Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Trade talks involving WR DONTE MONCRIEF

MikChiken

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

My point is even if a team calls I'm sure we will ask for too much we still think we can win lmao

I've not heard that we're shopping any of them around. Only that teams are interested.

In that scenario, you ask too much. You make the deal if they offer (agree to) too much.

They don't, and you're none the worse off.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I've not heard that we're shopping any of them around. Only that teams are interested.

In that scenario, you ask too much. You make the deal if they offer (agree to) too much.

They don't, and you none the worse off.

Eh, if the player isn't in your future plans, may as well get what you can for him, as opposed to getting zilch when he becomes a UFA. Gore, Davis, & Moncrief all fall into that category IMO.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Because even with Luck on the sidelines, TY's on pace for his 1,000 yards, yet we still suck.

Thst should tell you just how important Luck is to the success of the Colts.    

Honestly when most teams lose their starting QB, the team struggles.   The combination of no Luck and not great talent is crushing.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thst should tell you just how important Luck is to the success of the Colts.    

Honestly ehen hen most teams lose their starting QB, the team struggles.   The combination of no Leck and not great talent is crushing.

While in transition, we experienced the perfect storm.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

One small correction. Our record will be 2-8 in a couple of weeks. It is currently 2-6 (Really not much difference though). :)

I would like to interject my thoughts, and this seems like a good place to join in. 

There is no doubt that Andrew Luck sitting on the sidelines has had an impact on the teams production, and consequently the win/loss record. That said, I don't believe it should be a good reason for the teams' 2-6 record (likely to finish 2-14). 

There's plenty of blame to go around. For the past 20 years, we have been a team that heavily depended on elite quarterback play. We need to build this team to win with any of the quarterbacks we have on the roster. Having an elite quarterback should be the icing on the cake. Granted, this is easier said than done.

It is tough for me to give any player or coach a pass based on Luck's injury. True, great players (like Luck) make others around him better. However, this is the NFL, and players (not named Luck) need to step up when adversity hits. We cannot keep asking him to carry this team on his back.

Even without Luck, Moncrief and TY need to get open, and haul in around 5 or so passes each a game. Unfortunately they're barely combining for 5 receptions a game.

My recent posts might sound like I am not treating everyone fairly, especially Chris Ballard. After all, he is in his first year as GM. That said, I don't believe our expectations should ever change this drastically due to one player getting hurt. Andrew Luck, can lead a bad team to 8 wins or so a year. What if this team was good enough to win 8 games a season without him? Then we would really have something. What if the team was good enough to win 10 games a season without Andrew Luck? Now we're talking Super Bowl's. 

I believe that our perceptions are almost always intertwined with our expectations. I believe having the great Peyton Manning, and unbelievable talented Andrew Luck, has inadvertently created an atmosphere for Colts fans, in which we don't hold the other 52 players and coaches properly accountable.

Just my two cents. :)

I appreciate the correction on my math.     (Though I fear I will be right in two weeks...   I'd rather not be)

I think we're all seeing what a poor job Grigson did and just how long it will be for Ballard to fix things.   

As I've noted in other threads,  we're going to have all this money to spend this off-season,  and very few players worth buying.      It's sharping up to be a dreadful FA class.     Now, it will get better...   some teams will cast off some players that may surprise and hopefully Ballard snaps them up.      But the pickings will still be slim.

This is me saying that a year from now,   while I expect us to be better,  I fear we're not going to be as good as the fan base would like and expect.     I fear we stand a roughly 50/50 chance of NOT making the playoffs and that would be four straight years.       This will not be a fun place if that happens and that is my fear.    

And that assumes Luck comes back next year healthy and looking like the Andrew Luck we love, if not better.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate the correction on my math.     (Though I fear I will be right in two weeks...   I'd rather not be)

I think we're all seeing what a poor job Grigson did and just how long it will be for Ballard to fix things.   

As I've noted in other threads,  we're going to have all this money to spend this off-season,  and very few players worth buying.      It's sharping up to be a dreadful FA class.     Now, it will get better...   some teams will cast off some players that may surprise and hopefully Ballard snaps them up.      But the pickings will still be slim.

This is me saying that a year from now,   while I expect us to be better,  I fear we're not going to be as good as the fan base would like and expect.     I fear we stand a roughly 50/50 chance of NOT making the playoffs and that would be four straight years.       This will not be a fun place if that happens and that is my fear.    

And that assumes Luck comes back next year healthy and looking like the Andrew Luck we love, if not better.

I mostly agree. 

I think that a healthy Andrew Luck can carry any NFL team to a winning record. My fear is we won't do enough to improve this team, and a healthy Luck wins 9 games for us next year. Too many people will give the wrong people credit for the turnaround. I believe you can put Luck on the Browns and they would win 9 games. No one should get "credit" for Luck being healthy.

