Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says If Peyton Wants To Play Here Next Year, Then That's What Will Happen

coltsblue1844

well according to Schefter and Mort, Peyton is willing to sign a new contract that includes ZERO guaranteed money and have it ALL in the form of "bonuses"...such as he gets a "bonus" each year if he's the starter on opening day and then another at the end of the season based on how many games he played and how he performed and then again for the playoffs and performance...and according to them, this type of contract IS allowed by the new CBA. So with that said, no one needs to freak out when we dont pay the option bonus on March 8, because its more likely that he will play for a completely new contract anyhow.

It all depends on how rich the new contract will be.

Any LTBE (likely to be earned) incentives hit the cap, as does his new salary, on top of the $10.4MM you incurred from releasing him.

Current situation: If the Colts pay him $28MM due March 8, and he plays all of 2012, his cap hit in 2012 will be $17MM.

New situation: If the Colts cut him before March 8, the acceleration of pro-rated portions of the signing bonuses result in a $10.4MM hit to the 2012 cap.

The total sum of what you intend to structure for PM under a new contract (including LTBEs) will need to total less than $6.6MM, otherwise the cap hit will be more than the cap hit in the old contract for 2012.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on how rich the new contract will be.

Any LTBE (likely to be earned) incentives hit the cap, as does his new salary, on top of the $10.4MM you incurred from releasing him.

Current situation: If the Colts pay him $28MM due March 8, and he plays all of 2012, his cap hit in 2012 will be $17MM.

New situation: If the Colts cut him before March 8, the acceleration of pro-rated portions of the signing bonuses result in a $10.4MM hit to the 2012 cap.

The total sum of what you intend to structure for PM under a new contract (including LTBEs) will need to total less than $6.6MM, otherwise the cap hit will be more than the cap hit in the old contract for 2012.

well i'm sure that both sides can figure out a way to do it. Also, that $10.4mil is just for 2012 if we dont pay the bonus and then negotiate a new deal...so worst case, we have a higher cap hit this year and then a much lower one for the remainder of the contract

well i'm sure that both sides can figure out a way to do it. Also, that $10.4mil is just for 2012 if we dont pay the bonus and then negotiate a new deal...so worst case, we have a higher cap hit this year and then a much lower one for the remainder of the contract

Yes, the $10.4MM hit is for 2012 only. And that is the sticking point. If you want to negotiate a deal with PM for lower overall contract value, because of the cap hits, you must do so with this $10.4 already over your head. Keep in mind, every million dollars you give to PM that hits the 2012 cap, is a million dollars that you cannot spend on FAs, in what the owner of the team has already termed a rebuilding year.

Yes, the $10.4MM hit is for 2012 only. And that is the sticking point. If you want to negotiate a deal with PM for lower overall contract value, because of the cap hits, you must do so with this $10.4 already over your head. Keep in mind, every million dollars you give to PM that hits the 2012 cap, is a million dollars that you cannot spend on FAs, in what the owner of the team has already termed a rebuilding year.

The owner said that we are rebuilding in SOME areas, and that we would also be keeping important veterans.

And my point about the cap is that the ONLY year that it would have an effect on our cap is next year...it wouldnt be hard to make it a small cap # for this year to go with that $10.4...

And while you're right, every dollar we give to Peyton is a dollar we cant give to other free agents...but seriously, if Peyton is healthy, what free agent would possibly have a bigger impact on the team than Peyton would?

I think Irsay is saying the ball is in Peyton's court. That is up to him to bring down his price so that the Colts can accommodate him and Luck on the same payroll. If they can work something out, that is great!

and Peyton reportedly already has countered what Irsay said by saying that he would be willing to sign a contract with ZERO guaranteed dollars...that it can be strictly incentive based, based on how many games he plays and how well he performs...that would be a no lose situation for the team

I hope Irsay makes his decision March 7 so Peyton gets as much time as he can to rehab and recover. Btw i recently joined this forum and was wondering why i cant start a new topic??

In order for newer users to become acclimated with the discussions in the Colts forums, as well as to prevent spammers and advertisers from polluting the discussion forums, New Members must have a minimum of 15 posts or comments before they are able to begin a new topic in all forums. Further, New Members may not post more than 5 replies within a 24 hour period. Please do not abuse this restriction by posting spam. Doing so will result in the closing of your account. (New Members who have questions should message one of the moderators .)

