense is able to build up a lead and dictate what the opposing offense is forced to do, the defense will be in a better position to compete and make plays.

Another factor at play is how the AFC South will play out. If Houston is able to keep its marque players healthy all season, they will be a significant force. Jacksonville's defense will likely continue to be formidable but the x factor for them will be Bortles and his growth as a passer. Titans have a fair defense but the team is operating with a new coaching staff and the offense has been slow to come around thus far in training camp.

I pretty much agree.   I did notice that a new coaching staff is a positive for the Colts, but a negative for the Titans.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restored said:

To be fair, under Manning, the Colts had Freeney and Mathis. When the Colts had a lead, they pinned their ears back and got after the quarterback. This year's defense does not have anywhere near that combo of sack artists.

I agree that having a lead will help the defense.

11 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

To be fair, under Manning, the Colts had Freeney and Mathis. When the Colts had a lead, they pinned their ears back and got after the quarterback. This year's defense does not have anywhere near that combo of sack artists.

I agree. Sheard and Simon are no Freeney and Mathis but the underlying principles of what situations help both defensive schemes work best are the same.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Braden Smith should play RT right now. It's not his best position, but it will put him on the field, he's still good at it, and he can be a good fit until we get a proper RT and we can move Braden to RG next year at his natural position after Slauson leaves. About the best we can do right now IMO.

I agree Smith could plat RT.  If Slausson or Nelson goes down, then he'd have to be brought back into Guard.  That's when Good would play IMO. Short term to plug a hole while someone recoups from an injury.  If Good ever shows that he can stay away from the injury bug for a prolonged period of time, then maybe slot him in...but not before.  Need cohesion on o-line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm fine with Smith playing RT -- if he wins the job outright. I like the way the staff is handling the competition right now, aside from the fact that no one seems to be playing well at the position so far. That might change as Smith gets his feet under him, but the guy they probably expected to plug in -- Howard -- has been awful, and none of the other young guys -- Haeg, Clark -- have been able to separate themselves. Good can't even get on the practice field.

Competition is good, but I think it only really works when you have quality competition. So far, there hasn't been much quality at RT. 

And then we have the injury issue at LT. Hopefully AC is ready, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I agree Smith could plat RT.  If Slausson or Nelson goes down, then he'd have to be brought back into Guard.  That's when Good would play IMO. Short term to plug a hole while someone recoups from an injury.  If Good ever shows that he can stay away from the injury bug for a prolonged period of time, then maybe slot him in...but not before.  Need cohesion on o-line.

The interior actually looks promising. Slauson is a nice stopgap at RG, Nelson and Kelly have LG and C locked down. And there's depth at guard, hopefully. 

5 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I actually think Turay could be really good, & if Simon can be as solid as he's been throughout camp, that's not a bad combo. Not as good as Freeney/Mathis, but few pass rush tandems are.

On August 18, 2018 at 1:29 AM, Superman said:

1) Basically every time the Colts change coaching staffs, the team wins more games than the previous season. From Mora to Dungy, +4 wins; from Dungy to Caldwell, +4 wins; from Caldwell to Pagano, +9 wins.

2) Why do we have to try to find ways to sensationalize the length of time Luck missed? He didn't play for a year. He missed one season. He's not the first QB to miss a season.

3) Overturned bad roster. And it's two years in the making.

4) Every team has injuries, every year. It's football.

I stand very firm on my prediction. If you see this team as a playoff team your insane. 

52 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

I stand very firm on my prediction. If you see this team as a playoff team your insane. 

Many different kinds of insanity. For instance...following a sports team and feeling the need to always "Keep it real" would be insane to me. I love believing no matter what. 

For the record, I see this team as a playoff team. The white jacket should arrive soon..