Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1,000 players to be released on Sept. 1

oldunclemark

This is the first year for this, right?

Only one cut down day.....after the final exhibition games on Aug. 31..

I think the actual number is 1,132 players...all must be cut before noon Saturday Sept. 2..as the rosters get down to 53 from 90

So Friday afternoon,  there's going to be more boys looking for teams than at Little League signup day

.You cut your 35-40 guys.......then pick up five others and cut five more..and everybody's going to be doing that?

That's going to be a wild, wild day.

Does everybody like this?

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Dang, that's a ton. There will be some good players in there that the Colts can pick up. 

There has to be, right?

But we have to be ready because this is going to happen VERY quickly.

You have to have a league-wide list of who you want right now, dont you?

Edited by oldunclemark

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't think any cuts now will lessen the releases on Friday.

.... all teams still have to cut at least 37 guys on Sept. 1.....because they'll need to keep full rosters for the final preseason games so the vets don't have to play.

..Every team is in the same boat

Very true but 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, oldunclemark said:

I think the actual number is 1,132 players...all must be cut before noon Saturday Sept. 2..as the rosters get down to 53 from 90

So Friday afternoon,  there's going to be more boys looking for teams than at Little League signup day

.You cut your 35-40 guys.......then pick up five others and cut five more..and everybody's going to be doing that?

I don't mind it. I think it helps because it gives teams more guys to finish up that preseason 4 game and not risk their 53 man guys as much. Front offices will definitely be very very busy....but I'm sure they have targeted 3 or 4 guys on each team and if they don't get cut they just move on. Definitely chaotic I would say. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it works out. What isn't as good is guys that get cut have no shot to pick up with another team and have much time at all to learn a new system. I think you will see a very very busy waiver wire....poor NFL office people having to process all that at once....that's who gets shafted.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:43 AM, oldunclemark said:

If everyone has a full roster, I count 37 cuts per team.  Times 32 teams 

1,184 players released.  

Of course there will be some shuffling as other teams will pick up some of the players released and release players that had made their initial roster.  

Then 320 will get practice squad spots.