Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018-2019 NCAA Basketball thread

13 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Zion Williamson at Duke is going to be a monster. Could be LeBron 2.0

The guy was listed at like 6'7 285!! He is built like a mack truck! Not sure there is anyone really like him in college basketball with that kind of athleticism and size.

• Like 1

I'm excited for my Hoosiers! We will be back in the dance where we belong and I think we have a great shot at a B1G title. We should actually have some floor balance with Romeo able to help Morgan out. This freshman class is one of the best I've seen in a long long time come to Indiana. Romeo, Phinesee, Anderson, Hunter, Forrester plus add in Race Thompson who red shirted last year....and we added a nice shooting big in Fitz. Justin Smith was really showing promise at the end of last year too. I think we are flying under the radar right now but we are going to be a team that hovers around that 10-15 range all season. Archie is putting together a fabulous roster and I think there is a lot of momentum in Bloomington. Landing the top 3 prospects in Indiana last year and he leads as favorite to land the top 2 in 2019 he is setting a great stage for IU to nail down the state from the likes of Michigan St. and UCLA and UK. We keep our own best high school players at these Indiana state schools we will see all of them fair better.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Only about 2 months til its back (can't wait)

Duke vs Kentucky game one should be awesome. 

You guys are pretty loaded. I think Cal finally woke up and loaded up with shooters this year to go with the bigs he brought back. I think you will be favorites all year. If Cal doesn't win his 2nd NC though there will be a lot of grumbling though. All the talent he has had at UK and he has the same number of championships as Tubby. It's a sore spot with the people I talk to...however they are mostly over 40...seems the younger crowd just love the hype and having NBA guys every year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

You guys are pretty loaded. I think Cal finally woke up and loaded up with shooters this year to go with the bigs he brought back. I think you will be favorites all year. If Cal doesn't win his 2nd NC though there will be a lot of grumbling though. All the talent he has had at UK and he has the same number of championships as Tubby. It's a sore spot with the people I talk to...however they are mostly over 40...seems the younger crowd just love the hype and having NBA guys every year.

I think Reid Travis coming to UK was huge as well. One of the best rebounders in the country and can score (though he won't need to score as much as he did at Stanford)

And yeah he probably should have more than 1 title at UK but I think we would have more than 1 if most of UKs teams had more experience. This years team has a good amount of experience so I'm pretty excited. They looked darn good in the bahamas.

I'm excited for my Hoosiers! We will be back in the dance where we belong and I think we have a great shot at a B1G title. We should actually have some floor balance with Romeo able to help Morgan out. This freshman class is one of the best I've seen in a long long time come to Indiana. Romeo, Phinesee, Anderson, Hunter, Forrester plus add in Race Thompson who red shirted last year....and we added a nice shooting big in Fitz. Justin Smith was really showing promise at the end of last year too. I think we are flying under the radar right now but we are going to be a team that hovers around that 10-15 range all season. Archie is putting together a fabulous roster and I think there is a lot of momentum in Bloomington. Landing the top 3 prospects in Indiana last year and he leads as favorite to land the top 2 in 2019 he is setting a great stage for IU to nail down the state from the likes of Michigan St. and UCLA and UK. We keep our own best high school players at these Indiana state schools we will see all of them fair better.

I think IU will have a good year for sure.

The guy was listed at like 6'7 285!! He is built like a mack truck! Not sure there is anyone really like him in college basketball with that kind of athleticism and size.

Hes built like a defensive end lol. Not sure when there's ever been anyone like this in CBB in a long time. LeBron would be a favorable comparison if he went to college but he didn't 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think Reid Travis coming to UK was huge as well. One of the best rebounders in the country and can score (though he won't need to score as much as he did at Stanford)

And yeah he probably should have more than 1 title at UK but I think we would have more than 1 if most of UKs teams had more experience. This years team has a good amount of experience so I'm pretty excited. They looked darn good in the bahamas.

I think IU will have a good year for sure.

