Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears, Broncos, QBs

oldunclemark

Denver won..24-17.

..Broncos may have found an RB......DeAngelo Henderson   5-foot-7..about 205

...very quick...and strong..7 carries, 54 yards..and maybe 20 yards in gains called back on penalties

Bronco QBs/  Same as last year..Siemian: Not great but steady...Lynch..Not good or ready

Edited by oldunclemark

Trubisky played well. He looked confident and poised. He made some nice throws. It is only one preseason game, but Bears fans do have a reason to be optimistic. 

It will be hilarious if the Bears actually have the last laugh on moving up to grab him. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Trubisky played well. He looked confident and poised. He made some nice throws. It is only one preseason game, but Bears fans do have a reason to be optimistic. 

It will be hilarious if the Bears actually have the last laugh on moving up to grab him. 

Glennon was 2-of-8....with an interception returned for TD....he was super bad

But I agree on Trubisky......he faced no complicated coverages but he made the throws...many on the run

Of his 7 incompletions...at least one was a drop and two were 'spikes' to stop the clock

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Glennon was 2-of-8....with an interception returned for TD....he was super bad

But I agree on Trubisky......he faced no complicated coverages but he made the throws...many on the run

Of his 7 incompletions...at least one was a drop and two were 'spikes' to stop the clock

Only one preseason game, but enough for Bears fans to be optimistic about Trubisky. 

The announcers didn't call it a drop in the end zone on 3rd down, but I did. 

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Too early.  Wait until game 3 and then how they fare.

No..it is what it is.   I know what you're saying.....

,,,but when you play.....you can have 2 outcomes...either good or bad...

If Trubisky was 7 of 25,,,,you wouldn't say: wait till week 3, right?.

For one game against Denver 2nd and 3rd stringers....Trubisky was good..very good. Glennon was very bad.

To be honest, I'd have bet it would be the other way around

Edited by oldunclemark

49 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Trubisky's college qualifications for last nights performance: one partial season. Amazing polish/poise/performance for someone with so limited a background. He outshined Watson in Houston.

Exactly.  That's what got me...He was very, very accurate..

Paxton Lynch played 3 years in college and has practiced in Denver for a year now and he's still overthrowing open receivers one out of 3 times

..again..some of those guys out there on defense for Denver last night will not be on a roster this year. Glennon faced the few Bronco starters who were playing..

But, like you say,  Trubisky has very little college experience.   He was 10-of-10 at one point...I sure didnt expect that

Bears may have a self inflicted problem here. Can Glennon be a $15 mil backup or do you still start him in 3 weeks?

Edited by oldunclemark

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

No..it is what it is.   I know what you're saying.....

,,,but when you play.....you can have 2 outcomes...either good or bad...

If Trubisky was 7 of 25,,,,you wouldn't say: wait till week 3, right?.

For one game against Denver 2nd and 3rd stringers....Trubisky was good..very good. Glennon was very bad.

To be honest, I'd have bet it would be the other way around

Teams aren't game planning right now, and they aren't  playing the 1's for long.  They are all playing the 50 or so players they have to select 13-20 to make the team.  Coaches aren't playing to win, they are playing folks for situations and evaluation.  Game 3 is the best look at the number 1's for game type scenarios. Usually first half and one drive after half time.  This gives the 1's a lot of reps and potential scenarios (4 minute or 2 minute drill, first drive after halftime, etc...). Real season has full game plans and opposing teams tape. 

All rookie QB's do better to start, until the DC's get tape on them and take away their strengths.  This is preseason, not real games  Speaking of which, when Tampa wasn't on the Josh Freeman and the Jameis Winston (good QB, IMO), Glennon got 18 starts and 21 games. Real games-

Att   Comp     %     TD     Int    Y/A    Rating

374    630    59.4   30      15    6.5     84.6

I say to Bears fans.. don't panic...  it will be fine.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

Trubisky's college qualifications for last nights performance: one partial season. Amazing polish/poise/performance for someone with so limited a background. He outshined Watson in Houston.

It was almost the same like Carson Wentz, not a great resume in college but Wentz translated fine to the NFL so far, I expect the same with Trubisky. 

Your talent evaluation has to be done differently for NFL QBs now that more college QBs play the spread.