An average team with a healthy Andrew Luck would make the playoffs every single year. 

I think that is how we get in these messes to begin with. As a fan base, I believe we need to change our expectations, and also change the way we grade these GM's who have generation QB's on their roster. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think that is how we get in these messes to begin with. As a fan base, I believe we need to change our expectations, and also change the way we grade these GM's who have generation QB's on their roster. 

Ok I can kind of get where you're coming from, but bigger question...what is that going to do?  How is that going to help anything?  How fans set their expectations and grade GMs doesn't matter to anyone other than those fans.  

6 minutes ago, J@son said:

Ok I can kind of get where you're coming from, but bigger question...what is that going to do?  How is that going to help anything?  How fans set their expectations and grade GMs doesn't matter to anyone other than those fans.  

I believe as a fan base we have to be more critical of the other 52 players, coaches, and front office personnel on this team.

We cannot give anyone a pass when our quarterback goes down. We should not have to accept defeat because we lose one player. It is one player, and too many people are okay using the excuse that Andrew Luck is hurt. We are not losing 14 games (or close to it) this year because of Andrew Luck being hurt. We are going to lose a ton of games this season because this franchise has made terrible decision after another for quite some time now. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe as a fan base we have to be more critical of the other 52 players and coaches on this team.

We cannot give anyone a pass when our quarterback goes down. We should not have to accept defeat because we lose one player. It is one player, and too many people are okay using the excuse that Andrew Luck is hurt. We are not losing 14 games (or close to it) this year because of Andrew Luck being hurt. We are going to lose a ton of games this season because this franchise has made terrible decision after another for quite some time now. 

I'm obviously over simplifying, but I'm sure you'll somewhat agree that part of our problem over the years was having and relying way to heavily on our QB's.

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I believe as a fan base we have to be more critical of the other 52 players, coaches, and front office personnel on this team.

but again, what good is that actually going to do?  That's not going to affect what actually happens with the team at all.  it's not going to force Irsay to start making different types of decisions.  

I'm fully behind your idea that it's better to build a complete team rather than build around a star QB.  The simple fact right now though remains that that his how Grigson tried to build this team.  So right now, that is the situation and there's nothing we, as fans, can do about it.  That's why I think a lot of people argued against you in another thread when you kept putting the team's current situation on Ballard.  The team is still built in Grigson's image.  Ballard was never going to be able to come in and change that overnight.  So in assigning blame to Ballard, you are blaming him for Grigson's mistakes.  There was only so much Ballard was going to be able to do this past offseason, but in that offseason he did turn over half of the roster.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he gets no blame whatsoever..but the amount of blame on him would be minimal imo.

I was one of the few that was actually mostly disappointed with the 2012 draft right after it happened.  I did not like that they spent so many picks on skill positions.  I'd have much rather drafted talented young offensive linemen (of which there were many in that particular draft) to grow with Luck rather than skill players.  I'm really hoping that's what Ballard's approach will be.  

22 minutes ago, J@son said:

but again, what good is that actually going to do?  That's not going to affect what actually happens with the team at all.  it's not going to force Irsay to start making different types of decisions.  

I'm fully behind your idea that it's better to build a complete team rather than build around a star QB.  The simple fact right now though remains that that his how Grigson tried to build this team.  So right now, that is the situation and there's nothing we, as fans, can do about it.  That's why I think a lot of people argued against you in another thread when you kept putting the team's current situation on Ballard.  The team is still built in Grigson's image.  Ballard was never going to be able to come in and change that overnight.  So in assigning blame to Ballard, you are blaming him for Grigson's mistakes.  There was only so much Ballard was going to be able to do this past offseason, but in that offseason he did turn over half of the roster.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he gets no blame whatsoever..but the amount of blame on him would be minimal imo.

I was one of the few that was actually mostly disappointed with the 2012 draft right after it happened.  I did not like that they spent so many picks on skill positions.  I'd have much rather drafted talented young offensive linemen (of which there were many in that particular draft) to grow with Luck rather than skill players.  I'm really hoping that's what Ballard's approach will be.  

I believe it's important to have an educated fan base. 

This is no longer Ryan Grigson's team. Hardly anyone on his defense is even here. We might have about 5-10% of the players leftover from Grigson's era come final cut day in 2018.

I see Chris Ballard as a Bill Polian type. Build within the draft and keep your own. If he can draft well, and construct a coaching staff who will develop players then we could have a very bright future.

That said, this season is on Chris Ballard. He is the person at the top who makes the decisions. We are going to finish 2-14 (or close to it) under the leadership of Chris Ballard.