They did look good...but no offense Notre Dame went 3-0 down there and so did Alabama St. They weren’t tested. Those were basically like AAU games get up and down and run etc...it was easy for a young team to just roll out the ball and play. That said yes they are loaded. I like your guards a lot and Green, Travis, and Richards and Washington? Back I think. That’s a deep team. Cals game management will have no place to hide. It isn’t his most talented team but maybe deepest. I think it’s a safe bet that anything short of a final four would be a tragic failure. You got a great team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

They did look good...but no offense Notre Dame went 3-0 down there and so did Alabama St. They weren’t tested. Those were basically like AAU games get up and down and run etc...it was easy for a young team to just roll out the ball and play. That said yes they are loaded. I like your guards a lot and Green, Travis, and Richards and Washington? Back I think. That’s a deep team. Cals game management will have no place to hide. It isn’t his most talented team but maybe deepest. I think it’s a safe bet that anything short of a final four would be a tragic failure. You got a great team.

Yeah I think the final 4 should be doable for this team. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Dakich said on his radio show trouble could be brewing for IU. Guess we will see what he means.

Not sure what he means but nothing would surprise me with the once proud program we had. IU hasn't been the same since Bobby Knight left after 2000. Davis had the one solid run in 2002 making the final game but it was Knights players he took there. Crean was able to recruit Oladipo and Zeller but never could advance further than the Sweet 16. I have no idea what this new regime is doing?? I am not sold on Archie Miller, I wanted Steve Alford. I have been a Basketball Hoosier fan since I can remember. I remember watching Isiah Thomas as a young kid destroy teams in 1981 on their way to the National Title. I remember Smart's shot against the Cuse to win it all in 1987, Alford got his Ring! Yeah the good ol days. I don't know what's worse the IU Basketball program or the Nebraska Football program lmao . Both are tough to watch now days. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure what he means but nothing would surprise me with the once proud program we had. IU hasn't been the same since Bobby Knight left after 2000. Davis had the one solid run in 2002 making the final game but it was Knights players he took there. Crean was able to recruit Oladipo and Zeller but never could advance further than the Sweet 16. I have no idea what this new regime is doing?? I am not sold on Archie Miller, I wanted Steve Alford. I have been a Basketball Hoosier fan since I can remember. I remember watching Isiah Thomas as a young kid destroy teams in 1981 on their way to the National Title. I remember Smart's shot against the Cuse to win it all in 1987, Alford got his Ring! Yeah the good ol days. I don't know what's worse the IU Basketball program or the Nebraska Football program lmao . Both are tough to watch now days. 

Archies brother in Arizona has been in some trouble recently. Wonder if he did something similar. I don't listen to Dakich often but did for a little bit yesterday. He made it sound like its pretty bad and will be dropping soon. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Dakich said on his radio show trouble could be brewing for IU. Guess we will see what he means.

He was talking about the IU assistant coach Ostrom that was mentioned in the DeSousa court case. The assistant coach said IU was willing to do whatever it takes to recruit the kid (to the kids AAU coach and was passed along to kid's guardian)...that was it...nothing else. Interestingly the coaches kid walked on to IU  last year. Dakich was trying to stretch that statement to mean that we were willing to get dirty and pay him since he ended up accepting money from Adidas to go to Kansas. Now the kid is sitting out this year and Self looks on the hot seat. Seeing as IU never even had the kid for a visit and never got any further in recruiting him it's safe to say that paying him wasn't part of whatever it takes. Sources on the coaching staff said that doing whatever it takes means promising playing time and not recruiting the same position and holding his spot for him. Again we never even got the kid to come for a visit or even visited him so it was all nonsense from Dakich. He likes to blow hot air to get his ratings up. He is like Skip Bayless around here. Stir up controversy to get clicks and hot takes to get ratings and people calling in. He is ok announcing games etc but his radio show IMO is nothing more than trash.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, RockThatBlue said:

UK plays their first preseason game in about 10 minutes.

Yep....season is about to get under way. IU had a private scrimmage against Final 4 Loyola Chicago who returned 4 starters. IU was reported to have won 70-48. Reports are Romeo finished with 19pts and 10 rebounds.  That's a pretty good win as they are a feisty team. I am expecting us to be back in the top 20 this year hopefully. A big year for Archie in rebuilding the program. Great class he brought in this year and he is looking good to rope in two more 5 stars for next year in Trayce Jackson Davis (Dale Davis's son) and Keion Brooks Jr. Hopefully things are looking up!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep....season is about to get under way. IU had a private scrimmage against Final 4 Loyola Chicago who returned 4 starters. IU was reported to have won 70-48. Reports are Romeo finished with 19pts and 10 rebounds.  That's a pretty good win as they are a feisty team. I am expecting us to be back in the top 20 this year hopefully. A big year for Archie in rebuilding the program. Great class he brought in this year and he is looking good to rope in two more 5 stars for next year in Trayce Jackson Davis (Dale Davis's son) and Keion Brooks Jr. Hopefully things are looking up!

