Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew lucks interview sounds like a QB that fully expects to come back

horseshoecrabs

Warning:  wild speculation mixed with optimism, may not be suitable for some fans.......I think Luck is fine, he's out of the woods working on rebuilding his throwing mechanics from the ground up.  They have the luxury of time so why minimize the returns by "skipping a step"?   I also believe it serves the organization to project doubt up until draft day.  So they're walking a line between trying to keep us positive while projecting to the rest of the league that the Colts may be forced to take a qb at 3.

Tangent:  How cool would it have been if, while the media was focused Reich's intro speech, the doors behind them burst open.  Luck entered and yelled "hey coach" and threw a bullet pass to Reich (which he caught of course).......then confetti rained from the ceiling. Irsay gets to his feet, raises both fists, and screams "ummm, uhhhhhhh!" as the room erupts in applause.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If he were to miss yet another year, I would hope we move on from him. You can't be paying a guy the money he's getting to miss this much time. Or you see what you can get for him in a trade. 

If Luck does not come back due to a career ending injury I think the remainder of his contract should be paid by insurance.

1 hour ago, Sumo63 said:

Warning:  wild speculation mixed with optimism, may not be suitable for some fans.......I think Luck is fine, he's out of the woods working on rebuilding his throwing mechanics from the ground up.  They have the luxury of time so why minimize the returns by "skipping a step"?   I also believe it serves the organization to project doubt up until draft day.  So they're walking a line between trying to keep us positive while projecting to the rest of the league that the Colts may be forced to take a qb at 3.

Tangent:  How cool would it have been if, while the media was focused Reich's intro speech, the doors behind them burst open.  Luck entered and yelled "hey coach" and threw a bullet pass to Reich (which he caught of course).......then confetti rained from the ceiling. Irsay gets to his feet, raises both fists, and screams "ummm, uhhhhhhh!" as the room erupts in applause.

I considered the Colts may want to adopt this strategy before, but the more I thought about it the more I thought it would be a bad strategy for almost any scenario that would benefit the Colts. We want the QBs to drop and this will probably have the opposite effect.

If Ballard wants to trade out of #3 convincing other teams we want a QB would most likely hurt us. Because if Cleveland was going to wait until 4 for a QB and grab someone else at 1 now they will be afraid and probably take their QB at 1.  Someone like the Broncos, Jets, etc .. .could get nervous and try to jump us to get there guy at 1 or 2 costing us the trade we wanted.... or both.

If we know Luck is done and we really do want a QB at #3 we hurt ourselves there too because again Cleveland and the Giants may decide to Get their QB or trade to a QB hungry team. Or going way out here ... what if Luck is definitely done and we decide we want to go up to #1 to get our guy ... if the Cleveland thinks we are going up after Barkley or Chubb because "we think the Giants are going to grab them" than Cleveland may make the trade thinking they still get their QB at #3.

The only way I can see this strategy benefiting us is if we are specifically targeting Barkley or Chubb, and we think Cleveland or Giants are going to take whoever we are coveting so we want to try to force the QBs off the board before our pick so Barkley or Chubb drop to us.

IMO convincing everyone Luck 100% (whether he is or not) is much more beneficial strategically.

I know this is all just wild hypothetical speculation .. just tossing it out there because I had had similar thoughts on the strategy you suggested, and of course this could change depending on what happens in FA, Combine, etc ...

On 2/15/2018 at 6:12 PM, jshipp23 said:

With or without Luck we have a very good YOUNG QB with skills in Brissett..I hope he reads all this and I'm sure he does..I know I would if I was in that position..I hope he uses it as fuel..Just saying..We are in a good shape with Reich and we have 2 high quality QBs..

IF luck isn't read to go day 1, I'll be fine with Brissett trying to keep us afloat.  Especially because he is still raw and Reich is good at developing QBs.  Then if Luck is healthy, we trade him the next season.

1 hour ago, coltsnation said:

IF luck isn't read to go day 1, I'll be fine with Brissett trying to keep us afloat.  Especially because he is still raw and Reich is good at developing QBs.  Then if Luck is healthy, we trade him the next season.

I doubt Luck if healthy will be healthy long..He had a freak injury that we forced him to play a season with, scar tissue etc makes it hard to predict..I wouldn't count on him coming back if he does he is 1 hit away..Just saying, people need to prepare themselves, we are very lucky to have Brissett..That dude can make throws maybe 90% of starting NFL qbs can't make

.If he gets comfortable in the right offense he can be a pro bowl QB..

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I doubt Luck if healthy will be healthy long..He had a freak injury that we forced him to play a season with, scar tissue etc makes it hard to predict..I wouldn't count on him coming back if he does he is 1 hit away..Just saying, people need to prepare themselves, we are very lucky to have Brissett..That dude can make throws may 10% of starting NFL qbs can't make

NO one but Luck decided not to have surgery on the initial injury.  A team can't force a player to go under the knife.... and you can't really pressure a player of Luck's status within a franchise really.....  The "Luck was forced to play hurt" agenda is just silly.

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I doubt Luck if healthy will be healthy long..He had a freak injury that we forced him to play a season with, scar tissue etc makes it hard to predict..I wouldn't count on him coming back if he does he is 1 hit away..Just saying, people need to prepare themselves, we are very lucky to have Brissett..That dude can make throws may 90% of starting NFL qbs can't make

I think luck will play and be fine and I do like Brissett but to say he can make throws that only 4 other qbs can make is a  bit of a stretch.  

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

NO one but Luck decided not to have surgery on the initial injury.  A team can't force a player to go under the knife.... and you can't really pressure a player of Luck's status within a franchise really.....  The "Luck was forced to play hurt" agenda is just silly.

It's been proven..He got shot up with cortizone and whatever else to play..The epitome of incompetence on past regime was him playing in meaningless Jacksonville game with famous fist pump and super bowl celebration at end..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Not really..He has a cannon..

He has a big arm yes but he’s not the only one or one of a few.  Big arms are out there. 

I do believe that he is going to be leaps and bounds better if he has to start next year.  I want luck back but think we’re ok if jacoby starts a few games 

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

It's been proven..He got shot up with cortizone and whatever else to play..The epitome of incompetence on past regime was him playing in meaningless Jacksonville game with famous fist pump and super bowl celebration at end..

That fist pump celebration at the end of the season was pretty hilarious. It was just over the top. Lol

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

He has a big arm yes but he’s not the only one or one of a few.  Big arms are out there. 

I do believe that he is going to be leaps and bounds better if he has to start next year.  I want luck back but think we’re ok if jacoby starts a few games 

Its the few games part that kills me

.Yes, Luck is better if 100%, but Brissett has real tools..His weakness is reading and reacting..I want to see him in a good offense with good coach with full offaeason before I say he is just a good backup I think he can be a Top QB in this league skills wise..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Its the few games part that kills me

.Yes, Luck is better if 100%, but Brissett has real tools..His weakness is reading and reacting..I want to see him in a good offense with good coach with full offaeason before I say he is just a good backup I think he can be a Top QB in this league skills wise..

Luck is better if at 80% but Brissett just had nearly a full season of starts.  The game will be slowing down for him and he be so much better for it if needed next year. I like the way he plays. 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Luck is better if at 80% but Brissett just had nearly a full season of starts.  The game will be slowing down for him and he be so much better for it if needed next year. I like the way he plays. 

Luck is better than majority at 80% but dont indict Brissett for it..The Luck u have in your memory probably won't reappear at that level..