15 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Teams aren't game planning right now, and they aren't  playing the 1's for long.  They are all playing the 50 or so players they have to select 13-20 to make the team.  Coaches aren't playing to win, they are playing folks for situations and evaluation.  Game 3 is the best look at the number 1's for game type scenarios. Usually first half and one drive after half time.  This gives the 1's a lot of reps and potential scenarios (4 minute or 2 minute drill, first drive after halftime, etc...). Real season has full game plans and opposing teams tape. 

All rookie QB's do better to start, until the DC's get tape on them and take away their strengths.  This is preseason, not real games  Speaking of which, when Tampa wasn't on the Josh Freeman and the Jameis Winston (good QB, IMO), Glennon got 18 starts and 21 games. Real games-

Att   Comp     %     TD     Int    Y/A    Rating

374    630    59.4   30      15    6.5     84.6

I say to Bears fans.. don't panic...  it will be fine.

Everything you say is correct...but you and I have seen debuts by rookie QBs.

Most are OK or average.  Some are super bad.

The 2s and 3s out there are desperate to make the team. They are less talented but highly motivated.

Trubisky, who is not someone I would have drafted in the first round,  did things with movement, footwork and accuracy that No. 1 choice and 3-year college player Paxton Lynch hasn't done in a year against any defense.

I'm not writing off Glennon.

But watch the tape again...Trubisky did things independent of the competition

..and  had he been bad, there would be no qualifications on that result.

He has other tests to pass, as you say, but he passed this one

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Everything you say is correct...but you and I have seen debuts by rookie QBs.

Most are OK or average.  Some are super bad.

The 2s and 3s out there are desperate to make the team. They are less talented but highly motivated.

Trubisky, who is not someone I would have drafted in the first round,  did things with movement, footwork and accuracy that No. 1 choice and 3-year college player Paxton Lynch hasn't done in a year against any defense.

I'm not writing off Glennon.

But watch the tape again...Trubisky did things independent of the competition

..and  had he been bad, there would be no qualifications on that result.

He has other tests to pass, as you say, but he passed this one

His journey has just begun, not reached the destination.  we'll chat about him later, whatever unfolds.

In any event, Mitchell Trubisky is as much the Bears QB1 as of right now as Patrick Mahomes is for the Chiefs. (Yes both looked great, but it is too early, still)

Glennon went against the Broncos starters.  Trubisky went against Broncos backup 2nd and 3rd string players.  Do not lose sight of that. When these rookie QB's have to play in real game situations against #1 opposing defenses, especially in regular season that were coached that week to capitalize on the rookies deficiencies and lack of experience, things will change.  He displayed talents that show he may well be worth the number 2 overall pick, not quite 1st team starter material... yet. Neither is Kyle Sloter, who looked good and rallied the Broncos back to beat the Bears.

I'm not saying that Trubisky will be a quality NFL QB.

I'm saying his debut went well.

I didnt want to draft him but you have to say what you see.

and lets clear something up...Glennon didnt really go against Bronco starters..

Von Miller, TJ Ward, Derek Wolfe and a couple of others didnt play at all

We've both said several times now that Trubisky was playing against 2nd and 3rd and 4th stringers.

But so did Paxton Lynch..who was ineffective..and should be at least adequate by now

Trubisky did things with his footwork, accuracy and timing that just isn't pertinent to the competition.

Watch what he did again when the NFL Net replays the game. You'll see what I mean

That trade wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. I'm not on the Trubisky train, but if he turns out even somewhat decent for them, then he'll be worth the trade.

Watch Cutler start lighting it up and win the MVP after leaving the Bears. That would be hilarious.

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Watch Cutler start lighting it up and win the MVP after leaving the Bears. That would be hilarious.

Cutler has never even made a Pro Bowl not once in his entire career and his stats are right on par with Jeff George. People seem to be forgetting how average he was as a QB in Chicago and how much they gave up for him to be average. Aaron Rodgers will get MVP #3 before Cutler even makes All Pro. 

5 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Cutler has never even made a Pro Bowl not once in his entire career and his stats are right on par with Jeff George. People seem to be forgetting how average he was as a QB in Chicago and how much they gave up for him to be average. Aaron Rodgers will get MVP #3 before Cutler even makes All Pro. 

