Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Should be Done With the First Overall Pick [Merge]

The Peytonator

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

We had a great run with Peyton and 3 realistic shots at winning the Super Bowl.... and won one of them. Its less than we wanted but more than 95% of NFL fans get to enjoy.

Now I'm ready for us to move on with this rebuild and I'll root for the Colts as heartily as ever.

QUOTED FOR ABSOLUTE UNEQUIVOCAL TRUTH.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unlikely that another

1) once in a generation QB prospect

2) best QB prospect since Elway/PM

comes around again.

So draft a lesser QB prospect and throw him to the lions = more probability for bust than doing so with a much better QB prospect.

1/2 a generation will have past. Is that good enough for you.

2) best QB prospect since Elway/PM

comes around again.

I don't know.... There have been many "great Qb PROSPECTS" to enter the draft. So you only point out the ones that actually lived up to the media hype. That's 2 Qbs out of how many great propects the past 30 years?

I don't like those odds

Good point. They already know how to tank a season, so they can just do it again ;)

That could be option 2 then.......Manning is cleared, we trade #1 pick, Manning relapses and is done (possible), and we draft poorly (distinctly possible), and we are 2-14 all over again. Then in 2013 the best we get is Barkley......if we are lucky. I'm still for option 1 or 3 (or is it A or C?).

Oh, I feel dizzy.....

What do the Manning fans out there want if Manning announces he is retiring this week?

I don't know.... There have been many "great Qb PROSPECTS" to enter the draft. So you only point out the ones that actually lived up to the media hype. That's 2 Qbs out of how many great propects the past 30 years?

I don't like those odds

Yes, there have been may great QB prospects. However, none of them have been thought of as the best QB prospect since PM/Elway....until 2012.

Kinda limited on the options there. Wait for the Rams to do something, maybe trade with Cleveland, maybe forget Luck and consider RGIII. If you cut Manning and draft Luck how are you in any different situation than you were last year if Luck goes down? Keep Manning draft or move down to get Griffin and build a less QB centric team.

Yes, there have been may great QB prospects. However, none of them have been thought of as the best QB prospect since PM/Elway....until 2012.

What are the odds he becomes the next Jeff George. He was compared with greats because of his strong arm

I don't know about Jeff George, since no scout has equated Luck with George. Scouts have claimed that Luck is the best QB prospect since PM / Elway.

my point is, just because scouts love a prospect and compare him to great pro Qb, it doesn't assure success in the NFL by any measure. Then I used Jeff George as an example.

That could be option 2 then.......Manning is cleared, we trade #1 pick, Manning relapses and is done (possible), and we draft poorly (distinctly possible), and we are 2-14 all over again. Then in 2013 the best we get is Barkley......if we are lucky.

fans in support of trading the pick have not even considered this possibility. I guarantee it. If it happened this way, they would be shocked right to the very core of their being and destroyed emotionally. Completely blindsided.

"but, but, Peyton was going to win us 4 more superbowls!!!! what do you MEAN he is retiring after one season?!?!?!?!"

If it happened this way, they would be shocked right to the very core of their being and destroyed emotionally. Completely blindsided.

"but, but, Peyton was going to win us 4 more superbowls!!!! what do you MEAN he is retiring after one season?!?!?!?!"

This baordering abuse, so I kindly suggest you ease up.

Sounds to me like he was having a little fun. You know, making out you guys could not face life without Manning. Which we all know is silly, as it's only a game....

Portraying those who want to trade the pick as clueless, stuttering, grandiose fans doesn't sound like fun, unless you're a troll

I'm for option 2. I think you underestimated what we would get. 3 first rounders and 3 seconds for the pick. Those picks will help us out now and even after Manning. The team we would trade with would lose so many picks that they would he set back for a few years so it is likely the picks we get for 2013 and 2014 would also be very high picks. We could draft the future qb in with those picks in a few years.

If and its a HUGE if, you can get 6 draft picks for one pick then you have to really consider that.

Either way I am still not sure it makes financial sense to keep Peyton unless he renegotiates his contract. The risks of paying the $28,000,000 without ever seeing him throw and without ever knowing if he can fully recover are pretty high. If you pay it and he cant come back you are committing cap suicide for the following year or two.

Imo the only way Peyton comes back is if he renegotiates his deal and I think the chances of that are slim. I am not sure why he doenst want to help the Colts out any considering they gave him $26,000,000 staying off the field last year. This is a two way street, both Irsay and Manning need to move some of they want it to work out. If he is willing to sign an incentive based deal elsewhere, but not in Indy that proves to me he would rather not be here.

If and its a HUGE if, you can get 6 draft picks for one pick then you have to really consider that.

I have no doubts you can get any team's 7th round draft picks for the next 10 years in exchange for the #1 overall pick this year.

Although, I think you would be dissatisfied with that. ;)

Either way I am still not sure it makes financial sense to keep Peyton unless he renegotiates his contract. The risks of paying the $28,000,000 without ever seeing him throw and without ever knowing if he can fully recover are pretty high. If you pay it and he cant come back you are committing cap suicide for the following year or two.

Yes, indeed.

You know, for an "undecided frog" you sure show conviction

And it takes a great leap of faith to surmise that my indecision has anything to do with the PM situation, instead of the color underwear that I will don tomorrow.

PS: If you didn't already know, I am not a frog either.

And it takes a great leap of faith to surmise that my indecision has anything to do with the PM situation, instead of the color underwear that I will don tomorrow.

PS: If you didn't already know, I am not a frog either.

Oh, ...OK

Sounds to me like he was having a little fun. You know, making out you guys could not face life without Manning. Which we all know is silly, as it's only a game....

That comment was for those who selected option #2. I chose #1. I'm with those who are trying to break the Colts bank

THe Colts do what gives them the best chance at winning now and in the future by drafting Luck, keeping Manning and letting Luck sit develop behind Manning until it's his time to shine.

I still think, if Manning agrees to a cap friendly restructured contract, he AND Luck can play. That would be something to watch