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

and Peyton reportedly already has countered what Irsay said by saying that he would be willing to sign a contract with ZERO guaranteed dollars...that it can be strictly incentive based, based on how many games he plays and how well he performs...that would be a no lose situation for the team

this was in regard to make it easy fopr other teams in free agency not to wory

Peyton Manning is willing to structure his contract in a way that could expedite how quickly he is signed if or when the Indianapolis Colts release him.

Manning is willing to structure his contract in a way that could expedite how quickly he is signed if or when the Indianapolis Colts release him.

Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources.

Manning's doctors have medically cleared him to be able to resume his football career after three surgeries, including a neck-fusion procedure. Colts owner Jim Irsay, however, said Thursday night on Twitter that Manning hasn't been medically cleared to play by Colts doctors.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bdQyN?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Peyton Manning is willing to structure his contract in a way that could expedite how quickly he is signed if or when the Indianapolis Colts release him.

Manning is willing to structure his contract in a way that could expedite how quickly he is signed if or when the Indianapolis Colts release him.

Manning is completely open to creating a contract in which he would be paid little or no guaranteed money up front and he would have to earn every cent he makes strictly through performance, according to sources.

Manning's doctors have medically cleared him to be able to resume his football career after three surgeries, including a neck-fusion procedure. Colts owner Jim Irsay, however, said Thursday night on Twitter that Manning hasn't been medically cleared to play by Colts doctors.

http://bleacherrepor...tm_campaign=nfl

Of course he did. How could folks here ever think his concern is money. He declined being the highest paid over Brady so the Colts could pay others. Now is it any surprise he'd take even less?

These guys (manning and irsay) will work it out. I just hope soon so I don't have to read hater-logic anymore.

here are some examples of the hater-logic...

Another team:

If I say Alex Smith didn't lose the 49ers game (in the Peyton to niners thread), so why should Peyton go there, the haters say "he was inaccurate in the last drive"...well according to the same hater logic, Peyton will be even more inaccurate considering he can't even hold a football.

Cap:

Keep making these elaborate cap posts...because its a fact that EVERY player that becomes a FA is going to be resigned?....As soon as a Mathis or a Wayne or any one of the FAs we'll have LEAVE, your math goes out the window...All your equations are based on resigning everyone on the team except Peyton and then figuring the cap based on a roster signing bonus on 3/8. THATS INSANE.

Not healthy enough for the Colts doctors:

Guys, team doctors can spin anything the way FO wants them to spin. Its like a court of law. You lay out the evidence and a bunch of "hired experts" testify and spin the evidence in their favor. Again, healthy enough for another team, healthy enough for the Colts.

No one wants a 90% Peyton:

No one can read a D like Peyton. Brady (as we saw last night doesn't have a rocket arm..he underthrew Gronk for a gamer winner) but he is smart and can pick you apart all day underneath. I'd rather have a guy who can audible and pick you a part then someone who will force turnovers for 1-3 years while they learn.

Personally I'm just going to sit back and wait because I don't know what to believe anymore. I would love to see Peyton and Luck both with horseshoes on their heads. I also want Mathis & Wayne back. Besides that I also want to draft Blackmon, Kalil and Claiborne...but even a big dummy like me knows we can't have it all. Lets just wait and see.

here are some examples of the hater-logic...

Another team:

If I say Alex Smith didn't lose the 49ers game (in the Peyton to niners thread), so why should Peyton go there, the haters say "he was inaccurate in the last drive"...well according to the same hater logic, Peyton will be even more inaccurate considering he can't even hold a football.

If PM is a FA, he is available to go wherever a team wants him. Would any team want him, if he cannot perform at least to the ability of their current QB? We do not know at what level PM can perform at this time.

Cap:

Keep making these elaborate cap posts...because its a fact that EVERY player that becomes a FA is going to be resigned?....As soon as a Mathis or a Wayne or any one of the FAs we'll have LEAVE, your math goes out the window...All your equations are based on resigning everyone on the team except Peyton and then figuring the cap based on a roster signing bonus on 3/8. THATS INSANE.

The current PM contract is what it is. All the cap posts I have seen from firejimcaldwell and myself state facts. We do not talk about FAs being re-signed. We talk about the QB position and its hit to the salary cap. Is it reasonable for a team to potentially allocate 32% of the team salary cap to a player who cannot play? You don't have to be a financial genius to answer that question.

Not healthy enough for the Colts doctors:

Guys, team doctors can spin anything the way FO wants them to spin. Its like a court of law. You lay out the evidence and a bunch of "hired experts" testify and spin the evidence in their favor. Again, healthy enough for another team, healthy enough for the Colts.