Cutler did make the pro bowl in 2008-09. I can remember Manning threw him in a swimming pool and ruined his blood monitor. As of this year he holds 14 franchise Bear records. If you look at the records he holds in Chicago maybe you would find he wasn't as average as you think.

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Cutler did make the pro bowl in 2008-09. I can remember Manning threw him in a swimming pool and ruined his blood monitor. As of this year he holds 14 franchise Bear records. If you look at the records he holds in Chicago maybe you would find he wasn't as average as you think.

Josh Freeman holds all the records in Tampa Bay for passing too. All that goes to show is that Chicago has really had a history of crappy QB's. Probably their best QB they had back in the day was Harbaugh and he spent his better years in a Colts uniform. Same thing with Tampa Bay, since Freeman only played a few years and managed to take all their franchise passing records. Some teams have a real history of crappy QB play over decades. Before Drew Brees came to New Orleans, Aaron Brooks owned most of our passing records and he only played 5 years.

In the modern NFL, anyone can pass for inflated stats. Nick Foles threw for 7 TD's in one game and Matt Flynn had a similar performance back in 2011. Neither of them are going to be Hall of Famers when their careers are over. 

Cutler is the Jeff George of this generation...His stats are right on par with George, just as his crappy attitude always has been. He's an average quarterback, and always was despite his talent and the fact he truly could be better. Jeff George was super talented like him too and could throw beautiful bombs, but they usually went to defensive backs, and his crappy attitude is what got him ran out of so many teams. Cutler has a history of treating his team mates like garbage and complaining to the media, just like George always did. 

He still didn't make a Pro Bowl as the Bears quarterback. They gave up so much for him and all he did was make the playoffs once, and then sit himself out after getting hit a few times in the biggest game of his life. Cutler never was the QB to lead a team to the promise land. Denver realized this and they got rid of him despite all his talent. Chicago spent 8 years on him, and it's not like he hasn't had play makers around him to succeed. He's had weapons like Forte, Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall, and all that we remember is the epic curb stompings Green Bay used to give him. 

I don't know why everyone is so high on Cutler all of a sudden...When is the last time a team truly begged a QB to come out of retirement and they actually live up to the hype? Cutler didn't want to play anymore and his commitment to football is already being questioned in southern Florida since they're getting a real taste of his attitude. He'll get benched after throwing a dozen interceptions half way in the season long before he makes the pro bowl. 

8 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Josh Freeman holds all the records in Tampa Bay for passing too. All that goes to show is that Chicago has really had a history of crappy QB's. Probably their best QB they had back in the day was Harbaugh and he spent his better years in a Colts uniform. Same thing with Tampa Bay, since Freeman only played a few years and managed to take all their franchise passing records. Some teams have a real history of crappy QB play over decades. Before Drew Brees came to New Orleans, Aaron Brooks owned most of our passing records and he only played 5 years.

In the modern NFL, anyone can pass for inflated stats. Nick Foles threw for 7 TD's in one game and Matt Flynn had a similar performance back in 2011. 

Cutler is the Jeff George of this generation...His stats are right on par with George, just as his crappy attitude always has been. He's an average quarterback, and always was. Jeff George was super talented like him too and could throw beautiful bombs, but they usually went to defensive backs, and his crappy attitude is what got him ran out of so many teams. Cutler has a history of treating his team mates like garbage and complaining to the media, just like George always did. 

He still didn't make a Pro Bowl as the Bears quarterback. They gave up so much for him and all he did was make the playoffs once, and then sit himself out after getting hit a few times in the biggest game of his life. Cutler never was the QB to lead a team to the promise land. Denver realized this and they got rid of him despite all his talent. Chicago spent 8 years on him, and it's not like he hasn't had play makers around him to succeed. He's had weapons like Forte, Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall, and all that we remember is the epic curb stompings Green Bay used to give him. 

I don't know why everyone is so high on Cutler all of a sudden...When is the last time a team truly begged a QB to come out of retirement and they actually live up to the hype? Cutler didn't want to play anymore and his commitment to football is already being questioned in southern Florida since they're getting a real taste of his attitude. He'll get benched after throwing a dozen interceptions half way in the season long before he makes the pro bowl. 

I am not high on Cutler. But to hear you talk of him you act like he was pure junk and that was not the case. Did you even bother to take a look at any of his stats?

