Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent List For 2012 Season Starting March 13

chad72

I bet he stays within California, and goes to the 49ers.

That's very possible too.

I've made a list of possible teams he could go to:

Chargers

49ers

Patriots

Panthers

Bills

Vikings

Rams

All teams have a #1 guy, but could use a solid #2 who is a deep threat. Jackson is a good #1 receiver, but he'd be an amazing #2 receiver, going up against #2 cornerbacks.

Bullitt is a competant starter. This is the guy who got 4 picks in his second to last healthy year. He gets 70+ tackles.

Bullitt has got to go, the guy has only played in 20 out of 48 games in the last 3 years. Never thought Bullitt was good, for some reason people seem to think he is because he had one good year (potential was there but has long since deteriorated due to injury). Not saying the guys terrible, but even when 100% healthy IMO he's not that good. There should be much better options through the draft, FA, or heck maybe even get a little lucky via UDFA. I would rather take a gamble on Sanders than Bullitt since they are both injury prone.

Not trying to hate on the guy, he seems like a good person and he CAN play very well sometimes when he's healthy. I've also seen him play terrible before, but I still wish the best for him whether he stays or goes.

Broderick Bunkley, if I'm not mistaken, was the highest rated DT in the league last year according to Pro Football Focus. He didn't have the sack numbers to show that dominance, so maybe he wouldn't be able to demand a huge contract. Running a Wade Phillips style D, he'd make for one bada$$ NT. I'd much rather sign him than Soliai, who I believe is somewhat overrated and might get lazy after his contract.

Guys unless we cut Peyton or do some major work on other contracts we aren't going to have money to dive into free agency. We have about 10 mil in cap space at the moment. That's probably going to go to garçon and Mathis. We can free up some more by extending Dwight and maybe tweaking Dallas's contract or releasing him but even if we do that I wouldn't look for us to go a major spending spree just because we don't have the money. Now if we release Peyton well you can get some nice players for the chunk of space he would free up even with the cap hit.

That's why I am not sure how long we can push his date back if we do. Having him or not having him on the roster will have a major impact in what we can do in free agency.

Guys unless we cut Peyton or do some major work on other contracts we aren't going to have money to dive into free agency. We have about 10 mil in cap space at the moment. That's probably going to go to garçon and Mathis. We can free up some more by extending Dwight and maybe tweaking Dallas's contract or releasing him but even if we do that I wouldn't look for us to go a major spending spree just because we don't have the money. Now if we release Peyton well you can get some nice players for the chunk of space he would free up even with the cap hit.

That's why I am not sure how long we can push his date back if we do. Having him or not having him on the roster will have a major impact in what we can do in free agency.

This.

Paul Soliai is also extremely expensive making over 11 million dollars this last year. I think the Fins could still resign him but ask him to play as a 4-3 NT. If they do release him, I would be for him coming, but it would have to be for a cheap price.

He actually made $12.38 mill because he was franchised. Also, they don't have to release him, he is a UFA and they have said they won't tag him or sign him to a long term deal. I'm not sure exactly what sort of deal he is after, and I'm not saying and don't think we will sign him because he will most likely be commanding a hefty salary. It was more of a he is the best NT in FA and could be an anchor for the new style of D.

Bullitt is a competant starter. This is the guy who got 4 picks in his second to last healthy year. He gets 70+ tackles. I just don't think with the PM situation it's good to start spending money in the FA. Just keep Bullitt for now, and draft a guy in the middle rounds.

I think we have had a discussion about Bullitt before. Suffice it to say that for the 4 INTs you can point out, I could point more examples than I can count of him taking terrible angles to the ball and/or missing tackles. It is absolutely necessary that a SS, particularly in the Colts former style of D, does not do this. He also has a chronic shoulder condition, has little upside, and is not even close to being an impact player in the NFL. Maybe he can improve with better coaching, but he has regressed from year to year. I don't have a problem not playing FA...I'm not sure what the role of SS is in Pagano's D...but Bullitt is a liability at SS and needs to be replaced by a better option whether it be FA, Caldwell/Lefeged, and/or a rookie. However, since he is still due about $2.7 million of his signing bonus, the Colts would only save about $1 million by cutting him this year. We can agree to disagree on the type of player he is and what his role should be...

He actually made $12.38 mill because he was franchised. Also, they don't have to release him, he is a UFA and they have said they won't tag him or sign him to a long term deal. I'm not sure exactly what sort of deal he is after, and I'm not saying and don't think we will sign him because he will most likely be commanding a hefty salary. It was more of a he is the best NT in FA and could be an anchor for the new style of D.