The team neurosurgeon commented on the spinal fixation and the medical clearance to play based on a safety issue. It is not a comment on the performance issue. What we know at this time is that Peyton has been cleared to play football from a safety perspective, and we are not clear at what level his performance may be due to the uncertainty of his arm's nerve regeneration issue. If it was at 100%, why would you think PM said in his interview last week, that he is still working hard at rehabbing?

No one wants a 90% Peyton:

No one can read a D like Peyton. Brady (as we saw last night doesn't have a rocket arm..he underthrew Gronk for a gamer winner) but he is smart and can pick you apart all day underneath. I'd rather have a guy who can audible and pick you a part then someone who will force turnovers for 1-3 years while they learn.

Everyone will have a slightly different take on what an acceptable level of performance may be. If a QB can only throw it underneath, opponents can easily game plan to stop that, since there is no long threat.

Personally I'm just going to sit back and wait because I don't know what to believe anymore. I would love to see Peyton and Luck both with horseshoes on their heads. I also want Mathis & Wayne back. Besides that I also want to draft Blackmon, Kalil and Claiborne...but even a big dummy like me knows we can't have it all. Lets just wait and see.

I agree that this is the best position to take....wait and see what transpires.

Let's take a look at what Irsay said...

"I hope that it works out, and that he’s here with us, but like I said, I want to hear from him, and just see what his hopes are in terms of how we work it through with ALL the salary cap issues,” Irsay said. “But his health is obviously the first concern as well."

The emphasis is mine to illustrate how it reads to me. IMO, this is far from any guarantee that Peyton will be back next year. In fact, it is not much different from what he has been saying all along. Basically to paraphrase he is essentially saying this,

"Yo Peyton dude, we'd love to have you back next year if you still wanna be here. However, you know I need to have some reassurance that you are healthy and good to go man. Also giving this uncertainty about your health your contract is killing our cap dude. So if you wanna play with us, we need to come up with something better here. Now if you can show me that you are 100% and you are willing to play for less money...welcome back to Indy baby."

The ball would then essentially be in Peyton's court at that point. If Peyton is healthy but doesn't want to play here for less money given the circumstances so he can remain a Colt, he then looks like the bad guy. Can you see the posturing that is going on here? They are battling to win the court of public opinion.

Precisely this. I read it as, "If Peyton is willing to take a pay cut and show us that he wants to play here, then that is what will happen." He has long said that it isn't about money. Anyone with a brain can deduce that 28 million is a lot of cabbage, and the uncertainty at this point with Peyton's arm is going to make that a risky option to exercise. And with Luck sitting there for the taking, it would be better to take that money and put it elsewhere.

I really have a hard time believing that we will have both Peyton and Luck on the roster. Too much money at the QB position, too much incentive to move on from Manning at a later date, too much of all the wrong things really. Some of you love the prospect of Peyton tutoring Luck, but it really is far fetched. If Luck is the best prospect since Manning, there is no reason to stunt his development and spend 28 million on a guy who will keep him on the sidelines, especially when that guy will be locked in for at least 2-3 seasons.

And really, what this all boils down to Peyton wanting to play here vs. Peyton doing something about that option bonus. If he really wants to play here, he will let them do something with that option bonus.

But for PM, as this could be nearing the end of his career, his odds of getting a 28 million payout from perhaps the Dolphins will be better now than after this season should he take less to stay and show signs of not being 100%. In other words, if he defers the option till next season, and then starts this season and tanks, many NFL teams will shy away from giving him any sort of large guaranteed sum.

We aren't going to sign any Free agents anyway. Just our own. If he can play, & he wants to be a Colt, tear up the agreement & restructure a new one that is more cap friendly! They the front office can call it a REBUILDING YEAR, but HONESTLY a lot of the pieces are here right now. Other than a few veterans this is a pretty young team!

We aren't going to sign any Free agents anyway. Just our own. If he can play, & he wants to be a Colt, tear up the agreement & restructure a new one that is more cap friendly! They the front office can call it a REBUILDING YEAR, but HONESTLY a lot of the pieces are here right now. Other than a few veterans this is a pretty young team!

You are right......we dont need to rebuild...yet..we have quality veteran cornerstones on offense and defense..

Everybody knows why we were 2-14 this year, 16-3 in 2009 and 10-6 in 2010.

We can be 10-6 in 2012...and 9-7 just won the Super Bowl.