Somehow I don't think so.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, chad72 said:

It was almost the same like Carson Wentz, not a great resume in college but Wentz translated fine to the NFL so far, I expect the same with Trubisky. 

Your talent evaluation has to be done differently for NFL QBs now that more college QBs play the spread.

That's a very good comparison, Chad..

I thought the Bears ran roll-out plays with Trubisky they never ran with Cutler or Brian Hoyer

Edited by oldunclemark

Cutler went to Vanderbilt and got the Comms within a play of beating the then powerhouse Florida Gators in a 42-49 game he set records in. That's his career in a nutshell, even though so many years are in between that game and now. He got 0 breaks. If they can just keep him from being piledriven not give up 49 points the Dolphins will win some games. Wasn't his last game a clinic against the top ranked defense (Vikings)?

Glennon and Trubinsky are in a typical situation, which I believe is the best situation. Glennon is the starter until he sucks bad enough to no longer be the starter. That means losing 4 or 5 straight regular season games, not throwing a pick in preseason. If that doesn't happen it means they're winning. If it does, Trubinsky will not have been fed to the wolves to early.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 9:34 PM, oldunclemark said:

Mike Glennon's 2nd pass as a Bear picked off and run back for a TD...

Mitch Trubisky's first appearance as a Bear...50-yard TD drive...

Just wanted to know if you saw today's "dress rehearsal" Bears/Titans game so far? Opneing drive... Glennon had a 15 play 96 yard TD scoring drive. He largely abused 1st rounder Adoree' Jackson most of the way down the field. Stats at the half-

Cmp/Att    Yds     TD     INT

M. Glennon            11/18       134        1       0
M. Mariota                7/13       106        0       0

Bears lead,   12    to     0

Mitchell Trubiskey's chance upcoming I would assume, either after the half, or after the first drive of the 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Just wanted to know if you saw today's "dress rehearsal" Bears/Titans game so far? Opneing drive... Glennon had a 15 play 96 yard TD scoring drive. He largely abused 1st rounder Adoree' Jackson most of the way down the field. Stats at the half-

Cmp/Att    Yds     TD     INT

M. Glennon            11/18       134        1       0
M. Mariota                7/13       106        0       0

Bears lead,   12    to     0

Mitchell Trubiskey's chance upcoming I would assume, either after the half, or after the first drive of the 2nd half.

I know it's still pre season and not to look into it too terribly much but TN looks BAAAAD

28 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I know it's still pre season and not to look into it too terribly much but TN looks BAAAAD

Tennessee has been projected by many to win the AFC South this year too...

But it's still early.  Too early for Trubisky to be crowned the starter, or the Titans to finish above the Colts, or below the Jags, etc...

13 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Lynch must be a complete bust that he loses the starting job again to Trevor something, who was down right awful last year. 

Siemian was far from Awful last season.   He started 14 games (first 14 of his career). 

Completed 60% of his passes.  18 TD's and 10 INT's.  85% QB rating.

I think any team would take that for a QB's 1st year starting. 

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Siemian was far from Awful last season.   He started 14 games (first 14 of his career). 

Completed 60% of his passes.  18 TD's and 10 INT's.  85% QB rating.

I think any team would take that for a QB's 1st year starting. 

That's judging him by his stats...He was awful in games last year. Take away that Denver defense, he would've had a 3-13 record. 

Any QB can have decent stats in today's pass happy era. Ryan Tannehill is terrible, and yet he puts up OK numbers too. 

2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

That's judging him by his stats...He was awful in games last year. Take away that Denver defense, he would've had a 3-13 record. 

Any QB can have decent stats in today's pass happy era. Ryan Tannehill is terrible, and yet he puts up OK numbers too. 

That is only partially true.   His number were very good for a first year starter.   Yes, he was "awful" at times, but he was also great at times.  

2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

But if you have a team with a very strong defense, and a good to great running game, you don't need (much) more than what Trevor Siemian or Ryan Tannehill can provide.  But if the defense falters, or the running game can't keep opposing defenses honest, then relying on your QB to rally for the W becomes problematic.

Every team wants the best players in the league at every position, D and O.  Problem is, the league is set up (draft order, waiver wire order, salary cap, etc...) to discourage that happening in the interest of 'competitive' balance. 

Elway has a QB project he is trying to develop while his team has many other strengths.  Trevor 'won' the QB battle this year.  Next year???