IU should have a good team this year for sure.

Duke Vs Kentucky one week from tonight. Can't wait. Game is in downtown Indy too.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, RockThatBlue said:

IU should have a good team this year for sure.

Duke Vs Kentucky one week from tonight. Can't wait. Game is in downtown Indy too.

I did not see this coming. I mean I can’t rememeber the last time UK just got beat down like a red headed step child. Those Duke freshman are the best group of freshman I think I’ve ever seen....count the Fab Five in that. Even though IU had a blow out win I’m actually scared to go in to Camron Indoor to play them...yikes!

To think that going into this week I never thought the UK football team woukd keep it closer than the UK basketball team. After giving up almost 120 maybe Cal should call Stoops to come coach his team up on how to play some defense. I can’t lie..Duke if they want could probably score 150 at some point this season. It’s a long year to go but not sure someone beats them if they stay healthy.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 12:51 AM, dgambill said:

To think that going into this week I never thought the UK football team woukd keep it closer than the UK basketball team. After giving up almost 120 maybe Cal should call Stoops to come coach his team up on how to play some defense. I can’t lie..Duke if they want could probably score 150 at some point this season. It’s a long year to go but not sure someone beats them if they stay healthy.

Duke looked ridiculous. Zion really is LeBron 2.0. Unguardable. RJ is a heck of a player too. 

I don't think UK was as bad as they showed. I think we came in a bit too overconfident and got smacked in the mouth and just had no answer for it. Might've been a good thing to get smacked back to reality early in the season. Sometimes a bad loss can be a good thing and I'm hoping this one was.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Duke looked ridiculous. Zion really is LeBron 2.0. Unguardable. RJ is a heck of a player too. 

I don't think UK was as bad as they showed. I think we came in a bit too overconfident and got smacked in the mouth and just had no answer for it. Might've been a good thing to get smacked back to reality early in the season. Sometimes a bad loss can be a good thing and I'm hoping this one was.

UK finally turned it on with about 6-7 minutes to go...SIU had no business being in this game but these young guys will learn eventually that they will have a bullseye on their back every night. Duke isn’t as good as they looked but UK isn’t quite a top 5 team just yet either....but by March they likely will be.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 8:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sounds like we are close to the same age my first memories of IU was Bob losing 1 then going undefeated loved Zeke.  Don't worry we are finally in good hands with Archie 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Sounds like we are close to the same age my first memories of IU was Bob losing 1 then going undefeated loved Zeke.  Don't worry we are finally in good hands with Archie 

Yeah the undefeated team was just barely before my time watching. I was only 5 years old when that happened in 1976. I started watching shortly after that, I remember 1981 like it was yesterday though. I loved Isiah Thomas.

5 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is what people said in the early days of the Sampson and Crean Eras

Sampson might have been the most disappointing hiring by any sports team in the state of Indiana for me. Miller coaches D and understands the importance of recruiting the state I think we are on the right path. There won't ever be another Robert Montgomery Kinight but IU bball is back 

That place was rocking vs Marquette hasn't seen it like that in many moons

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, akcolt said:

Sampson might have been the most disappointing hiring by any sports team in the state of Indiana for me. Miller coaches D and understands the importance of recruiting the state I think we are on the right path. There won't ever be another Robert Montgomery Kinight but IU bball is back 

That place was rocking vs Marquette hasn't seen it like that in many moons

Sampson is actually a pretty good coach. The whole phone calling thing was blown way out of proportion. In fact what he did at the time is permissible now....not making excuses just saying the school maybe over-reacted to the violation and hurt ourselves more than necessary imposing our own punishment. Looking at all the stuff going on in college basketball and how schools get by with much worse and go unpunished we may have really did harm to ourselves. Crean did a good job getting us out of the pits we put ourself in....but we kept him way too long. I like Archie...he is a good recruiter and his teams play hard defense...right now we have 7 players out due to injury....look like the Colts against NE out there. It will get better....we have a good competitive team.

