Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OC and DC?

IndyScribe

6 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I'm surprised Dave Toub isn't our HC yet.

As of right now there is no acknowledgement that we have even asked for permission to talk to him.    We are all expecting it to happen...    but we're still waiting....

Curious....

33 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I do believe that adding Assistant Head Coach as part of a Coordinators title is, in fact, a promotion in the NFL's eyes.

Nope. This was discussed heavily last weekend. The NFL rule book deems all coaches that do not have the title of head coach as assistants all on the same tier. A team can have as many assistants as it wants, or as few as it wants. But they are all assistants. 

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Ok, but not sure why one would be "all in" on a guy who sounds like Ted monachino 2 rather than a proven D.C.

I suppose the line of thinking on that would be similar to the HC conundrum, that any truly attractive/can't fail candidate would most likely be employed with a competitive team, & then even more so with proven DCs who are also being considered for potential HC vacancies.

So therefore, under that line of thinking, I guess you start looking at the successful/up & coming position coaches to make the jump...

Who knows, I'm not big on all the ins & outs of the rules about when & how the coaching interview or promotion process goes, but Holcomb may not even get a chance to be courted by other teams as he may be elevated to DC with Carolina, assuming Wilks gets a HC position...

22 hours ago, BOTT said:

Ok, but not sure why one would be "all in" on a guy who sounds like Ted monachino 2 rather than a proven D.C.

Wilks isn't really a proven DC (only having the job for one season)...and he is being interviewed for HC positions. Richard has had the job longer, but still an bit of an unknown. They both had to become DCs at some point.

I think Holcomb has a better track record than Monachino. But most importantly, he has worked with (and had success with the) the type of LBs that I want to use.

15 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I suppose the line of thinking on that would be similar to the HC conundrum, that any truly attractive/can't fail candidate would most likely be employed with a competitive team, & then even more so with proven DCs who are also being considered for potential HC vacancies.

So therefore, under that line of thinking, I guess you start looking at the successful/up & coming position coaches to make the jump...

Who knows, I'm not big on all the ins & outs of the rules about when & how the coaching interview or promotion process goes, but Holcomb may not even get a chance to be courted by other teams as he may be elevated to DC with Carolina, assuming Wilks gets a HC position...

Yeah...if Wilks gets a HC gig...I would assume Holcomb is next in line to be DC in CAR. OR he will go with Wilks to be his DC (like was speculated last season when McDermott got the BUF job).

So a lot would have to NOT happen for Holcomb to be available. He's just the guy that I want.

5 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I agree.  I’d look for the QB coach to come over as the OC and someone like Brian Flores the LB coach for DC.

So you are basically wanting 3 inexperienced and unproven coaches at the top of the chain for the Colts?  I think there has to be some experience added in there somewhere

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

And the world yawned

I looked up Del Rio's Wikipedia page & ran across this slightly humorous tidbit of info:

"Keep chopping wood"

The mantra "Keep chopping wood", introduced by Del Rio during the 2003 season, was intended to indicate how the team would slowly whittle away the huge obstacles in front of them. Del Rio placed a wooden stump and axe in the Jaguars' locker room as a symbol of his rallying cry.

That's at least worth an ironic chuckle.

Poor Pagano can't even take credit for 

Coining his own catchphrases...

10 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

So you are basically wanting 3 inexperienced and unproven coaches at the top of the chain for the Colts?  I think there has to be some experience added in there somewhere

No saying that’s who I want although I’d give Flores a look if he’s getting HC interviews.  The fact of the matter is there aren’t a ton of “proven” guys available.  Especially if our choice is McDaniels and we have to wait until after the super bowl to make the hire.

8 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

No saying that’s who I want although I’d give Flores a look if he’s getting HC interviews.  The fact of the matter is there aren’t a ton of “proven” guys available.  Especially if our choice is McDaniels and we have to wait until after the super bowl to make the hire.

Colts would have to wait to officially hire him, but I'm sure he could start putting his stafff together before then.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:08 PM, Buck Showalter said:

That and recently fired HC's. They're often very good coordinators, but not good HC's and are usually the safer bets. With a younger HC (if it is McDaniels), I'd prefer him to have at least an experienced DC (like LA did with bringing in Wade Phillips as DC for the young rookie HC McDermott).

5 hours ago, Shive said:

That and recently fired HC's. They're often very good coordinators, but not good HC's and are usually the safer bets. With a younger HC (if it is McDaniels), I'd prefer him to have at least an experienced DC (like LA did with bringing in Wade Phillips as DC for the young rookie HC McDermott).

* young rookie HC McVay

However, McDermott also hired an experienced OC, to the side of the ball that is not his expertise, in Rick Dennison.

31 minutes ago, Finball said:

* young rookie HC McVay

However, McDermott also hired an experienced OC, to the side of the ball that is not his expertise, in Rick Dennison.

Based on the success of McVay, I wonder if Nagy goes into Chicago and does a great job, with the NFL being a copycat league, do we see no NFL head coaches over the age of 45 after next year! (.....aside from Belichik!).

3 hours ago, Finball said:

* young rookie HC McVay

That's what I get for posting at 2 am... Definitely meant McVay.