Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-Line question

nerukamo

Quick question on the o-line. Why aren't we running with the same lineup as the end of last year? From what I saw against the team towards the end of the year looked promising with Haeg and Clark at RG and RT respectfully, but then against the Rams this past sunday, it seemed that Good was at RT and Mewhort was at RG.

1 hour ago, nerukamo said:

Quick question on the o-line. Why aren't we running with the same lineup as the end of last year? From what I saw against the team towards the end of the year looked promising with Haeg and Clark at RG and RT respectfully, but then against the Rams this past sunday, it seemed that Good was at RT and Mewhort was at RG.

Mewhort was originally moved to RG to help even out the right side of the line, by having a solid vet beside an inexperienced Clark at RT and moving Haeg beside an experienced vet in Costanzo. Haeg looked to be the starting LG until recently, and Vujnovich seemed to have the RT job. Not sure what happened but the coaches made more switches early last week, giving Good the RT job, moving Vujnovich to LG and demoting Haeg to our 6th lineman. Seems like an odd choice given the lack of time for them get practice reps together and gel, but not putting players in the position to succeed seems to be the norm with our coaches. 

2 hours ago, nerukamo said:

For reasons that are unclear,   Clark seems to have regressed at RT.     My speculation is that Clark got over confident that the job was his and took the job for granted.    But, again,  no inside info.    It's just the only thing that makes sense to me.

As for Haeg....   two possibilities....   or perhaps a combincation....    he's slightly injured....   or the coaching staff sees him more in the Joe Reitz slot where he can fill in at any position no matter who gets hurt.     So, perhaps both?  

This is all hugely disappointing....      after the line was seemingly settled,   we now have 4 spots different in G1 of the 2017 than we did in the final game of the 17 season.      Very, frustrating and disappointing....

4 hours ago, nerukamo said:

Good played the best out of all our linemen at rt 

Incredibly frustrating.

We close off last year with improvements on the line in last few weeks, we go into OTA's with everyone talking up the solid, young group we now have and how much they are gelling as a unit, Irsay coming out saying the O-line is "fixed" and then, as soon as pre season game one comes around, it all goes up in the air.

We have to find out our best line from the guys we have, and its embarrassing that, having had 6 months to figure out what that is, we go into week 2 still guessing who will play and where.

My view on the oline, 

LT CONSTANZO was his normal self not great not , not horrible slightly above average 

Lg was weak since the moved mewhort to rg ,

C was horrible but undrafted rookie we asked alot of him 

Rg mewhort was bad he had a tuff day 

They tried to balance the line by moving a really good Lg to rg and they made both positions bad. 

Rt good did the best job out of all the linemen that 25lbs he said he lost had him moving better. 

But I see things getting better when by the time luck is back Kelly will be back and mewhort maybe back to form so we will be looking at Lg and the main issue 

2 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

My view on the oline, 

LT CONSTANZO was his normal self not great not , not horrible slightly above average 

Lg was weak since the moved mewhort to rg ,

C was horrible but undrafted rookie we asked alot of him 

Rg mewhort was bad he had a tuff day 

They tried to balance the line by moving a really good Lg to rg and they made both positions bad. 

Rt good did the best job out of all the linemen that 25lbs he said he lost had him moving better. 

But I see things getting better when by the time luck is back Kelly will be back and mewhort maybe back to form so we will be looking at Lg and the main issue 

I thought Bond played fairly well on Sunday.  A couple of errant snaps but aside from that did a solid enough job and certainly wouldn't describe him as being horrible.