I think we have had a discussion about Bullitt before. Suffice it to say that for the 4 INTs you can point out, I could point more examples than I can count of him taking terrible angles to the ball and/or missing tackles. It is absolutely necessary that a SS, particularly in the Colts former style of D, does not do this. He also has a chronic shoulder condition, has little upside, and is not even close to being an impact player in the NFL. Maybe he can improve with better coaching, but he has regressed from year to year. I don't have a problem not playing FA...I'm not sure what the role of SS is in Pagano's D...but Bullitt is a liability at SS and needs to be replaced by a better option whether it be FA, Caldwell/Lefeged, and/or a rookie. However, since he is still due about $2.7 million of his signing bonus, the Colts would only save about $1 million by cutting him this year. We can agree to disagree on the type of player he is and what his role should be...

He and Moala really grind my gears. They are both terrible and so overrated by hometown folks. They both should be cut, bullitt flat out sucks, I was pleading for Whitner or pollard this past offseason. Pollard signed a three year deal worth 3 million dollars, yet bullitt makes 3 million a season? Colts over pay for their own.. This needs to change.

He and Moala really grind my gears. They are both terrible and so overrated by hometown folks. They both should be cut, bullitt flat out sucks, I was pleading for Whitner or pollard this past offseason. Pollard signed a three year deal worth 3 million dollars, yet bullitt makes 3 million a season? Colts over pay for their own.. This needs to change.

I couldn't agree more and was so furious we when we passed on both of them to sign Bullitt for essentially the same amt. of $.... particularly considering his history of injuries to the same shoulder. I mean, Sanders was finally cut and we replaced him with another player who had an ongoing injury when we could of spent the same amount of money on healthy players who are superior to Bullitt....silly decision.

I couldn't agree more and was so furious we when we passed on both of them to sign Bullitt for essentially the same amt. of $.... particularly considering his history of injuries to the same shoulder. I mean, Sanders was finally cut and we replaced him with another player who had an ongoing injury when we could of spent the same amount of money on healthy players who are superior to Bullitt....silly decision.

Whitner would have cost the same, but he is talented and puts the wood in people! Pollard makes one million a season! He was a steal! A third of what bullitt costs and three times the player! The colts need to sign guys like pollard to deals like that, impact players who excel at their position and do their job well. I can think of some at every position this offseason who could come at an affordable price and help better the team.

Whitner would have cost the same, but he is talented and puts the wood in people! Pollard makes one million a season! He was a steal! A third of what bullitt costs and three times the player! The colts need to sign guys like pollard to deals like that, impact players who excel at their position and do their job well. I can think of some at every position this offseason who could come at an affordable price and help better the team.

Preaching to the choir. This write up from 18to88 is a perfect example of how bad he is: http://18to88.com/20...he-bullitt.html. I love this part: "Melvin Bullitt is not good. In fact, he's not average. He's bad. He blew a coverage. He took a bad angle. He missed a hole. He blew a tackle. That's about as bad as it gets for a safety. Safety was the Colts #1 need last offseason, and it still is." This was after the Cleveland game, btw.

On topic, let's get Landry for the right price since he's been injured the last two years, cut Bullitt, and ensure there is young talent behind Landry.

Preaching to the choir. This write up from 18to88 is a perfect example of how bad he is: http://18to88.com/20...he-bullitt.html. I love this part: "Melvin Bullitt is not good. In fact, he's not average. He's bad. He blew a coverage. He took a bad angle. He missed a hole. He blew a tackle. That's about as bad as it gets for a safety. Safety was the Colts #1 need last offseason, and it still is." This was after the Cleveland game, btw.

On topic, let's get Landry for the right price since he's been injured the last two years, cut Bullitt, and ensure there is young talent behind Landry.

I would love him here, I think alit depends on the draft and the defensive scheme. If the 3-4 switch is made a NT in free agency should be a priority, I like Aubrayo Franlkin proven 3-4 NT would come cheap or even McKinney. At SS I like someone like Matt Daniels from Duke as a late pick and a veteran like Bob Sanders brought back at the veteran minimum.. That's risky haha!

A lot of posters, myself included, wanted the Colts to try to sign Whitner and he was a good player for SF. But then you mention Pollard as if he's a good safety. Pollard is a lousy safety... He is one dimensional like Bullitt. Bullitt is good in coverage, lousy in run support, Pollard is good in run support and lousy in coverage.

A lot of posters, myself included, wanted the Colts to try to sign Whitner and he was a good player for SF. But then you mention Pollard as if he's a good safety. Pollard is a lousy safety... He is one dimensional like Bullitt. Bullitt is good in coverage, lousy in run support, Pollard is good in run support and lousy in coverage.