They the front office can call it a REBUILDING YEAR, but HONESTLY a lot of the pieces are here right now. Other than a few veterans this is a pretty young team!

I thought the owner, Mr. Irsay said the team was rebuilding. Judging by his actions thus far (new GM, new HC, predominantly new coaching staff), I think he's right. We will watch and wait how this rebuilding trickles down to the draft and the FAs and the evolution of the upcoming season's roster.

I personally, have no qualms with Irsay doing things like this. He's still giving Peyton choices, which is more than many other great QBs were given, and I truly believe he wants Peyton back, but at least he's being smart about it, acknowledging first he needs to be healthy then leaving it to Manning to help fit in with "all the salary cap issues". I don't think it's as simple as him craftely ridding the organization of Peyton, he's just using his brain.

I thought the owner, Mr. Irsay said the team was rebuilding. Judging by his actions thus far (new GM, new HC, predominantly new coaching staff), I think he's right. We will watch and wait how this rebuilding trickles down to the draft and the FAs and the evolution of the upcoming season's roster.

Irsay did say that, but what does rebuilding mean. To me it is gutting the entire roster trading away valuable parts & trying to get it right with new young guys & hopfully winning in 2,3,4, years. If Peyton is back next year I could easily see a scenero of wrost to frist. If we start waiving players left & right, Peyton will walk on his own he IMO doesn't want any part of a REBUILDING PROJECT with NO chance to WIN!

Irsay did say that, but what does rebuilding mean. To me it is gutting the entire roster trading away valuable parts & trying to get it right with new young guys & hopfully winning in 2,3,4, years. If Peyton is back next year I could easily see a scenero of wrost to frist. If we start waiving players left & right, Peyton will walk on his own he IMO doesn't want any part of a REBUILDING PROJECT with NO chance to WIN!

What you think REBUILDING means is irrelevant. It is really what Mr. Irsay means by REBUILDING. He said the team is rebuilding, and he has acted to accomplishing that goal thus far. We don't yet know how this will be carried out with the roster yet. We will begin to know when March 8 comes about, and then the draft in late April, then the various announced and unannounced FA signings.

If the Colts pay the option bonus to Peyton on March 8, Peyton is a Colt, and he really cannot walk on his own because he will be contractually bound to play for the Colts.

Without knowing all the exact figures, I'd assume the Colts need to keep the PM 2012 cap hit at 17mil or lower. I've heard some estimates that signing a 1st overall draft pick(Luck) would probably hit the cap for around 4mil. This seems low to me. Any insight there? In any case 25mil or less in the QB position seems paramount. Another question for ya frog. After a PM release, would there be any strategy to the timing of signing a new 2012 contract for PM as to increasing the value of the #1 draft pick?

I think Irsay is saying the ball is in Peyton's court. That is up to him to bring down his price so that the Colts can accommodate him and Luck on the same payroll. If they can work something out, that is great!

To me this is a calculated shot fired in the little media war that has been going on this past week. Irsay is coming out and saying this to put pressure on Manning because now Irsay can say there is no blood on his hands if Manning is playing for another team next season. I do not know if it will work in the eyes of the fans, but I definately do not think this is Irsay just being a nice guy saying we will do everything to keep him here.

Without knowing all the exact figures, I'd assume the Colts need to keep the PM 2012 cap hit at 17mil or lower.

I would agree with you. If the Colts release PM before 3/8, it would trigger an immediate $10.4 mil cap hit.

If the Colts negotiate a new deal with PM, then the new deal must have a cap hit in 2012 of no more than $6.6 mil to be the same total cap hit as it would have been under the old contract ($17 mil). You can put your own probability as to the likelihood of that happening.

I've heard some estimates that signing a 1st overall draft pick(Luck) would probably hit the cap for around 4mil. This seems low to me. Any insight there? In any case 25mil or less in the QB position seems paramount.

If we assume that a #1 draft pick will receive a 5% increase of Cam Newton (last year's #1 pick) contract, the contract will look like this:

2012: $15.6MM real dollars, and $4.2MM cap hit

2013: $1.4MM real dollars, and $5.2MM cap hit

2014: $2.5MM real dollars, and $6.3MM cap hit

2015: $3.6MM real dollars, and $7.4MM cap hit

Totals: $23.1MM real dollars and $23.1MM cap hit over 4 years.

The 2012 total team salary cap is projected to be $121.2MM

If PM is back under the current contract, and the Colts pick a QB with the #1 pick, and a #3 QB at league minimum, we have QBs hitting the 2012 cap with $17+$4.2+$0.4=$21.6 or 18% of the team cap.

