Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tight End in the draft?

If anyone listened to Ballard or Pagano talk about the Dwayne Allen trade, they sounded very interested in the tight ends in this years' draft. To the point it has me thinking they intend on drafting one this year. 

Is it just me or would anyone else be unsettled if we spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on a TE? I liked the move to trade Allen(other than that it was to the Patriots), but I was glad because it was going to allow Doyle and Swoope to show their abilities better. 

I could see using a 6th or 7th round pick on one to be our No. 3 this year. But we don't have any late round picks. Even saying that, I would rather our No. 3 be a veteran in case Doyle or Swoope goes down. 

Good question, next year possibly??  No clue but we'll find out @ the end of this month if they plan on drafting one!  Maybe they bring in one via UDFA?  Also, they did bring in Brandon Williams from Seattle, he may be an effective third.  I'm with ya though I wouldn't really like to see one drafted this year, maybe next pending on how Swoope/Williams pan out.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I think it would be foolish not to get one of the better TE's in this talented group.

Agreed. Gotta take advantage of great position classes other than QB and WR where this team seems set. 

Having said that indy doesn't need to be drafting a TE in the very early rounds. Gotta also take advantage of the good pass rushing and secondary class. 

13 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Good question, next year possibly??  No clue but we'll find out @ the end of this month if they plan on drafting one!  Maybe they bring in one via UDFA?  Also, they did bring in Brandon Williams from Seattle, he may be an effective third.  I'm with ya though I wouldn't really like to see one drafted this year, maybe next pending on how Swoope/Williams pan out.

Yeah I'm perfectly okay with Williams as our third for this upcoming season. Doyle, Swoope, and Williams is a good trio of Tight Ends with a lot of potential. 

I would be okay signing an UDFA(which I'm sure we will for training camp), but I really want the veteran presence of Williams as our Number 3 in case he gets thrown into a starting role. Our offense can't afford to have a rookie tight end out there missing blocks consistently. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Agreed. Gotta take advantage of great position classes other than QB and WR where this team seems set. 

Having said that indy doesn't need to be drafting a TE in the very early rounds. Gotta also take advantage of the good pass rushing and secondary class. 

The Tight End class is good. Not great IMO. This draft is loaded with DB's, RB's, and pass rushers. We simply don't have enough picks to draft a Tight End unless it's a talent you could not pass up. If O.J. Howard fell to us in the second, I could understand drafting him there. 

But with all of our needs, we should hold off on the Tight End position right now IMO. 

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'd like to see Ballard draft a high upside TE like Jonnu Smith in the late 4th/early 5th round. He has been compared to Delanie Walker at times. The early picks should be spent mostly on defense and maybe RB.

I would be fine with him with our 5th round pick, but I think their is too much talent at linebacker, corner, and running back to grab a tight end unless he is an obvious steal. 

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I think it would be foolish not to get one of the better TE's in this talented group.

I think it would be foolish to draft a tight end high in the draft. 

All of the "better" tight ends will be gone before we pick in the third round(our first two picks will likely go to a corner, linebacker, or D-Line)

O.J. Howard is the only clear cut star at Tight End coming out of this draft. David Njoku, Jack Butte, Evan Engram, and Adam Shaheen are the next best. All will likely be gone by the early third. 

Our top position needs in order: CB, ILB, NT, OLB, RB, FS, DE, G, OT. 

Arguable if in the exact order, but I think most of us will agree all 9 of those positions are in a bigger need than in tight end. 

16 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

If anyone listened to Ballard or Pagano talk about the Dwayne Allen trade, they sounded very interested in the tight ends in this years' draft. To the point it has me thinking they intend on drafting one this year. 

Is it just me or would anyone else be unsettled if we spent a 3rd or 4th round pick on a TE? I liked the move to trade Allen(other than that it was to the Patriots), but I was glad because it was going to allow Doyle and Swoope to show their abilities better. 

I could see using a 6th or 7th round pick on one to be our No. 3 this year. But we don't have any late round picks. Even saying that, I would rather our No. 3 be a veteran in case Doyle or Swoope goes down. 

IMO they WILL draft a TE in the 4th or 5th round. Bank it!

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it would be foolish to draft a tight end high in the draft. 

All of the "better" tight ends will be gone before we pick in the third round(our first two picks will likely go to a corner, linebacker, or D-Line)

O.J. Howard is the only clear cut star at Tight End coming out of this draft. David Njoku, Jack Butte, Evan Engram, and Adam Shaheen are the next best. All will likely be gone by the early third. 

