Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Happy Birthday Marvin Harrison

TKnight24

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I still dont get why they say Rice is the GOAT at WR, Marvin is on par if not better in a ton of ways

It is quite understandable why most think Rice is the GOAT receiver. They are looking at the longevity  of his career over Marvin. The numbers show that Marvin was the leader in stats when it comes to numbers put up when on the field when compared to production.

It is beyond me why Marvin is not brought up in those conversations. IMO it is because the 49ers had a dynasty and the Colts didn't.

With that said the media has had a negative attitude aimed at the Colts that goes all the way back to Bob Irsay. It has continued with Jim and still goes on today. In the media's eyes the Colts are the black sheep team of the league. I wont list all the reasons as we as Colts fans know especially the long time Colt fans.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It is quite understandable why most think Rice is the GOAT receiver. They are looking at the longevity  of his career over Marvin. The numbers show that Marvin was the leader in stats when it comes to numbers put up when on the field when compared to production.

It is beyond me why Marvin is not brought up in those conversations. IMO it is because the 49ers had a dynasty and the Colts didn't.

With that said the media has had a negative attitude aimed at the Colts that goes all the way back to Bob Irsay. It has continued with Jim and still goes on today. In the media's eyes the Colts are the black sheep team of the league. I wont list all the reasons as we as Colts fans know especially the long time Colt fans.

By my eye test, there are really 5 WR's that have stood out to me to make me say WOW almost every week, that is Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Randy Moss, Art Monk, and Marv! Marv is right in with those other 4 IMO. Throw Cris Carter in there too.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By my eye test, there are really 5 WR's that have stood out to me to make me say WOW almost every week, that is Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Randy Moss, Art Monk, and Marv! Marv is right in with those other 4 IMO. Throw Cris Carter in there too.

This is true. There was a back log of receivers who had hall of fame numbers but were put on hold for quite a while.

Harrison had one of the best lines when asked why he goes 100% every practice.  He said "they pay me to practice, the games are just for fun."

Actually I probably should not put quotes around that because I'm not sure if that is exactly what he said.

Lastly, the year he had 143 receptions, I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember he had more 1st down receptions than the #3 WR in the league had total receptions.  It was unreal he had like 98 or 99 1st down catches and the #3 WR in the league had like 97 total receptions.

That is the stuff of legend.

ok, I just looked it up, "They pay you to practice, the games you play for free."

Edited by Coffeedrinker

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. He was really great. I haven't went real old school like 60's/70's but I know Raymond Berry was really great too. Lynn Swann was in SB's lmao 

Tim Brown also deserves an honorable mention. I always thought he was as good as any receiver during his playing days but he was stuck with a couple of not so great QBs in his career. It's also funny him and Rice teamed together at Oakland.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Tim Brown also deserves an honorable mention. I always thought he was as good as any receiver during his playing days but he was stuck with a couple of not so great QBs in his career. It's also funny him and Rice teamed together at Oakland.

Isaac Bruce was great too, hard to believe he isn't in the HOFame.

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

Nice today's my B-Day also.  Nice to have it on the same day as one of the greatest of all time Colts.

That is great company to share a birthday with M-432. Can you suit up & helps the Colts win this yr too? :P

All kidding aside, have fun today whatever you decide to do man, but not too much fun. LOL! 

You know what I mean. Like going out with your friends & 24 hours later you're waking up in a cell with stripper glitter all over you saying "I don't remember a darn thing & my head is throbbing."  Just Kidding! 

Yes, I know you're a fine, upstanding citizen M-432. I just like comically harassing regulars I like. :thmup:

Does Marvin still have a sweet tooth? We all indulge in junk food now & then of course. I just wonder what Harrison's favorite candy bar or guilty pleasure is these days.

I always remember Peyton saying that he didn't exactly treat his body like a temple in his prime. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Does Marvin still have a sweet tooth? We all indulge in junk food now & then of course. I just wonder what Harrison's favorite candy bar or guilty pleasure is these days.

I always remember Peyton saying that he didn't exactly treat his body like a temple in his prime. 

I think he had a sweet tooth for Tastykake from what I remember.