Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Mixon Evaluation

I happened to find this on YouTube just browsing through some videos.  I am really high on Mixon despite him hitting the girl, as I think he can learn from that, and would not put a solid NFL career in jeopardy. I am for drafting him in the 2nd, especially if we can acquire an extra 2nd round pick in a trade-back deal in the 1st round. 

I want him and think we could take him in the second, but I believe we should wait a little bit longer. Recent reports are stating that Mixon could fall out of the first 3 rounds, and one source even says he could go undrafted. Grab another defensive talent in the second and then look back into him in the third

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I want him and think we could take him in the second, but I believe we should wait a little bit longer. Recent reports are stating that Mixon could fall out of the first 3 rounds, and one source even says he could go undrafted. Grab another defensive talent in the second and then look back into him in the third

Agreed.  I really want Mixon, but we can have no shortage of additional defensive talents through the draft.  I really can't wait to see how the board falls. 

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I haven't seen anything saying he'll go undrafted or fall out of the first 3. All I've heard is nobody will pick him in the 1st

The plot thickens... The letter from the dad alleging that Mixon pushed his daughter to the ground then hit her in High School was written to the lawyer of the girl he hit in the video after that incident. Who knows the legitimacy of the claim though, especially since he claims he went to the school and the school hid Mixon and brushed it all aside. I'm sorry, but if that happened to my daughter, the police would have been my first call, not complaining to the principal.

If found to be true, I'd actually have a hard time keeping him on my board, because that would show a pattern of behavior and not an isolated incident.

We'll see how it all pans out though..

19 minutes ago, Shive said:

The plot thickens... The letter from the dad alleging that Mixon pushed his daughter to the ground then hit her in High School was written to the lawyer of the girl he hit in the video after that incident. Who knows the legitimacy of the claim though, especially since he claims he went to the school and the school hid Mixon and brushed it all aside. I'm sorry, but if that happened to my daughter, the police would have been my first call, not complaining to the principal.

If found to be true, I'd actually have a hard time keeping him on my board, because that would show a pattern of behavior and not an isolated incident.

People really want this guy to be a football player..the one incident was enough for me to want nothing to do with him...others...well the guys really talented though :(

I came to the conclusion that he would be gone by our 2nd, but rumors like this one about him lasting past the 3rd often have legs.  I saw the report from a scout on rotoworld saying that.  I'm hopeful we could get him in the 2nd, but I'd pounce then., 

7 hours ago, Shive said:

This is disturbing and disappointing.

And it's a game changer for me.     I realize Mixon was even younger the first time than he was when he stepped on to the OU campus and hit the girl in the restaurant.  

But since that now appears to be the 2nd offense,  that would remove him from my list....    I'll let someone else draft him --- and he WILL be drafted --- and if it works out for the other team,  good for them.     I'm not taking that chance.      Not for me....

I'm surprised that the young girl's father waited so long to go public .    This is the first time I've heard about this.      And the Mixon story has been raging publcly for about 4 months now.      What was he waiting for?

Good luck to Mixon elsewhere.      I think he's there when we pick at 46....    and I know many here will be screaming for him.....     but I won't be one of them.      I will have moved on....

BREAKING NEWS:

The father of the young girl has now retracted his comments and says his daughter was never hurt by Joe Mixon. 

Here's the story....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/high-school-allegation-against-joe-mixon-was-recanted/

It's crazy season folks.....    lots of information flying around,  and not all of it is true...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

BREAKING NEWS:

The father of the young girl has now retracted his comments and says his daughter was never hurt by Joe Mixon. 

Here's the story....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/19/high-school-allegation-against-joe-mixon-was-recanted/

It's crazy season folks.....    lots of information flying around,  and not all of it is true...

So, you think that father's bank account saw a little bump recently?   

Either way, Facebook is the devil, to paraphrase Mama Boucher.   

• The Colts aren’t ruling out drafting Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon or any other prospect with an iffy past, according to rookie general manager Chris Ballard“Look, guys make mistakes,” he told reporters, including Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star“Tune out the noise. I don’t care what everybody else thinks and their opinions are. (We want to) make our opinions internally, do our work internally … it’s a case-by-case basis, and when we take a guy with issues, we have to have a plan for him to work. We have to have a plan for him to develop in-house, a plan for him to develop as a man.” Ballard also assured media that the Colts are going to take a best-player-available approach, saying, “Look, one thing we will not do: If there’s a player around (that we like), even if we’re loaded at the position, we’ll still take the player.”

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was thinking the same thing, although who knows what the hell really happened... At this point, if our guys do the leg work and still feel good about him, I'll be ok with it.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Either way, Facebook is the devil, to paraphrase Mama Boucher.   

Yup,   that was my first thought....   and if the check hasn't already been sent or cashed,   then it's been promised based on the upcoming signing bonus....

Suddenly this story really, really stinks to high Hell!

I'd still pass....     there are other good backs...     Yes,  no one like Mixon and we're going to have to tackle him,  but I'm no longer comfortable with the idea of drafting him.....

41 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

18 years old... Racial Slur... Woman assaulting him...  Forgiven... but would place benchmarks in his contract to keep the colts protected...and mixon on the right maturation path to being a great man and hopefully a great professional running back.

Great man?  Ok....

So here's the way I see this as Ballard stated the board will be set come draft day.  If he is on the board and the board is ranked by BPA regardless of risks and he falls to any of your picks including 1st and he is your highest ranked player at that point you take him.  Talent is there and you have decided to take the flak since he is on your board.  You shouldn't hesitate unless you get an awesome trade.  You take him and move forward and absorb the heat a few months as Ballard stated.

6.0 = Mid to Late 2nd Round Value

5. (rsSO) JOE MIXON–OKLAHOMA (C)
6006|228 lbs|3SO Oakley, Calif. (Freedom) 7/24/1996 (age 20) #25
MEASUREABLES Arm: 30 1/8 | Hand: 10 1/4 | Wingspan: 74 1/2 COMBINE N/A (invite rescinded)
PRO DAY 40-YD: 4.45 | 10-YD: 1.51 | 20-YD: 2.62 | BP: 21 | VJ: 35 | BJ: 09’10” Total: (25/9) SS: 4.27 | 3C: 7.10
Each NFL team will have to determine Mixon’s off field status and will ultimately be decided by the owner. On the field, he is a more explosive Matt Forte. Mixon offers similar versatility as a runner and receiver as Forte, who has continued his career with the Jets and through nine seasons has 13,794 yards and 72 touchdowns combined through the ground and air.
Possesses terrific initial quickness and lateral agility for a player of his size, eluding defenders in close quarters with side-steps and jump-cuts and zipping through holes with instant acceleration and the speed to score from any point on the field. Mixon is a natural with the ball in his hands, showing excellent anticipation, vision and patience to set up his blocks as a running back and returner. He is more powerful than his tall frame might imply, lowering his shoulders into would-be tacklers and showing good leg drive, forward lean and determination to finish runs. He is stronger than he looks, showing good balance to absorb hits and keep his feet churning through contact. Mixon is a legitimate weapon as a receiver, showing above average hand-eye coordination to secure the ball without losing speed and is an accomplished route-runner, showing the agility and speed to create separation. He is younger than most prospects, not turning 21 until July 24.
He lacks elite breakaway burst to outrun pursuit angles from savvy defenders. He can get a little careless with the ball, holding the ball loosely and away from his frame, at times, and fumbled six times in two seasons with the Sooners (including three times against rival Texas in 2016).