If PM gets the option bonus and retires before June 1, then that hits the 2012 cap at $38.4MM (32% of the team cap). You can add the other QBs here. It will only make it look worse.

Typically, you don't want to spend more than 20% of your total team cap on the QB position, because if you do, you limit your ability to sign quality/quantity of other players needed to fill out the team. I haven't done the analysis, but it would be interesting to see what % of the team cap is allocated to QBs for other teams.

Another question for ya frog. After a PM release, would there be any strategy to the timing of signing a new 2012 contract for PM as to increasing the value of the #1 draft pick?

The strategy could work or it could backfire. Assuming a PM release before 3/8, you have 2 possible strategies:

a) sign new contract with PM before the draft.

b) do not sign new contract with PM before the draft.

Under scenario A, you are signalling to other teams, that PM is back, and that the #1 pick is now available for potential trade, which may or may not generate adequate interest:

A1) The Colts have PM, they don't need the #1 pick, let's lowball them for it.

A2) The Colts have PM, let's put together a good package to trade for it.

Under scenario B, you are signalling to other teams, that you intend to use the #1 pick, which may make other teams react in one of 2 ways:

B1) The Colts really need that #1 pick, and it will cost us more to pry it away from them

B2) The Colts really need that #1 pick, and they will not give it up, no matter what we put on the table for it.

IMO, it doesn't make sense to use PM signing to influence pick value.

Jim Irsay said saturday night that Peyton Manning can play for the Colts next season, if that's what he wants to do. Provided he's able to play, and wants to stay in Indy, he will be our QB next season, and we will still take Andrew Luck for our future QB once Peyton does retire.

Irsay said that he wants to sit down with Peyton and talk about what Peyton wants to do and what his hopes are as far as working with the salary cap etc.

When asked if Peyton will be the Colts QB next season, Jim said

“If he wants to, yes, he will,” Irsay said. “You know, I think that’s the thing. I want to hear from him, and if he wants to be here, and he wants to play here, you know, then that’s what it’s going to be.”

here is the link to the full story: http://www.wishtv.co...n-remain-a-colt

I'm willing to bet that THIS doesnt get any air time on ESPN or NFL Network, though, because it strongly goes against what they have all been telling us for the past couple weeks.

To me, its good news...shows that Jim DOES want Peyton here, but they just have to talk things through and iron out the details for a new contract instead of sticking with the current one.

I DO want Luck to be here as our FUTURE...but i'm not ready to give up on having Peyton here as our guy right NOW

Jim Irsay hasn't been very respectful of Peyton lately, he needs to start realizing that. Obviously, and I mean obviously, Peyton wants to play for the colts for the rest of his career. That seems like a silly statement by Irsay, of course Manning wants to stay with the colts.

I definitely still want us to trade the #1 pick.

Why aren't all contracts be incentive based. That how it should be. You do this, you get this.

If you owned a team, you could negotiate that kind of contract with all your players. Or at least try. I doubt it would work out for you, though. Especially with the new rookie pay scale in place, which guarantees pay for first rounders.

I would agree with you. If the Colts release PM before 3/8, it would trigger an immediate $10.4 mil cap hit.

If the Colts negotiate a new deal with PM, then the new deal must have a cap hit in 2012 of no more than $6.6 mil to be the same total cap hit as it would have been under the old contract ($17 mil). You can put your own probability as to the likelihood of that happening.

This is only true if you assume the Colts primary objective is to save cap money in 2012. They may be willing to put up with a higher cap hit in 2012 and have more savings in subsequent years. I assume that's the case, just like most people do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

This is only true if you assume the Colts primary objective is to save cap money in 2012. They may be willing to put up with a higher cap hit in 2012 and have more savings in subsequent years. I assume that's the case, just like most people do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

That may be the case. However, if you look at the state of the current situation and the current salary cap they are looking at in 2012.....the current contract, plus a #1 pick at QB, and a #3 QB will equate to about 18% of the total team cap. That's not so bad.

However, if you factor in the possibility that PM is paid his option bonus and retires without playing in 2012....that will be cap suicide....32% of the total team cap taken up by one player who will not play pretty much says it all. The franchise will be set back at least for 2 years.

That is why many people think that the most reasonable way forward is to release PM before the option bonus is due if he is not back at 100%, thereby "only" hitting the cap at $10.4MM. Whether the Colts will then be successful in negotiating another contract with PM is yet to be known.