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Down goes Duke.....man...one week they can beat the Cavs...now Gonzaga beats them. Gotta love college basketball....where anything can happen!

The 40-0 talk about Duke was silly. Very talented team but you never know what can happen, especially with a young team. Lord knows I see it with UK every year. Lol

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, RockThatBlue said:

IU getting smashed by Duke. Don't feel bad IU fans, I saw them do it to us too lol.

It was a horrible game....way way too many turnovers. We have had guys out with injuries all season and a couple came back and haven't played together at all.....heck I even saw us turn it over on a 4-1 fast break. Ugly....I mean not as ugly as giving up 120 and losing by almost 40 on a neutral floor but ugly. You can't try to run with Duke...control tempo...control the driving lanes..make them earn it from outside. Great gameplan by Coach Few.

You guys look to finally be finding an identity. Had some struggles early but if you hang your hat on the defense will be alright....just don't know if this team you have this year will do that all year though. That UK vs UL game looks a lot more interesting with how Mack has them playing. Should be a blow out based on talent but I think it will be a close game until the last 4 minutes and you guys pull away and win by 10. Love me some college basketball.....some wonderful games!! I'm just happy we are 2-0 in the B1G. Conference games are hard to win no matter who you are playing.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

Another big day for Jackie Young and NDWBB

28 points 11 Rebounds

What happened with the UConn game? It was close at half and then I had to leave and it kinda got away from them?

Happy for our women Hoosiers. Longest active winning streak in the country going back to last year. 7-0 this year....glad to see they are representing the state well with some home grown talent too. Maybe get some respect and make the tournament this year! Beat Wake Forrest and UCLA and Florida so far....big game with undefeated Butler tonight! Too many talented Indiana HS girls to not have more college success in this state.

I love Coach Cal but he is doing a poor job with this team. How does he not call a timeout at the end? Mind blowing...

And wow Tyler Herro is the worst shooter I've seen us have in a while. There was a ton of hype about him but he can't hit a 3 to save his life and that was supposed to be his strength. 

Keldon Johnson, PJ and Reid are very good players but everyone else right now stinks. I'm hoping Cal can pull off what he did with last years team because they looked really bad at times too and ended the year solid. Not sure this team has a SGA or a Knox though, at least not yet.

• Like 1

Who wins the Heisman? I did not see Oklahoma play this year. Is their QB that good? Better than Tua?

This time last year, I thought it would be we Bryce Love holding the trophy this year. But he was injured most of the year and Stanford had a down year overall. 

On 12/8/2018 at 3:40 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I love Coach Cal but he is doing a poor job with this team. How does he not call a timeout at the end? Mind blowing...

And wow Tyler Herro is the worst shooter I've seen us have in a while. There was a ton of hype about him but he can't hit a 3 to save his life and that was supposed to be his strength. 

Keldon Johnson, PJ and Reid are very good players but everyone else right now stinks. I'm hoping Cal can pull off what he did with last years team because they looked really bad at times too and ended the year solid. Not sure this team has a SGA or a Knox though, at least not yet.

Cal just threw his guys under the bus. Blamed them for not calling a time out...you mean he screams all game long and he can’t scream for them to call a timeout? Strange. Cal will get them better....I mean they will win a lot of games based on talent alone...but against good teams I don’t know if Cal can make adjustments and calls to help them win. If he doesn’t have an elite pg and/or HOF talent like Anthony Davis well he struggles to win at the highest level. He needs superior talent and that has kinda gone away. If UK fans would just realize that they win a lot more than most fans and be happy with that they might appreciate their success...but all this win it all or failure or we have to be like undefeated they wouldn’t be so let down when these young kids come in as freshman and it takes them time to learn to win. Herro is really good...he is pressing a bit...he is streaky...don’t worry he will start hitting those in time. He is important because he is that one guy that stretches the defense. Tell you what that UK vs UofL game looks a lot more interesting this year. Mack is a good coach they play hard.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IU is now 8-2 and 2-0 in Big Ten play, 1 of their losses was to Duke. They beat Louisville today 68-67. They aren't looking too bad so far.

And we gave away the game in Arkansas. Wide open put back we missed to win it then inexplicably foul. Young team and won 3 1pt games. Growing little bit at a time.

• Like 2