Our top position needs in order: CB, ILB, NT, OLB, RB, FS, DE, G, OT. 

Arguable if in the exact order, but I think most of us will agree all 9 of those positions are in a bigger need than in tight end. 

BPA is what most GM's preach, at least that's what they tell you. Just look at Supes signature. Our current TE's are not as Hot as many here try to believe. Doyle was a pleasant surprise last year. Good hands, decent blocker and versatile. But he's a in the flats & short zone player. Not going to stretch the D or draw extra attention from others too himself. Coaches seem to like Swoope but still learning AND unproven.

A top TE would help the O very much and along with a good RB. That cab propel our O to maybe Top 5 or better. We can only go as far as Luck and our offense takes us.

If this is really such a deep and great defensive draft, we can get good defensive players thruout draft.

41 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Hope it's Bucky Hodges or Jonnu Smith.

I like Bucky Hodges. Don't know much about Jonnu Smith. If we could get Hodges in the fifth, I would be content. I think it really all depends on who is available. I do agree that we should go BPA.

With this draft, I believe that there will be a lot of players that are rated high at each pick. I would rather go defense. 

A healthy Luck is going to make a tight end look better. It's nice to have a game changing TE, but it isn't necessary. Especially if we go more 3 WR sets this year. I'm all for getting a TE next year if Doyle and Swoope don't play as good as I think they can. We need so much help on defense, I would rather pick almost all defense other than a RB and maybe a RG or RT. 

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Go with Doyle, Swoope, Williams and a UDFA for TE. The only offensive picks should be Lamp or a RB in the 

later rounds.

Agree. Except I don't want Lamp with our 1st pick. I don't think drafting a center and a guard back to back years with your first round picks is the best way to go about things. We need a defensive playmaker to help our defense improve. 

We got our franchise center for years in Kelly, let the others battle it out for the starting RG and RT spot. 

25 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Agree. Except I don't want Lamp with our 1st pick. I don't think drafting a center and a guard back to back years with your first round picks is the best way to go about things. We need a defensive playmaker to help our defense improve. 

We got our franchise center for years in Kelly, let the others battle it out for the starting RG and RT spot. 

Not sure which way Ballard is going to go in the first round but he stated 

The lines and defense is always a priority with his decisions. Lamp with 

the first pick would back up his words. 

The first pick should be on the lines or defense and TE shouldn't even

be on the radar in this draft. Picking a TE in this draft would show 

That Ballard would be using the same blueprint of the last two

GM'S in building a soft roster instead of a smash your face lineup.

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Not sure which way Ballard is going to go in the first round but he stated 

The lines and defense is always a priority with his decisions. Lamp with 

the first pick would back up his words. 

The first pick should be on the lines or defense and TE shouldn't even

be on the radar in this draft. Picking a TE in this draft would show 

That Ballard would be using the same blueprint of the last two

GM'S in building a soft roster instead of a smash your face lineup.

Exactly. We need to build the trenches and finally build the monster. I trust Ballard to build this team well. I just wouldn't agree with drafting a Tight End unless it's our late 4th or 5th. 

8 hours ago, SP_21 said:

George Kittle. End of discussion. 

Excellent blocker, great athleticism, and good hands. 

He's severely underrated so grabbing him with one of our 4ths is possible. 

He's getting media buzz!! Mayock has him as his 5th TE. Ahead of butt shaheen legget smith Hodges all those guys. If he's there in the 4 I'm happy but the blocking with the athleticism probably makes him a mid-late 3rd

Michael Roberts from Toledo with a late 4th. One of the better blocking TEs in the class, great red zone target, and a big frame. Fills all the holes DA left and does it with a bigger body and less injuries. Not a great athlete but is the perfect Y TE. That's all DA was and Brandon Williams and Roberts compete for the spot. If we don't draft one I'm cool too, I'm really hoping Williams could be exactly that plus a great athlete. 

5 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Michael Roberts from Toledo with a late 4th. One of the better blocking TEs in the class, great red zone target, and a big frame. Fills all the holes DA left and does it with a bigger body and less injuries. Not a great athlete but is the perfect Y TE. That's all DA was and Brandon Williams and Roberts compete for the spot. If we don't draft one I'm cool too, I'm really hoping Williams could be exactly that plus a great athlete. 

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I think Doyle and Swoope deserve the opportunity. And I think they will excel. Williams will be a good number 3. I'm confident in the group we have now. 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:00 PM, Colts1324 said:

We don't have a 6th or 7th so...