Mr Irsay has said over and over if PM is healthy he will be the Colts QB,hope he true to his word.

Yes, he did say that. However, we have no idea what Mr. Irsay means by the word "healthy".

It could mean:

a) Can withstand an NFL hit

b) Can throw the ball like he did before the injury

c) Can throw the ball about 80% of the level he was at before the injury.

d) something else

From Mr. Irsay's Friday tweet, it is not A.

That may be the case. However, if you look at the state of the current situation and the current salary cap they are looking at in 2012.....the current contract, plus a #1 pick at QB, and a #3 QB will equate to about 18% of the total team cap. That's not so bad.

However, if you factor in the possibility that PM is paid his option bonus and retires without playing in 2012....that will be cap suicide....32% of the total team cap taken up by one player who will not play pretty much says it all. The franchise will be set back at least for 2 years.

That is why many people think that the most reasonable way forward is to release PM before the option bonus is due if he is not back at 100%, thereby "only" hitting the cap at $10.4MM. Whether the Colts will then be successful in negotiating another contract with PM is yet to be known.

If Manning isn't 100% in March, and the option bonus can't be pushed back a month, then he's going to be released, no two ways about it. Just so you know, if you ever see me discussing the possibility of Manning staying, it's under the assumption that he's healthy enough to play at a high level.

It would be an absolute disaster to pick up the bonus and then have Manning retire. You would need some significant certainties regarding his ability to play.

You are right......we dont need to rebuild...yet..we have quality veteran cornerstones on offense and defense..

Yes. A wise man once said that if you get into the playoffs you're only 2 wins from the super bowl.

I like the idea of using Mathis and Freeney with a new scheme. I like the Idea of keeping the system that PM built and transitioning to the next generation. We still need ST help bad and a running game.

Yes. A wise man once said that if you get into the playoffs you're only 2 wins from the super bowl.

I like the idea of using Mathis and Freeney with a new scheme. I like the Idea of keeping the system that PM built and transitioning to the next generation. We still need ST help bad and a running game.

. Just so you know, if you ever see me discussing the possibility of Manning staying, it's under the assumption that he's healthy enough to play at a high level.

It would be an absolute disaster to pick up the bonus and then have Manning retire. You would need some significant certainties regarding his ability to play.

I think this goes for everyone here.

http://bleacherrepor...tm_campaign=nfl

Peyton didnt say "teams other than the Colts", that is the media's spin again, though. The fact is, even if he DOES sign such a contract with the Colts, we will HAVE TO RELEASE HIM FIRST, by not picking up the $28million option, and THEN negotiate such a contract as the one mentioned.

Everyone is saying "but he didnt say for the Colts!"...but he didnt say for ANY specific team...it simply implies that it would be AFTER we dont pick up the $28million option...which is what would have to happen if he signs it with us, too!

I'd even go as far to venture that the Colts have to avoid the 28mil payout even if PM is 100%. The one element not planned for by JI & PM was gettin the #1 overall pick. Retaining a 100% PM with a #1 pick or a slew of new talent via trade of the #1 pick only benefits the colts and PM by scrapping the 28 mil. A healthy PM and JI work out the cap puzzle to the benefit of the colts for years to come may actually mean the Colts could have their cake(PM) and eat it too (QB outside PM remaining time). That would be one of the slickest moves pulled off by an owner in history.

Peyton has to be cut to be kept.

I'd even go as far to venture that the Colts have to avoid the 28mil payout even if PM is 100%. The one element not planned for by JI & PM was gettin the #1 overall pick. Retaining a 100% PM with a #1 pick or a slew of new talent via trade of the #1 pick only benefits the colts and PM by scrapping the 28 mil. A healthy PM and JI work out the cap puzzle to the benefit of the colts for years to come may actually mean the Colts could have their cake(PM) and eat it too (QB outside PM remaining time). That would be one of the slickest moves pulled off by an owner in history.

Peyton has to be cut to be kept.

I think you are fantasizing too much here if you think PM will agree to something less than what he is getting under his current contract. He has not said he will be willing to accept less. Sure, it has been reported that sources close to him say that, but PM has not made any statement confirming that.

you aren't bill clinton, are you?

what's your definition of is?

Well, clearly Mr. Irsay did not consider the medical clearance to play football that was provided to PM by the neurosurgeon as qualifying for being "healthy".

"Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts. Team statement coming on Friday." - Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay via a tweet on Twitter at 1:25 a.m. [Friday] morning. .