I would rather have pollard who is as good in coverage if not better than bullitt who can't cover or do anything for that matter, and have paid him the third of bullitts salary. SS are suppose to be in the box type players and physical, pollard is three times the player bullitt is at least. Don't judge him from that lousey secondary Houston had two years ago. I live in Baltimore and watched him all year he is a quality player.

I would rather have pollard who is as good in coverage if not better than bullitt who can't cover or do anything for that matter, and have paid him the third of bullitts salary. SS are suppose to be in the box type players and physical, pollard is three times the player bullitt is at least. Don't judge him from that lousey secondary Houston had two years ago. I live in Baltimore and watched him all year he is a quality player.

I'm not judging him by his time in Houston, I'm judging him by everytime I have watched him play and since my wife is a Chiefs fan that has been quite a bit over his career.

As far as a third of Bullitt's salary that is just not true. Pollard made 1.25 this past season plus he will get a 500K bonus that is 1.75 for the season. Bullitt was 1.7 million for the season. You can try to mention the overall contracts but that doesn't carry much weight because NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

And if you really think Pollard is as good in coverage as Bullitt then it's not really worth discussing anymore because that just shows your bias against Bullitt does not allow you to see things as they are.

I'm not judging him by his time in Houston, I'm judging him by everytime I have watched him play and since my wife is a Chiefs fan that has been quite a bit over his career.

As far as a third of Bullitt's salary that is just not true. Pollard made 1.25 this past season plus he will get a 500K bonus that is 1.75 for the season. Bullitt was 1.7 million for the season. You can try to mention the overall contracts but that doesn't carry much weight because NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

And if you really think Pollard is as good in coverage as Bullitt then it's not really worth discussing anymore because that just shows your bias against Bullitt does not allow you to see things as they are.

Or that your bias to bullitt doesn't allow you to see how terrible he is all around?

Actually, what you said isn't true either: Bullitt had a base salary of $1.7 mill and $1.3 million of his $4 mill signing bonus as his 2011 cap hit...so his total was about $3 million, which is a little less than twice Pollard's salary. Also, the next two years, Bullitt will be making $3.7 million/year with $2.7 of that guaranteed. (See here: http://www.spotrac.c...melvin-bullitt/). That is waaaaay to much, and I would take Pollard's two year deal in a heart beat over Bullitt's three year deal. I agree Pollard isn't elite, but he is better than Bullitt, especially for the money. Paying Bullitt almost $4 mill per year in 2012 and 2013 is ridiculous and bordering on, if not, foolish.

Actually, what you said isn't true either: Bullitt had a base salary of $1.7 mill and $1.3 million of his $4 mill signing bonus as his 2011 cap hit...so his total was about $3 million, which is a little less than twice Pollard's salary. Also, the next two years, Bullitt will be making $3.7 million/year with $2.7 of that guaranteed. (See here: http://www.spotrac.c...melvin-bullitt/). That is waaaaay to much, and I would take Pollard's two year deal in a heart beat over Bullitt's three year deal. I agree Pollard isn't elite, but he is better than Bullitt, especially for the money. Paying Bullitt almost $4 mill per year in 2012 and 2013 is ridiculous and bordering on, if not, foolish.

Cap hit is different than salary. And i agree I think Bullitt was overpaid. That doesn't mean Pollard is a good safety.

Cap hit is different than salary. And i agree I think Bullitt was overpaid. That doesn't mean Pollard is a good safety.

I know, but you added in the bonus to Pollard's salary, which is cap hit not salary, so I was clarifying your position on Bullitt and adding in his signing bonus which was allocated towards 2011. And cap hit, not just salary, is what matters.

Here's to Bullitt being overpaid!

I know, but you added in the bonus to Pollard's salary, which is cap hit not salary, so I was clarifying your position on Bullitt and adding in his signing bonus which was allocated towards 2011. And cap hit, not just salary, is what matters.

Here's to Bullitt being overpaid!

Thanks. I couldn't find signing bonus info in my quick search. The only thing I found was that he earned 1.7 million.

What about Eagles WR Steve Smith? Grigson had a part to play in him going to Philly didn't he?

We already have one slot wideout in Blair White returning from IR and an excellent one in Collie, Steve Smith would be the wrong kind of WR for us. Outside is where we need to retain Garcon for and possibly get a couple more targets (one red zone target and one an outside threat). I think Robert Meachem and Garcon can be had for similar kind of money if we decide to part with Wayne. Something tells me Wayne is not finished yet, and that is my gut :(.